Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware updates officially sooner when using WiFi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do people keep saying this?

Elon said 8.1 for HW1 cars would be end of Jan.
Yeah he said that last night but he's been saying "December" for months and three weeks ago said it would be this week. So, this is just another "oops" from Elon. Keep in mind that the HW2 cars are few in comparison to the total that are waiting for 8.1. According to the electrik article the update that may be coming out today (assuming no problems) is just an AP update for HW2 cars but it's not 8.1.

Reactions: OBX John
Anybody else notice that with later updates the car shows an LTE connection on the MCU but sniffing my wifi I see it "parrot 54mbs" connected there as well. I was thinking it was not connecting as usual as I always saw the wifi strength but after my last update this is everyday now ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've got great WiFi in my garage - and typically don't see updates for week or months after other drivers have received them.

Still waiting for the 8.0 patch update that was supposed to fix some of the problems introduced in 8.0 - and haven't seen the map update yet (the nav software still thinks it takes 5 minutes to drive past two houses on my block).

I think cynix's point is that it would be useful to have a way to force an update check "now". If someone doesn't normally have wifi and they go out of their way to connect, it would be nice to minimize the amount of time that they have to sit there.
Exactly! It'd be great if there's some indication that an update has been downloaded so I know when I can safely drive away from WiFi.

....and you'd have 10,000 people mashing that button like F5 everytime there's a point update.
They could easily make it so that the button only works if it hasn't been used for a while. All I want is some sort of feedback, both positive and negative, so that I can know if I should keep waiting or drive away.

Reactions: dhanson865
Now if I could just find a way to keep the car hooked to wifi when it's in my garage.

Despite the wifi router only being a few meters from the car sometimes it hooks to wifi with a strong signal but sometimes it goes back to 3G.

Any thoughts on how to convince the car to always connect to wifi when the signal is present?
I have the same problem. My main router is within 8 feet of the car. I kept having problems with the car switching back and forth between wifi and LTE so I installed a wifi extender on the other side of the car. The car can connect to either router and show full signal but then after a few seconds it switches back to LTE. I set up a phone as a wifi hotspot and the car can stay connected to it longer but eventually it switches back to LTE again.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler
I have the same problem. My main router is within 8 feet of the car. I kept having problems with the car switching back and forth between wifi and LTE so I installed a wifi extender on the other side of the car. The car can connect to either router and show full signal but then after a few seconds it switches back to LTE. I set up a phone as a wifi hotspot and the car can stay connected to it longer but eventually it switches back to LTE again.
I ended up setting up a wifi extender just for the car. If it were any closer to the front of the car there'd be damage to it from the front bumper. I get 1 bar of wifi according to the car, though it does seem to manage to stay connected.

Actually what this thread is stating is that they SAID they were going to to this about 3 years ago, but only started actually doing it now.

Just anecdotal I know, but I sure seemed to be getting new firmware over my home WiFi faster than others I know with only 3G/LTE connections. For pretty much as long as I've owned the car. I have received a few over 3G when travelling and whatnot.

Just anecdotal I know, but I sure seemed to be getting new firmware over my home WiFi faster than others I know with only 3G/LTE connections. For pretty much as long as I've owned the car. I have received a few over 3G when travelling and whatnot.
I'll chose to believe @wk057 when he says it's new functionality, he has a tendency to be right about such things.

Reactions: wk057
I ended up setting up a wifi extender just for the car. If it were any closer to the front of the car there'd be damage to it from the front bumper. I get 1 bar of wifi according to the car, though it does seem to manage to stay connected.
Mine isn't quite that close. ;) If I connect with other devices in the garage for testing purposes, I can easily get full signal and 50+ Mbps when doing a speed test. The car gets less than 3 Mbps.