Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First 2022 VINs (and changes) discussion / Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like Tesla still hasn't filed for a 2022 VIN, assuming NHTSA Manufacturer's Information Database is up to date. Last filing from Tesla was Feb 2021. It appears they may be going back to Jan 1 model year switchover.

(Source: Welcome to MID :: provided by vPIC - MID , search name 'Tesla', sort by "letter date")
If you search for Toyota, you see they filed for 2022's in September and even have a revision a few weeks ago, so it is up to date. Tesla seems to be holding off on 2022 models for a while.

1634074957872.png

I ordered on 10-3 a MYLR white white interior induction wheels no tow. Got EDD of 10-17-11-03 a day or two after order. It had said prior to order estimated delivery April.
Yesterday got an updated EDD 1/31-2/28 assumed that was probably more accurate.
Today I received VIN and Delivery date of 10/23-10/29
Not sure if I can trust that or not. It is 21 model from Fremont
Going to make all the MYLR orders jealous in here. 🤫 Congrats!

Today my model Y performance estimated delivery was pushed back from October 25 - November 14 to November 15 - December 15. Anybody else notice any pushback. Hopefully it will be a 22 model year.
Mine was also pushed back on Monday to 11/15 - 12/13. It was 10/31 - 11/20 prior to that. Looks like my MYP is going to go through the same multi-month wait then an EOQ push like my MYLR. I, too, am counting on it being a 2022 coming in that late in the year.

Reactions: impastu
Other than front castings, will Model Ys in US going to be different at the same time based on the manufacturing center - Fremont and Austin . Different seat or may be 4680 battery as in Berlin ?
I suspect there will be quality issues for a bit, for all cars being newly produced at Giga Texas. Why? New plant, new tooling, new parts/design, production rate ramp up and new workers and processes. Tolerance build up and learning curve, so to speak. I would actually prefer a 2022 from Fremont, for at least six months after Giga Texas production starts. One way to ensure that is to order an MYP, instead of the MY LR.

I suspect there will be quality issues for a bit, for all cars being newly produced at Giga Texas. Why? New plant, new tooling, new parts/design, production rate ramp up and new workers and processes. Tolerance build up and learning curve, so to speak. I would actually prefer a 2022 from Fremont, for at least six months after Giga Texas production starts. One way to ensure that is to order an MYP, instead of the MY LR.
Yea, there's a reason why I waited so long to order the MY so they could iron out most of the early production kinks. I have a 2018 Model 3, 35XXX VIN and have had lots of service visits and LOTS of rattles. Hoping for much better build quality in the MY.

Yea, there's a reason why I waited so long to order the MY so they could iron out most of the early production kinks. I have a 2018 Model 3, 35XXX VIN and have had lots of service visits and LOTS of rattles. Hoping for much better build quality in the MY.
@PNWLeccy My September MYP build is perfect; better than my August MS Plaid build, even.

+1 to this!

Yes, but Tesla doesn't really use the old-school "new model with a new year" cycles. They update their car whenever they want/convenient. We need to think of these cars as Model Y 1.0 and Model Y 2.0. No one's getting a 2.0 car the first week or two in October. AT MOST they might be getting single-piece front castings. But even that won't constitute a 2.0 car. Only when they switch to 4680 battery/chassis will it be a 2.0 car. That most likely won't happen until early next year.

Unless you want simply want to see 2022 printed on your registration. Because that's really all that's changing at first.
People are big into resale value. Just drive and enjoy the work of art.

I Know Tesla Has No History of
fixing the date on model years...
BUT,
with an upcoming shutdown of Fremont for reconfig (Front cast, air suspension, etc), it makes sense to sync Fremont and Austin and christen the first front cast MDYs as 2022.

Of course, that does not help me, but I'm thrilled to play the hand I was dealt back in July.