Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First P85D adopters stuck in black hole

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully 3s-a-crowd can confirm ...

PS. It's "3s-a-charm" although I did watch way too many episodes of Jack, Christie and Janet in my youth! :)

The show was "Three's Company." (I watched it too!)

I too hope you both get the heated steering wheel. I remember everything you referenced with respect to that timeline, gpetti. My only concern, if I were you, would be the fact that when you re-ordered, it still was not officially part of the package, so if they run low on supply for any reason, your car is one Tesla doesn't have to put it in. I remember your having said it was important to you, which is why I had asked if you had somehow managed to officially make it part of the deal when you reordered. Let's just hope you get it!

I too hope you both get the heated steering wheel. I remember everything you referenced with respect to that timeline, gpetti. My only concern, if I were you, would be the fact that when you re-ordered, it still was not officially part of the package, so if they run low on supply for any reason, your car is one Tesla doesn't have to put it in. I remember your having said it was important to you, which is why I had asked if you had somehow managed to officially make it part of the deal when you reordered. Let's just hope you get it!

Delivery still pending, no info as to where the car is at this time. Finished production 12/21. I would not hold my hopes high for a heated steering wheel, someone from Wisconsin took delivery of a car entering production 12/15 (one day after mine), no luck. I think really it will be a tiny fraction of lucky owners who get that. I ordered the winter package in a hope for a lottery win, but I will not be too upset if no luck.

LOL - sorry 3s-a-charm. Wasn't mocking your handle, probably tiredness and or scotch related typo.
I guess nows the time to see whether I can get any info on this feature as I guess having reordered, my expectations are going up. I guess I could keep the date in February but there may reach a point where I say screw the feature, give me the car.

Still with us huh? I thought you said you were canceling your order a week ago? Tesla call your bluff?
Basically yes they did, but it still came down to the wire. Tomorrow would have been my last delivery date possible in 2014. I ran into a black hole member at the Brandon supercharger yesterday whose car won't make it in 2014, so there are still some out there.

I kind of expected a little more pomp and circumstance with the delivery. No big bow like people posted here, no sign with my name on it, just my car in a corner outside.

That being said, the nice guy who went over the car in great detail did do a very good job explaining everything and answering all of our questions that he could (it was obvious that he was winging questions regarding the seat replacement.) And despite my conversations with my DS regarding how my paperwork would say that the seats needed to be replaced, and I was sent that beforehand, that all vanished and had to be redone at paperwork signing time.

It was jaw-dropping how many cars they had packed in like sardines in the showroom. Plus a large number charging in the service bays. So they must have just gotten a whole bunch of truck deliveries right after Christmas.

Here's a picture, and this is only half of the room:
Teslas stacked up in showroom.jpg

Last edited:
My P85D is sliding further into the black hole. After 22 days "in production" it is still in Fremont according to the latest inquiries. Dashboard still shows " the factory is building your Model S " and delivery is still showing "Late December" ( year not specified ). They must be building it by hand or there is parts shortage of the chromed exhaust pipe tips. :biggrin:

My P85D is sliding further into the black hole. After 22 days "in production" it is still in Fremont according to the latest inquiries. Dashboard still shows " the factory is building your Model S " and delivery is still showing "Late December" ( year not specified ). They must be building it by hand or there is parts shortage of the chromed exhaust pipe tips. :biggrin:

Good that you can still joke, albeit through gritted teeth! I tend to look at your car as an indication of what my experience would have been if I hadn't re-ordered - although mine started building on 11/21. Of course its possible it would have suddenly broken loose before Christmas but having made the decision to re-order its easier to justify if the car would still have missed December. As many people have said - you will LOVE the car when it arrives but it definitely sucks to be still sitting in "the black hole" while cars are being delivered all around you. I wonder if the car doesn't finish building until 2015 - will your VIN change to a 2015?

Just to bring this full circle.

I took delivery of my D this afternoon, my DS opened up the store for me on his day off. Super amazing guy and has been throughout this process.

I got the next gen seats in front, futuris in back, but as I'd expected no heated wheel nor yatch floor.

The car is awesome, but we know that already. I've got the 19's wrapped in Nokian R2s as my winter setup, compared to the test drives with the 21s, the 19s feel really floaty. Ofcourse I've got to factor in the huge difference in weather conditions as well as the state of the tires (brand spankin' new vs worn in).

So for this round of Tesla purchasing, I'm out of this hole... lets see how the next purchase in the future goes. LOL

Good luck to any stragglers still left in this abyss... don't worry, one way or another you'll get out!

Just to bring this full circle.

I took delivery of my D this afternoon, my DS opened up the store for me on his day off. Super amazing guy and has been throughout this process.

I got the next gen seats in front, futuris in back, but as I'd expected no heated wheel nor yatch floor.

The car is awesome, but we know that already. I've got the 19's wrapped in Nokian R2s as my winter setup, compared to the test drives with the 21s, the 19s feel really floaty. Ofcourse I've got to factor in the huge difference in weather conditions as well as the state of the tires (brand spankin' new vs worn in).

So for this round of Tesla purchasing, I'm out of this hole... lets see how the next purchase in the future goes. LOL

Good luck to any stragglers still left in this abyss... don't worry, one way or another you'll get out!
Thanks for this final sharing in tales from the black hole! Great to see you finally get out. Now if we can just get mrelbe out!

I was still stuck as well but was informed my car was in Michigan last night, so finally moving out of Chicago.
It is ironic that as some of the first people to order we are getting our cars last.
I think first off the line we were buried in a lot in Fremont. Then last on the train but first off and then buried in Chicago.
I doubt I'll get the heated steering wheel.

I'm sure you will be picking your cars up soon guys...I feel for you (as we picked ours up last Saturday)...Scott, Patricia, and the whole delivery team were great...this car is well worth the wait...Cindy drove it back home in truly awful weather / roads conditions...the car's performance was nothing short of outstanding!

Got my car too (production November 27). No heated steering wheel but next gen seats in the front.

Arrived home (Montreal store to Quebec City - no supercharger yet...) with 20km left. It was cold (-16c) but the P85D is really less efficient (for now).

Amazing in the snow.

I was still stuck as well but was informed my car was in Michigan last night, so finally moving out of Chicago.
It is ironic that as some of the first people to order we are getting our cars last.
I think first off the line we were buried in a lot in Fremont. Then last on the train but first off and then buried in Chicago.
I doubt I'll get the heated steering wheel.

This is pretty much what I said to our DS the other day!
Hopefully everyone will soon have theirs...

- - - Updated - - -

Got my car too (production November 27). No heated steering wheel but next gen seats in the front.

Arrived home (Montreal store to Quebec City - no supercharger yet...) with 20km left. It was cold (-16c) but the P85D is really less efficient (for now).

Amazing in the snow.

Congrats!