Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FIRMWARE UPDATE! AP2 Local road driving...and holy crap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
in my industry (medical) a beta device is something we ask our users to test for us. We pay them for the work - not the other way around....

Just sayin...

As for the AP1, I can confidently say that I have noticed measurable improvements on the AS performance as I continue to use it on my routine daily commute. It seems to find the lanes better, know when I need to split off on another highway, etc. I hope that the AP2 users are experiencing the same if not faster level of machine learning.

Why would you say perpetual beta? It has only been a few weeks since the main rollout started.

When you enable auto steer it even has a big disclaimer you need to accept - I assume that goes away in a few months when it is more stable.

On one of your points - I want to be fair though, the TACC doesn't have a disclaimer so #1 does concern me the most, but for auto steer it clearly lets you know what you are getting into. Also worth noting it basically slowed me from 70 to 60 - unless someone was following me very closely it would be fine. Wanted to just let folks know to be careful out there if you had someone close behind you - it just tapped on the breaks unexpectedly under a sign.

I expect all of these kinks to be gone in the next few months - if it goes beyond that... well, then I will be disappointed. But right now, with a few weeks under their belt? Yeah, I will let it slide and provide feedback as requested.

I say perpetual because that's the exact same disclaimer you accept with AP1. That I've been accepting for over a year. :)

It's the same way with AP1 where the disclaimer isn't for TACC or AEB. The disclaimer is only for AP, Summons, Autopark, etc.

With AP1 I don't expect the beta to ever go away.

Has anyone else noticed a tendency towards hyperbole on this site? Maybe it's just my perception. ;)

I'll admit I had to do an "expectation adjustment", but I'd still never drive anything else. FSD might be a kickstarter project, but I'm still looking forward to what may come.

I'll most likely be taking the beach road again today, just to experience a car that can drive itself under certain circumstances. I expect those circumstances will continue to grow in number, but I don't expect to be relieved of my duty to supervise the car's actions. I'm ok with being a backseat driver - especially since the computer doesn't get annoyed at me like my wife does when I tell her to quit tailgating.

Here's to the next update, may our speeds continue to increase.

Considering that Elon is the king of Hyperbole would suggest people who align with him would also be to some degree. It's hard not to get sucked into the excitement of it all. There is also plenty of reason to be excited. These are very exciting times in terms of self-driving, and Tesla is the only company that lets us experience its development in this way.

We have to temper our own expectations though, and to urge the Tesla to be a little more cautious.

There is a balance between trying to release this SW quickly while also not endangering someone's safety. There is big difference between supervising your cars actions in AP lane steering versus a braking action unexpectedly occurring especially if your wife is tailgating you.

With AP1 to my knowledge they only released one update that really messed with peoples safety. Where the car would suddenly slow down to 55mph (on a freeway) when it detected a car on the shoulder. When a lot of people reported issues they removed that behavior in the next update. So it's important to be vocal with Tesla in terms of emailing them.

@Sonny Daze - Yes lol. I was placated that there was progress based on the AP2 updates. I guess they know psychology better than me, with their irregular intermittent rewards. Already spoke with my attorney who I keep on retainer and he is ready whenever I am. He thinks it's a pretty straightforward case and very egregious.

I am hoping it doesn't come to that since there's a chance Tesla will prove me wrong, but I am prepared. In the event AP2 doesn't come to fruition and I want to be made whole, I doubt I will get any cooperation from Tesla.

Last edited:
Already spoke with my attorney who I keep on retainer and he is ready whenever I am. He thinks it's a pretty straightforward case and very egregious.

I am hoping it doesn't come to that since there's a chance Tesla will prove me wrong, but I am prepared. In the event AP2 doesn't come to fruition and I want to be made whole, I doubt I will get any cooperation from Tesla.

You're hilarious. Pure bluster. Go ahead and amaze me -- get a court judgment against Tesla. I look forward to seeing a pointer to a court case.

Just out of curiosity, what language in what contract that was signed are you planning to build this case on?

Reactions: Helmuth
For the record, your amazement or lack there of is not really relevant to me.

Despite the tone of confidence in your post, I don't think you have a very good understanding of the way consumer protection laws work in California. There is no contract or language required.

I suggest you do some reading on California's unfair competition law which is part of the Business and Professions Code §§ 17200 and 17500.

• Disagree
Reactions: Helmuth
I don't think you have a very good understanding of the way consumer protection laws work in California. There is no contract or language required.

So you go to court. This will perhaps happen eventually by 2018. At that point your car will have gotten everything promised and more via software update. But there you'll be in front of a judge trying to convince her that because it was amazing a few weeks or months later than you expected that you should get some significant compensation. You'll look like an utter imbecile. At the most optimistic you'll find a judge who says "Okay, you win. I award you $1."

I think you'll find that even in California there's a certain expectation that people plunking down $100K+ on a car are not cluelessly blinded by marketing. Caveat emptor. Really. But the conversation is pointless anyway, because it's all bluster. You will never, ever sue Tesla.

I think Tesla underestimated the value Mobileye brought to the table. It seems they are in over their heads a bit.

Hopefully hiring one of the greatest software development wizards away from Apple will put them back on track in due time (Chris Lattner, new VP of AutoPilot Software).

When car companies are buying small startups developing autonomous cars with 1 billion, I think competent software wizards with real experience in this field are hard to come by.

Reactions: GSP
When car companies are buying small startups developing autonomous cars with 1 billion, I think competent software wizards with real experience in this field are hard to come by.

It's not just that, but the entire AI/Vision computer market is accelerating rapidly. Where it seems like everyday people are finding new applications for it.

So it's not surprising to see a lot of hiccups on the way.

Despite the tone of confidence in your post, I don't think you have a very good understanding of the way consumer protection laws work in California. There is no contract or language required.

I suggest you do some reading on California's unfair competition law which is part of the Business and Professions Code §§ 17200 and 17500.

Why the lawyers though? I don't think anyone feels like Tesla deliberately lied in order to take the money and run. It's not like a Kickstarter project where the founder of some project skips town with everyones money.

I also find it odd that it's always the rich people who lack a technical understanding that are the sue happy ones. Is it your pride, and not wanting to ever have the short end of the stick? I admit I can't even imagine the humiliation I would feel if I bought into FSD full hook line and sinker. Just how naive can a person be? Most of the people I've seen getting it simply want to save lives, and they feel it's a worthy investment and maybe Tesla will throw them a bone with a feature or two. Or maybe they'll have a point to point FSD within a couple years.

Now that isn't to say I didn't have my own grievance where I felt like they damaged the resale value of AP1 cars by over promising on what AP2 could do, and most certainly being way too optimistic about the timeline. Then Elon has the gull to say people have to get used to the fast technical innovation cycle when there wasn't any ACTUAL innovation outside the hardware being released. But, the hardware was so far ahead of the software that who knows if it will actually be capable of FSD.

But, at the end of the day it's not like most any other product you buy. it's undeniable that Tesla's approach is helping to accelerate the drive towards full self driving despite how frustrating of a journey this is, and will be. We've barely even scratched the surface of hair pulling moments. Things aren't going to suddenly get better in March even if they reach parity. Then it's going to be about something else, or some event.

Now that isn't to say we let Tesla off the hook.

We all know they have to be more communicative about AP2 developments.
We know they're not communicative in keeping us up to date with the fleet learning progress, and versions. Where this data is, and if there is versioning for it. Or what this data looks like. It's all hidden from us so we have no idea of the confidence level on the road were on.
We know their release notes are lacking in information.
We know that sometimes they do some REALLY dumb things on updates.

But, we can accomplish fixing those issues and more in ways that don't involve lawyers. In any lawsuit they are the only ones that really win. Plus that would delay the rollout of these potentially life saving feature. That's something we can't afford now that the fatality rate has gone up 2 years in a row.

Reactions: cdub

Forgive me for asking, but after reading most of your posts I am honestly puzzled and terribly curious as to why you still own and drive this car. For someone who apparently has as much money as you do and who has a "lawyer they keep on retainer", I assume that you have lost $30k on some investments/purchases over the course of your lifetime. This likely isn't the first time and probably wont be the last. (I know, a car is not an investment) Sell the car, take the loss and move on. It seems that the car causes you nothing but anger and frustration. The amount of money you save in legal fees chasing Tesla alone will make up for the 30k loss you would likely suffer by selling the car now.

Life is too short to waste time and energy on something you have so much disdain for, particularly for someone who has the means by which to purchase another vehicle that is clearly superior in your eyes to the Tesla. Think of the aggravation that you will avoid by not having to wake up every morning and see this car in your garage. Seriously, why deal with it on a daily basis? If there was something that was causing me so much anger and grief, I would do whatever I possibly could to get it out of life as quickly as possible and move on. And yes, even at a financial loss. Money spent/lost can be replaced. And I am not a rich man. To purchase my Tesla, I will probably be eating catsup sandwiches for a few meals in the coming months.

I am not familiar with the laws that you reference or the Business and Professional Code in California, but I assume that both you and your lawyer are. Do the laws that you reference and Code that you cite require you to own the car at the time you file suit? Perhaps not as the "damage" has already been suffered and realized. If you don't have to own the car to file suit, you can sell the car now, save the daily aggravation and frustration, take the loss and then use your actual monetary damages (loss on the sale of your car) to further support your claim against Tesla. In fact, it may make your case stronger by being able to show the court your actual financial damages.

In addition, think about the extra time and energy you will save by getting rid of this "albatross" around your neck. I bet the minute you sell the car and sit down in your new vehicle, whatever that may be, you will instantly feel better. You will no longer be reminded of your Tesla every time you drive somewhere.

No more wind noise, shoddy craftsmanship, slow superchargers, broken promises, lack of features found on every other luxury car, disappointment in not having Auto Pilot, your list goes on and on...

As the late, great Gene Wilder said, "time is a precious thing, never waste it".

Why the lawyers though? I don't think anyone feels like Tesla deliberately lied in order to take the money and run. It's not like a Kickstarter project where the founder of some project skips town with everyones money.

I also find it odd that it's always the rich people who lack a technical understanding that are the sue happy ones. Is it your pride, and not wanting to ever have the short end of the stick? I admit I can't even imagine the humiliation I would feel if I bought into FSD full hook line and sinker.

Just so we're clear, I haven't decided yet whether or not to file a lawsuit. I will file a lawsuit IF I don't see substantial progress towards AP2 functionality in the coming weeks AND IF I don't get any acceptable remedies directly from Tesla. I reserve the option to pursue legal action at anytime, however.

@S4WRXTTCS - My opinion is Tesla did DELIBERATELY lie to consumers about AP2. It's a classic bait and switch. I did test drive an AP1 car a year or two ago and felt it was awesome. My mistake was trusting Tesla (their website, their advertising, their salesmen, and even their CEO). I was reasonably led to believe that given additional years to perfect the AP1 technology and the addition of a substantial sensor suite, that AP2 would be far superior to the AP1 I had tested. I was led to believe that Tesla had the technical know-how to release AP2 with functionality at minimum equal-to AP1, and as they claimed significantly greater functionality than AP1 which was available in the years prior.

This belief was reinforced by Tesla in claiming AP2 would use an additional 4-8 cameras to perform its tasks.

This was further reinforced by Tesla's own website, which claimed the features would be available December 2016 subject to regulatory approval (and not the fact that they hadn't written the software yet).

This belief was further reinforced in October 2016 or thereabouts by Tesla showing a likely phony video of a car full-self-driving around the neighborhood without disclaimers that the video was an artist rendering.

This was further reinforced by Tesla claiming to be setting up their own ride-sharing service that would hail rides autonomously, and releasing language stating you could not use Uber etc. in lie of the Tesla driving network.

This was further reinforced by Tesla claiming autonomous coast-to-coast driving would be demonstrated by end of 2017.

This was further reinforced by Tesla accepting payment for not only "enhanced autopilot", but "full-self-drive" capability, knowing full-well that they did not have the technical capability to deliver on these promises.

All of the above represent a deliberate act to over-promise in order to induce sales. That is the definition of false-advertising and fraud.

What Tesla should have done, is not generate "fake news" and stuck to the facts. They could have simply stated cars will be shipped with better hardware, but we don't know when (or if) functionality will ever be activated, and invite people to VOLUNTARILY participate in pre-release alpha testing. Of course, regular people like myself would not have purchased a car in that case.

Forgive me for asking, but after reading most of your posts I am honestly puzzled and terribly curious as to why you still own and drive this car. For someone who apparently has as much money as you do and who has a "lawyer they keep on retainer", I assume that you have lost $30k on some investments/purchases over the course of your lifetime. This likely isn't the first time and probably wont be the last. (I know, a car is not an investment) Sell the car, take the loss and move on. It seems that the car causes you nothing but anger and frustration. The amount of money you save in legal fees chasing Tesla alone will make up for the 30k loss you would likely suffer by selling the car now.

Life is too short to waste time and energy on something you have so much disdain for, particularly for someone who has the means by which to purchase another vehicle that is clearly superior in your eyes to the Tesla. Think of the aggravation that you will avoid by not having to wake up every morning and see this car in your garage. Seriously, why deal with it on a daily basis? If there was something that was causing me so much anger and grief, I would do whatever I possibly could to get it out of life as quickly as possible and move on. And yes, even at a financial loss. Money spent/lost can be replaced. And I am not a rich man. To purchase my Tesla, I will probably be eating catsup sandwiches for a few meals in the coming months.

I am not familiar with the laws that you reference or the Business and Professional Code in California, but I assume that both you and your lawyer are. Do the laws that you reference and Code that you cite require you to own the car at the time you file suit? Perhaps not as the "damage" has already been suffered and realized. If you don't have to own the car to file suit, you can sell the car now, save the daily aggravation and frustration, take the loss and then use your actual monetary damages (loss on the sale of your car) to further support your claim against Tesla. In fact, it may make your case stronger by being able to show the court your actual financial damages.

In addition, think about the extra time and energy you will save by getting rid of this "albatross" around your neck. I bet the minute you sell the car and sit down in your new vehicle, whatever that may be, you will instantly feel better. You will no longer be reminded of your Tesla every time you drive somewhere.

No more wind noise, shoddy craftsmanship, slow superchargers, broken promises, lack of features found on every other luxury car, disappointment in not having Auto Pilot, your list goes on and on...

As the late, great Gene Wilder said, "time is a precious thing, never waste it".

@Gibson - Your post is incredibly wise. I appreciate the time (and thought) that went into you posting it, and in exchange will offer you an introspective post.

It's a love-hate relationship with the Tesla Model S. I love the concept of freedom from the gas pump and even the product itself isn't that bad. Helping the environment is a plus. I'm getting used to "wind noise, shoddy craftsmanship, slow superchargers, lack of features found on every other luxury car." I'm still stinging from the "broken promises and disappointment in not having AP".

I view money as something to be used as a tool and don't have a particular attachment to it. You can always just make more money. The logical thing to do from an financial and time point-of-view is as you suggest - dump the car, cut my losses, and move on with life.

However, I really don't like the feeling of getting swindled. I have burned hundreds of thousands of dollars in litigation to prove a point, knowing full-well I would never recover the money. I guess I believe strongly in principle and right and wrong. I am not a greedy person but perhaps vindictive? More than anything, purposeful lying really ticks me off. It is my "gut" feeling that I have been severely lied to but of course there is a chance I am wrong. Every day I wake up checking these forums hoping my gut feeling is wrong, and there is a substantial firmware update for AP2 around the corner proving me wrong and the fanboys right.

While I appreciate their "mission", I'm not a fan of Tesla as a company, particularly in regards to the way it treats customers and its shady business practices. (Surreptitiously reducing power & performance after a set number of launches, lying about actual battery capacities, throttling superchargers, charging idle fees, refusing to fix paint imperfections on new cars, charging non-refundable deposits, refusing to make build changes several months ahead of assembly, false-advertising, providing car magazines with ringer cars using altered firmware, etc.) These practices need to stop or it will kill the company in the long run. The masses won't tolerate BS like that.

I'll have to ask the attorney if Prop 64 requires me to still own the car in order to still have a legal standing under UCL. Having said that, I'd still prefer to keep the car if the features worked as advertised, despite its flaws. I fear Elon is too busy worrying about his rockets to care much about yesterday's news (electric car company).

What I really need are some honest answers from Tesla, particularly, when does Tesla reasonably expect AP2 to function at a level exceeding AP1? If not anytime soon, what is the reason for that? Assuming it won't be released soon, how will Tesla compensate the victims of this false-advertising? What steps will they take to prevent this in the future? Why do they continue to promote and accept money for features that are inoperative?

1jwkq4.jpg

Generally I find people unable to objectively judge that someone has "lied". That word carries so much moral judgement that no one wants to use it regardless of the evidence.

But you would have a really hard time claiming that Tesla has not misrepresented the situation here. They OBVIOUSLY made an effort to make it seem like FSD was coming up soon with a video released at the same time as the AP2 announcement. At no point did they explain their test cars were struggling to duplicate AP1 Autopilot performance.

I'm in the camp that thinks this would be a very easy case to show misrepresentation and failure to deliver sold functionality. I also think so of you will be more inclined to see it that way in 6 months when I cruise by you on the freeway, and you are still steering! ;)

I've been driving my Model S 85D for 14 months, love it, love the self driving. It is definitely getting better all the time. No it doesn't drive it's self but the lane keeping and cruise control are amazing. I wanted full self driving and I could tell the hardware on my car would never be able to do full self driving. When I saw the Tesla video of the model X driving it's self in October with new hardware, I decided I would get a new one. I waited until December 16 to order and told them I didn't want it delivered until March 1, 2017. I figured it would take that long before the autopilot would start really working. Tesla called earlier this week and said it was ready and I could pick it up. They paid for a rental car to take me the 60 miles to the service center and I picked up my new red model S 90D last night. I had paid for all the cameras and full self driving hoping some day it would be able to drive me to the mall and drop me off and go park. Some day. No self driving or cruise control while I drove home while it calibrated. It was weird because I had not used the accelerator pedal much for over a year. This morning, I got the message that it had updated itself to the newest version, 17.5.36. It updated over Tesla's network because I had not hooked it up to my wifi yet. I went for a drive and the cruise control was working fine. I also had lane keeping below 35 mph on small streets and below 50 mph on the freeway. The lines did jump around on the screen but the car drove straight. No lane changing yet. I never had any sudden stops at overpasses or signs. It did an amazingly good job at keeping the lanes just like my older model S. Now my wife is driving my old Model S and I'm driving the new one. We both love them and look forward to all the updates over the next year.