Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First P85D adopters stuck in black hole

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, the decaying orbit around Black Hole Part Deux continues...

I'm with you here. I spoke to my DS late last night, with my car STILL IN PRODUCTION. He confirms that its in Quality Assurance because of the seats and will most likely be delivered without the NG Seats, and as of yet he cannot speculate on when the Car will be prepped for Delivery.

I'm hoping it gets on the same truck with other Boston based cars (I've seen a few go Complete in the past couple days) but I'm not holding my breath.

It'll be interesting to see who the last Black Holer is on this forum. I'm still "In Production", having entered production on 11/24.

Black hole sun
Won't you come
And wash away the rain
Black hole sun
Won't you come
Won't you come (Won't you come)

:frown:
So today I started listening to a random Slacker playlist (station) - sadly not in a Tesla as I don't have one anymore, or yet :-( - and out of the blue, second song in, it starts playing this song. I think they're mocking me.

Hi,
When I talk about consistency I mean from one DS to another. I agree that they are hugely overworked and that is a big part of why some areas respond better than others;however, I noticed that some DS seemed to have more power than others - maybe contacts, maybe more savvy. There are some stories of DSs having someone in the factory find a car and report back. If you look at the varying stories coming back from DSs there wasn't any one consistent story. I guess I hinted at another problem in my earlier post and that is empowerment. I get the impression that most of the DSs are kept in the dark, possibly to avoid them giving away too much information. Maybe that strategy is OK in normal operations but in this scenario it created more trouble than it solved (IMHO). When my car went back into production, I naturally was concerned and phoned my DS who had a chuckle because it was ridiculous that my car would have gone back into production. He looked at two systems that showed "factory gate routing" and basically that my car was about to be loaded on a truck - thus he reassured me that all was well. It wasn't until about a day later that his boss called him and let him know that there was a problem with a bunch of cars. He never did get any information specific to my car.

I think this is just the nature of a small company. Some people have been around longer and know how to get information. Some people are new and tell you what is presented to them. Consistency is going to come when they fill in more middle management that ends up spending time on these sorts of things. Right now the impression I have is the middle management they have spends their times putting out fires. More than likely consistency will mean less information for everyone, not more.

The new disclaimer on the delivery timeframe is a sign that Tesla realizes they haven't been setting customer expectations correctly. I know from what happened around September that they learned some of it then. I'm sure the P85D has reinforced those lessons. But I totally agree that as a whole good communication is Tesla's weakness. I'm not letting them off the hook, they really should fix this.

Hi Guys:

In an effort to make your wait perhaps a bit easier regardless of where you are in the queue... I suggest a tune... One of my long time favs....

Press your voice command... and say... "Play Moody Blues I Know You're Out There Somewhere" Slaker will bring up
an apropos tune that will be both toe tapping and bring a smile to your faces.

Enjoy... we are all rooting for you...

hey guys - not a P85D owner, but i've got a 60 on order. been following this thread, sorry to see the black hole has swallowed up so many people.

my car was supposed to go into production this week, according to my DS. they told me so last week, and again early this week. it's now Friday, and DS says it's still in the queue, due to the black hole (sadly DS didn't use that term). so it seems there are many cars originally slated for mid-December production that are stuck BEHIND the black hole.

maybe there's another term for the rest of us... stuck in the singularity.

Last edited:
So my DS is teasing me! (At my request...)

image1a - Copy.jpg

My car just arrived in Devon, PA. Delivery set for Monday morning. :D

Looks like there are a few others that arrived too...

So my DS is teasing me! (At my request...)

View attachment 66478

My car just arrived in Devon, PA. Delivery set for Monday morning. :D

Looks like there are a few others that arrived too...

This is a great picture of the Devon SC for people who have never seen it. It will have the capacity to deliver and service MANY cars ( read: Model 3). The West Coast has several large facilities but this is one of (if not the) biggest ones on the east coast and, I believe, the prototype for others in the future. Take over old ICE dealerships!

I think this is just the nature of a small company. Some people have been around longer and know how to get information. Some people are new and tell you what is presented to them. Consistency is going to come when they fill in more middle management that ends up spending time on these sorts of things. Right now the impression I have is the middle management they have spends their times putting out fires. More than likely consistency will mean less information for everyone, not more.

The new disclaimer on the delivery timeframe is a sign that Tesla realizes they haven't been setting customer expectations correctly. I know from what happened around September that they learned some of it then. I'm sure the P85D has reinforced those lessons. But I totally agree that as a whole good communication is Tesla's weakness. I'm not letting them off the hook, they really should fix this.
Never mind middle management putting out fires, apparently upper management have to do it. I've noted many other comments about consistency in the delivery thread too. Maybe consistency wouldn't be an issue if we weren't all communicating with one and other but that is the world we live in now. In any event, if it wasn't for TMC I wouldn't have even got the bulk email from Jerome and I would be even less happy.

Well after 27 days in production I'm finally out! Production complete today!!

Lets see how long it takes to get here... My DS says there is a LARGE contingent of cars coming right after the 25th/26th... so I might actually squeeze in before the new year. To be honest, I'm just glad there is some kind of confirmation that its been completed.

(posted this same thing on the P85D tracking thread)

Well after 27 days in production I'm finally out! Production complete today!!

Lets see how long it takes to get here... My DS says there is a LARGE contingent of cars coming right after the 25th/26th... so I might actually squeeze in before the new year. To be honest, I'm just glad there is some kind of confirmation that its been completed.

(posted this same thing on the P85D tracking thread)

No such luck here. 23 days and counting.

My cars are crossing the border today and should be in Toronto tomorrow. I have no idea what kind of seats are in them. I guess I will find out when they get here on Sunday. They will prep them on Monday and delivery should be possible on Tuesday 12/23. I believe I am getting the first 2 deliveries in Toronto.

Last edited:
Never mind middle management putting out fires, apparently upper management have to do it. I've noted many other comments about consistency in the delivery thread too. Maybe consistency wouldn't be an issue if we weren't all communicating with one and other but that is the world we live in now. In any event, if it wasn't for TMC I wouldn't have even got the bulk email from Jerome and I would be even less happy.

When a small company attempts to grow into a larger company and puts stretch goals in place for an overworked staff, a new product rollout like this becomes an endless game of Whac-a-Mole.

So my car was put on a truck yesterday and will be up in Seattle late Sunday afternoon. Too late for me to take it for a spin before I head out for my Xmas break, but they will hand it off to the detailer to get it wrapped while I am out and it should be good to go when I return on 12/29! Just in time for me to take it up to Whistler for some New Year's skiing. Best of luck to all the remaining BHers!

My Saturday delivery got pushed back to Monday as the truck my car was loaded on Thursday didn't leave for Seattle until Friday afternoon. <sigh> More waiting...

Rossh, sounds like our cars are on the same truck. Where are you having yours wrapped? Front end or full?

My cars are crossing the border today and should be in Toronto tomorrow. I have no idea what kind of seats are in them. I guess I will find out when they get here on Sunday. They will prep them on Monday and delivery should be possible on Tuesday 12/23. I believe I am getting the first 2 deliveries in Toronto.
I told you it would work out in the long run. Congrats!