Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FIRMWARE UPDATE! AP2 Local road driving...and holy crap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unrealistic to expect an advertised feature to work? How so? The legal basis is false claims and false advertising. Not sure what you are asking for, the evidence speaks for itself. Let me again refer you to the fake FSD video. Do you think this car actually exists or will function as shown in the video as claimed?

. . . But that's not how it was sold to me or what I expected. Therein lies the problem, I was baited into it.

I make it a point to make sure no one else buys a Tesla under the same expectation I had, ie that any advertised features work as expected (range, performance, blind-spot, forward collision, autopilot). Do not take Tesla's claims at face-value since they are blatantly false.

I've had so many friends, family, and strangers tell me they are interested in buying a Tesla as well. I wish I were in a position to recommend it. However, I have to disclose the reality that no, the car will not pick them up at curbside, it will not drive itself down the highway, no it won't make 300 miles, or anything that the general public has been lead to believe. I tell them to hold on to their hard earned money and wait until the features are actually available (maybe 2 years) and NOT buy a Tesla right now. Maybe in a few years from Tesla or a competing brand, but not now.

You could just tell them to read Tesla's website. Something you obviously failed to do.

upload_2017-2-19_15-11-8.png

upload_2017-2-19_15-11-45.png

above on the order page.

upload_2017-2-19_15-5-12.png

upload_2017-2-19_15-5-56.png

upload_2017-2-19_15-14-6.png

above on at Autopilot

Reactions: DJ 240V
I cannot understand how anybody can get angry at customers who expect what is on the bill of lading to be on the pallet regardless of fine print.

Perhaps if the AP2 was marketed as Pre-Order AP2 and Full Self Driving as the product descriptor, things would be different.

Personally, I'd have opted for a higher cost delta so folk were more understanding. Pre-Order at 50%, not 83% and 75%. Adjust the late price up to compensate.

• Disagree
Reactions: mhan00 and u00mem9
I cannot understand how anybody can get angry at customers who expect what is on the bill of lading to be on the pallet regardless of fine print.

Perhaps if the AP2 was marketed as Pre-Order AP2 and Full Self Driving as the product descriptor, things would be different.

Personally, I'd have opted for a higher cost delta so folk were more understanding. Pre-Order at 50%, not 83% and 75%. Adjust the late price up to compensate.

I cannot understand how anybody can get angry at Tesla when customers can't read the normal font website describing what to expect int he early stages of AP2.

I agree it would have been better to describe it as AP2 hardware with full AP2 software to enable EAP within x months and AP2 software to enable Full Self Driving within Y months subject to regulatory approval.

But that is how I read it anyway without having it spelled out.

The problem with selling at a discount early on is that it is hard to then raise the price later. When production limited better to temper demand at the early stages with full pricing and then let the demand grow from increased functionality at same price rather than raising price with the additional functionality. That's the price of early adoption.

Reactions: Helmuth
I cannot understand how anybody can get angry at Tesla when customers can't read the normal font website describing what to expect int he early stages of AP2.

I agree it would have been better to describe it as AP2 hardware with full AP2 software to enable EAP within x months and AP2 software to enable Full Self Driving within Y months subject to regulatory approval.

But that is how I read it anyway without having it spelled out.

The problem with selling at a discount early on is that it is hard to then raise the price later. When production limited better to temper demand at the early stages with full pricing and then let the demand grow from increased functionality at same price rather than raising price with the additional functionality. That's the price of early adoption.

It's only Early Adoption for lease buyers if the finished version is downloaded before their lease is up. It's joint custody if the finished system is delivered this year.

Elon Musk is without any doubts one of the greatest salesmen ever born. Who else could get customers to pay 10 k for an opportunity to test alpha software by putting their own and other peoples life at risk.

I'm talking about sudden full power braking at highway. It takes one fatal crash and this card house collapses.

So the hard braking has happened to me on multiple ocassions. Although in different parts of 405 and never in the same place twice. Every single time I did report it to Tesla and have them pull my logs.

Just yesterday it happened on southern 73 near new port beach again. Based on my experience , here is my hypothesis: The car is getting your attention with a quick break if the TACC is in doubt . If the hard brake is not accompanied with the FCW ( forward collision warning ) I don't think the car will slam the brakes and stop. Can you all confirm that every time the braking happened it's a quick slow and go ? It always seems the case for me.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
You could just tell them to read Tesla's website. Something you obviously failed to do.

View attachment 215485

View attachment 215486

above on the order page.

View attachment 215483

View attachment 215484

View attachment 215487

above on at Autopilot

We've been over this in other threads. You can't really hold buyers accountable for knowing something that wasn't provided at or before the time they purchased their vehicles. He who owns the web site can always change the language later, but nunc pro tunc doesn't apply to representations made by Tesla and sales people at the time of sale! Furthermore, nothing in the language you've quoted even remotely suggests that the software not only wasn't ready but hadn't even been written. The clear implication was that the only remaining hurdle was "regulatory approval," something over which Tesla obviously had no control. As it happens, nothing could be much further from the truth in the case of AP2. Watch the infamous Tesla self-driving video and then take an AP2 vehicle for a drive. Then tell us all what similarities you see. ZERO! On the legal issues surrounding misrepresentation, I would say to Elon: "This isn't Rocket Science!"

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C1RBNpsXEAIp4ii.jpg

Last edited:
I've got a new P90D (HW2 / AP2) and I'm new to the entire update process. My car shows version 17.5.28 while this thread is discussing 17.5.36. Is the rollout staged and if so by what logic - or do we know? Or...do I have a problem? Thanks!

How much did your car slow down?
I had a few hard breaks also. It felt really scary!
But I realized it never slowed down more than 5mph!!!
Even though it felt like decreasing 30mph or more...
Can't give you an absolute number as I was too busy taking corrective actions and not staring at the screen, but I've had it brake very hard, to the point it kicked in antilock. This was on TACC at the old 70 MPH max on I95 South. Don't remember now exactly where, but think it was between Baltimore and DC.

One person at the local SC claims they never heard oh AP2 hard braking for overhead signs. Real tempted to make the run to Richmond VA again and video the 10 or so times TACC brakes falsely. Would be interesting to see if there's been any Mothership learning that improved this route...

Not sure how much it slowed -- I was busy like @Joe F . What's also interesting is that I am pretty sure someone else on TMC has had the exact same thing happen under the exact same sign. It is the electronic express lanes open/close indicator when you are heading N on 90/94 around Fullerton or Diversey.

Then as I got on the express lanes, the car also gave the front collision alarm and hit the breaks (less significantly than just prior) for a shadow. Awesome. Wow.

We've been over this in other threads. You can't really hold buyers accountable for knowing something that wasn't provided at or before the time they purchased their vehicles. He who owns the web site can always change the language later, but nunc pro tunc doesn't apply to representations made by Tesla and sales people at the time of sale! Furthermore, nothing in the language you've quoted even remotely suggests that the software not only wasn't ready but hadn't even been written. The clear implication was that the only remaining hurdle was "regulatory approval," something over which Tesla obviously had no control. As it happens, nothing could be much further from the truth in the case of AP2. Watch the infamous Tesla self-driving video and then take an AP2 vehicle for a drive. Then tell us all what similarities you see. ZERO! On the legal issues surrounding misrepresentation, I would say to Elon: "This isn't Rocket Science!"

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C1RBNpsXEAIp4ii.jpg

Is the screenshot from the time you ordered?
Because it reads "is expected" to rollout in December 2016! It didn't say "it will rollout" in December 2016...
That was exactly my expectation when we order back on December 6! I didn't expect EAP before spring 2017 to work close to AP1.

• Disagree
Reactions: oktane and ABC2D
And, as stated in other threads, Tesla can't say "expected December" when they were fully aware there was no way they could possibly meet that expectation. They said "expected December" even in early January and even after Elon said that "hundreds of millions of miles" of testing would be needed. That works out to 10,000 miles per car. Most drivers drive that in about a year, not a month!

You obviously failed to read it when we made our orders -- as is pointed out above.

I accept your apology in advance.

"expected" =/ "guaranteed"

They said expected in December. Then in January revised to say features will be rolled out as validated.

It's taking longer than expected. That happened with AP1 too. And will happen with AP3.

What is really the deep cause of your suffering and torment?

Perhaps you may take comfort in these words which may resonate with you:
"If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done."
"The limits of my language means the limits of my world."

EM promises the ambitious to accomplish the ambitious. He usually succeeds -- Hôs epi to polu.

Patience is rewarded with delight.

These people already seem delighted by the same things that cause others so much suffering: AP 2.0 - Lets log our experiences

Last edited:
"expected" =/ "guaranteed"

They said expected in December. Then in January revised to say features will be rolled out as validated.

It's taking longer than expected. That happened with AP1 too. And will happen with AP3.

What is really the deep cause of your suffering and torment?

Perhaps you may take comfort in these words which may resonate with you:
"If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done."
"The limits of my language means the limits of my world."

EM promises the ambitious to accomplish the ambitious. He usually succeeds -- Hôs epi to polu.

bhzmark...do you have HW2 or HW1 currently?

• Funny
Reactions: NerdUno
Not sure how much it slowed -- I was busy like @Joe F . What's also interesting is that I am pretty sure someone else on TMC has had the exact same thing happen under the exact same sign. It is the electronic express lanes open/close indicator when you are heading N on 90/94 around Fullerton or Diversey.

Then as I got on the express lanes, the car also gave the front collision alarm and hit the breaks (less significantly than just prior) for a shadow. Awesome. Wow.

I drove that exact route from the Shedd up north to my house. I never had issues before but today we had 2 issues with the metal signs. If anything, I think the AI is learning bad things. Some AI needs to go to bed without dinner.

Expected to me is +/- 20% not +100% or more.

Let me put this another way. If I lease a HW2 car in Nov, expecting a decent AP2 in Dec and AP2 is only ready in summer/fall, I would not be happy. Basically, 1 year out of the 3 years lease, the car did not perform as expected.

They've launched HW2 mid October and said the software will be available in December. So 2 months + 20% equals... let's say 3 months :)
So they launched a not entirely usable update mid Jan., we are mid Feb. I can't rely on TACC to do a good job, I have no regular CC available, no auto rain sensor and no lane assist.

Not that I don't like what the they are doing, but they don't seem to learn from their mistakes(AP1 delays).

Last edited: