Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First P85D adopters stuck in black hole

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just checked with DS. Car still sitting at Tesla, not on transporter.

So now 5 days just sitting there at the Factory after taking 21 days to have it's production completed, while lots and lots of other cars get shipped who were completed after mine. Including others to my same SC.

26 total days stuck in the black hole.

Getting ready to cancel order. Monday, or Tuesday at the latest will have to be my deadline, due to the constraints of the holidays, scheduling, and the credit union. Then the car will sit at Tesla, I assume will go out as a test drive car, and they'll take a loss of about $10K or more when they sell it as a previously used loaner car. Heck of a way to run a business.

When a small company attempts to grow into a larger company and puts stretch goals in place for an overworked staff, a new product rollout like this becomes an endless game of Whac-a-Mole.
Very well and graphically put! The other point you mention that resonates for me is the growth from small company to a larger company. Breser mentioned small company problems which do apply here but also when a company grows quickly it can be difficult to maintain existing levels of service consistently as the number of staff grows. Smaller companies can operate more organically and service can be enhanced by well chosen and experienced staff. The bigger the company and the more staff you have, the more important training and process become, and the harder it is to maintain consistency even without stretch goals, let alone in the current war zone that is Tesla's December delivery schedule.

But...CNBC tells me they are on the road to 500,000 per year. :) Logistics are a sticking point for growth of any company.

Keep in mind that this quarter was a hard quarter and the sales are supposed to be in the 11,000 range. But they are already promising staff that they have to reproduce it again four times next year trying to get to 50,000 sales total. Maybe the idea that "this quarter? almost over... get ready to do it all year next year" needs to be smoothed out a bit. For such sales numbers, logistics have to put more cars into Europe and Asia and get around this last minute slam session.

Very well and graphically put! The other point you mention that resonates for me is the growth from small company to a larger company. Breser mentioned small company problems which do apply here but also when a company grows quickly it can be difficult to maintain existing levels of service consistently as the number of staff grows. Smaller companies can operate more organically and service can be enhanced by well chosen and experienced staff. The bigger the company and the more staff you have, the more important training and process become, and the harder it is to maintain consistency even without stretch goals, let alone in the current war zone that is Tesla's December delivery schedule.

Meta comment: It's really jarring to me to see my username capitalized. I've used this username for a very long time (way back to old systems where usernames were always lower case). So I'm always used to seeing it in lowercase.

For what it's worth I agree that Tesla is in the difficult phase of moving from small to big company.

- - - Updated - - -

Could be. I think they put mine into the room with the new hires and they're using it to teach the assembly process. No sign of any movement whatsoever.

Somehow I picture Elon standing over a bunch of assembly guys and inspecting their work and telling them "No no no, that's all wrong, do it again," based on this comment.

I was in the black hole as well, but it finally finished the end of last week. I got a call, "It'll arrive this weekend for delivery on Monday afternoon see you then."

But then I get a message today from the DS, "Cancel that Monday appt, we'll have to reschedule. I'll call you back on Monday."

The reschedule is no fun, but the lack of of information through this whole process is just crazy.

I was in the black hole as well, but it finally finished the end of last week. I got a call, "It'll arrive this weekend for delivery on Monday afternoon see you then."

But then I get a message today from the DS, "Cancel that Monday appt, we'll have to reschedule. I'll call you back on Monday."

The reschedule is no fun, but the lack of of information through this whole process is just crazy.

Where are you located?

I had a delivery appointment set for today, but yesterday got a call that it would have to be rescheduled for Monday because the transport truck ended up leaving a day late.

Ahh! that must be 'cause they were waiting to get my silver PD on with yours. Unfortunately mine will be stuck in Seattle unless they can find a trucker trying to get back to Spokane before Christmas.
Where are you located?

I had a delivery appointment set for today, but yesterday got a call that it would have to be rescheduled for Monday because the transport truck ended up leaving a day late.

I'm tied with you, entered on 11/21, but I actually went Production Complete on 11/26. My original delivery date was scheduled for 12/2. That came and went with no ETA. I didn't receive the message Jerome sent everyone, I read that here. I also never got an option on the seats, again read that here. I seem to have more info than my DS. Yesterday I saw some Seattle deliveries scheduled for Thursday so I called my DS to see if I might be on the same truck. He said he'd get back to me before end of day. He did call back, but he said he had no information. FILO.

I emailed Jerome tonight. I'm really considering cancelling and reordering like gpetti and a couple others have done. I don't really mind waiting that much to get an off the production line car with the heated steering wheel option.

Not sure if it was timing or my email, but the stars aligned and successfully escaped the black hole! I got a response Wednesday night (12/17), my car was on the truck Thursday afternoon, arrived in Portland Friday, and I took delivery yesterday. I have the next gen seats in the front and current gen in the rear. No heated steering wheel, but I'm hoping for a retrofit sometime in the future.

I posted my initial thoughts here:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...ons-upgrading-from-a-P85-(October-2013-build)

Well, miracle of miracles, my car, after 6 days sitting in a corner somewhere in Fremont, after 21 days "in production" for the grand total of 27 days, has finally, reportedly been placed on a truck.

Still unclear if we'll make the end of the year, or my delivery window, but at least there's some chance.

Not sure which other Florida cars (if any) are on the same truck. If anyone else from Florida knows that their car was put on a truck today, please chime in.