Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First FSD Beta accident?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
USA
Saw this NHTSA report on Twitter:

FD8Ni51XMAEBW6B

I believe there was an accident since we have a report to the NHTSA but the details of what happened sound suspicious to me. If the driver tried to turn the wheel, it should have disengaged FSD and gone back into TACC only where the driver would be in control of steering. FSD Beta does not "by itself take control and force itself". Perhaps it was in manual mode and it was the lane departure assist that "nudged" the car, not FSD Beta? FSD Beta could have missed the turn and gone into the wrong lane and hit another car. We've seen situations like that in FSD Beta videos. Perhaps, the driver was not able to intervene in time. But I don't believe that the driver tried to take over and FSD Beta forced the car to go in the other lane anyway.

FD8Ni51XMAEBW6B

I believe there was an accident since we have a report to the NHTSA but the details of what happened sound suspicious to me. If the driver tried to turn the wheel, it should have disengaged FSD and gone back into TACC only where the driver would be in control of steering. FSD Beta does not "by itself take control and force itself". Perhaps it was in manual mode and it was the lane departure assist that "nudged" the car, not FSD Beta? FSD Beta could have missed the turn and gone into the wrong lane and hit another car. We've seen situations like that in FSD Beta videos. Perhaps, the driver was not able to intervene in time. But I don't believe that the driver tried to take over and FSD Beta forced the car to go in the other lane anyway.
Perhaps the guy was drunk and is blaming the accident on FSD. Too soon?

"...so I tried to turn the wheel to avoid it from going into the wrong lane but the car by itself took control and forced itself into the incorrect lane..."
Sounds so lame. I'll vote that driver is trying to skirt responsibility and what really happened is something else like: I was looking at phone notification and was startled by the accident.

I can't find that on twitter and links to NHTSA site for the complaint don't seem to work. Suspect NHTSA has deleted this because it couldn't verify the claim.

Last edited:
Couldn’t agree more.

ANYONE using it KNOWS (or should) it’s inherent potential for danger/endangering in certain situations. While it often does much right…

as we’ve all been told…

it may do exactly the wrong thing at exactly the wrong time.

We CHOOSE to use it in Beta.

You don’t get to do that and then not own it when you should have moved the car out of danger yourself

or from the trajectory of what was going to likely be a problem, if no intervention taken.

I call BS in this account not being dead bang accurate of what occurred and what driver should have likely done.

Will this new thread get as much engagement as your other?

Additional Info: the report is a user complaint to the NHTSA. So the owner of the Tesla that crashed submitted that report as a complaint to the NHTSA.

I can't find that on twitter and links to NHTSA site for the complaint don't seem to work. Suspect NHTSA has deleted this because it couldn't verify the claim.
Nope. Its there on NHTSA site.

I don't want to jump to conclusions - but very suspicious. I've never heard / seen a case where FSD won't let you take over. Infact we have all discussed how easily it disengages on turns.

Shows you have to be hyper-vigilant, esp. on turns.

Sounds so lame. I'll vote that driver is trying to skirt responsibility and what really happened is something else like: I was looking at phone notification and was startled by the accident.

scroll down and expand NHTSA ID Number: 11439740

I'd love to see the log data.

One of the things I dislike about the FSD Beta is when you take over the steering it still keep the Adaptive Cruise Control over.

I think that's a bad design given the nature of what the FSD Beta is.

When I take over I want the car to cease doing anything itself, and I'm going to take over full control.

Going to take a wild guess and say there is no log data because it didn't happen. Report seems like it is written by someone who has never even used regular autopilot before. Not to mention after weeks of hard work to fight to get the chance to test FSD, the first thought is to file a NHTSA complaint? Get real. Biggest problem right now is with path planning being so erratic that keeping your hands on the wheel causes unintentional disengagements, not the opposite.

Also I haven't found leaving it in TACC after steering disengagement to be an issue. Taking control of steering is taking control of steering. Car still makes appropriate velocity decisions based on the path it's on. You can hit the brakes at any time. If not enough hand/eye coordination to accomplish that, shouldn't be beta testing.

Also I haven't found leaving it in TACC after steering disengagement to be an issue. Taking control of steering is taking control of steering. Car still makes appropriate velocity decisions based on the path it's on. You can hit the brakes at any time. If not enough hand/eye coordination to accomplish that, shouldn't be beta testing.

It's an issue because I'm taking over. I'm telling it that it did something wrong using the control that I already have my hands on, and yet it still wants to have a say. Sure I could simply take over with the brake, but then you chance sending a message to the person behind that you're braking.

I could tap up on the stalk, but my hand isn't there.

I think Tesla implemented it that way because they didn't want the car to suddenly go into full re-gen. But, that isn't what I want either. I simply want the car to coast because its only milliseconds before I'm back on it.

This was never much of an issue on the freeway. I didn't like the behavior, but I didn't mind it.

It's a bigger issue with city streets because of the non-smooth behavior of FSD beta. Like instead of smoothly accelerating at the end of the corner it accelerates too quickly. At least it does on the left turn into a residential area.

FD8Ni51XMAEBW6B

Objectively, I can seen how you can drop out of autosteer and into tacc and miss the fact you dropped out of Autosteer. It has happened to me a few times.

I think if you bump out of autosteer it should also take you out of TACC.