Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Tesla in Oz listed under $100K?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been watching a known website that lists new/used cars and received my first hit this morning of a Model S85 2014 for $99K, is this the first time a Tesla has been offered for less than $100K in Oz?

id=SSE-AD-4614183

I just wish Nissan LEAF were about half the current advertised price...

It's on carsales.com.au.
Yeah, I'm surprised just how much Nissan Leaf prices are holding up, most of them are close to out of warranty now.
Anyone know whether the very-long battery warranty still applies to these used LEAF? I gathered from several USA YT videos that in the USA Nissan were offering 8-year warranty on the battery? this might be veering too off-topic for this forum, so ignore question if so.

Pity they only shipped with that beige interior in Australia.

I could live with that just to have a BEV.

I do wonder how Model 3 reservation holders are going to be strongly tempted as the Model S used price keeps dropping and dropping as early-adopters upgrade to the latest-and-greatest...or switch over to the Model X.

Anyone know whether the very-long battery warranty still applies to these used LEAF? I gathered from several USA YT videos that in the USA Nissan were offering 8-year warranty on the battery? this might be veering too off-topic for this forum, so ignore question if so.

I could live with that just to have a BEV.

I do wonder how Model 3 reservation holders are going to be strongly tempted as the Model S used price keeps dropping and dropping as early-adopters upgrade to the latest-and-greatest...or switch over to the Model X.

The vehicles on carsales.com may not have V2 or Ludicrous plus acceleration but they're still likely to be a very good motor car, I noticed one that is a mid 2015 build with 3100kms on the odometer.

Yes this is the cheapest and first sub 100K. I check CS many times a day (addicted!) and am waiting for the fabled $90K car. The previous cheapest was $102,500 from memory and it went quickly. There was one at $115K and then I think it dropped a couple of '000 and sold. Generally as soon as they get down around the $110K or less they sell fast. I don't expect this one to stay there for long, especially as it has autopilot.

Shames there's only two photos and none of the interior. I didn't think early cars like 2014 had autopilot hardware. I guess this is a later car than all the Sigs and first deliveries.

Yes this is the cheapest and first sub 100K. I check CS many times a day (addicted!) and am waiting for the fabled $90K car. The previous cheapest was $102,500 from memory and it went quickly. There was one at $115K and then I think it dropped a couple of '000 and sold. Generally as soon as they get down around the $110K or less they sell fast. I don't expect this one to stay there for long, especially as it has autopilot.

Shames there's only two photos and none of the interior. I didn't think early cars like 2014 had autopilot hardware. I guess this is a later car than all the Sigs and first deliveries.

From memory I believe all customer delivered cars in Australia have autopilot hardware, there may be a handfull of the first demo cars around without autopilot including a Sig Red that's in Western Australia.

From memory I believe all customer delivered cars in Australia have autopilot hardware, there may be a handfull of the first demo cars around without autopilot including a Sig Red that's in Western Australia.
Yes, all of the initial customer delivered cars got autopilot. There were a number of demonstrators and the initial run of signature cars that were 'de-sigged' and sold since the release of autopilot was shortly before the Australian launch and a number of the initial batch of cars were already on their way. You can tell one of the original signatures because it will have perforated leather and no autopilot.

Disappointing to me to see the price that low - considering the cost to replace it now with a new car, that's a bargain.

Yes, all of the initial customer delivered cars got autopilot. There were a number of demonstrators and the initial run of signature cars that were 'de-sigged' and sold since the release of autopilot was shortly before the Australian launch and a number of the initial batch of cars were already on their way. You can tell one of the original signatures because it will have perforated leather and no autopilot.

Disappointing to me to see the price that low - considering the cost to replace it now with a new car, that's a bargain.
Is it so low? An S75 with AP2 is pretty equivalent, and that's about 150k new.
Mind you, it's complicated by the massive price of AP2 and the bundling of interior features.
So glad I got mine when I did.

An S75 RWD with premium interior, dual chargers, metallic paint, upgraded stereo,air suspension and dual chargers is $173k...without AP2
True, true.
Still, 100/173 = 58%.

From Carsguide article:
How to choose the right car to maximise resale value

Brands with best resale value after three years/60,000km
1. Land Rover/Range Rover - 61 per cent
2. BMW - 58 per cent
2. Porsche - 58 per cent
4. Subaru - 56 per cent
5. Toyota - 55 per cent
6. Audi - 54 per cent
6. Jeep - 54 per cent
6. Mazda - 54 per cent
6. Mini - 54 per cent
10. Mercedes-Benz - 53 per cent
Source: Glass's Guide

IMG_8652.PNG
IMG_8651.PNG
When the Model S first came to Australia the list price for the cheapest one brand new with no options was under $100k already at around $95k. (According to Red Book and a few old Australian reviews I've read). A good benefit of owning a base model Tesla is experiencing the least depreciation relative to the new price.

Last edited:
View attachment 218516 View attachment 218515 When the Model S first came to Australia the list price for the cheapest one brand new with no options was under $100k already at around $95k. (According to Red Book and a few old Australian reviews I've read). A good benefit of owning a base model Tesla is experiencing the least depreciation relative to the new price.

That price wasn't drive away. You needed at add luxury tax etc. That pushed it over $100K. It annoys me that most car sites/articles put up a price no one can ever get - its like the real estate guys falsely stating auction prince ranges.

The redbook you added is for a 60 not an 85. Redbook in my opinion is misleading for Tesla prices as I have never seen a second hand one get anywhere near the low prices they state. I wish as I would have been able to afford one ages ago :). When redbook has the price at $100K I saw second hand ones fly off carsales at $115-120.

Redbook has this for that 85:

*Private Price Guide $81,900 - $88,600
*Trade In Price Guide $73,100 - $79,800
*Average Km 45,000 - 75,000

But it won't hang around at $99K.

Reactions: nigwil
IMG_0056.PNG

For laughs you can thank heaven that you didn't buy a BMW 7 series. I always laugh at those "best cars to buy for resale " type articles as I suspect they have agendas/paid sponsors. Call me a conspiracy theorist but I don't believe them. The highest depreciating car I've ever seen is a BMW 7 series. That should bring the BMW resale average unstuck just by itself. How would you feel buying a $400,000 vehicle only to have it worth $130,000 4-5 years later or $20,000 10 years later?!

There's one of these $400K cars on CS right now for $144K.

If the price in the article was not a drive away price, why would they say "in Australia Capital Territory". The state is what affects the driveaway price. I'm not saying it is definitely a drive away price - but I'm curious!
Yep, that was the base driveaway price of a 60 at launch in ACT. Was slightly over $100k in other states.

Back when the dollar was closer to parity....