Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Try at Garage Summon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tried using Summon to front and reverse park my P100D in the garage and got mixed results:

Any tips?

P.S. Ignore my comment about the car recognizing the location of the key and needing to be outside the garage.

I use daily in a narrower garage and it's awesome.

1. Make sure your settings are appropriate(set to "narrow" etc.)
2. If backing up stop manually w/FOB

Note: it normal to pause at ridge before continuing

Thanks for the tips, I do have it set for "Tight" and it does not just Pause at the ridge, it stops. Took 3 tries to get it into the garage reversing it. Why use the keyfob to stop it manually? Once I got it going it stops just fine at the distance I have set for it.

I wouldn't try the Tight setting until I was certain a more relaxed setting doesn't work. You really want it go in the middle between obstacles on either side, and the closer it is allowed to get to one side the less likely that is to happen. Have you tried standing next to the car as it goes through the opening, watching the proximity sensors on the dash to see what it thinks is too close? Or even just riding in the car as it does this?

I don't know what the basis for all of these "watch it like a hawk" comments is. My experience has been that the overwhelmingly most common failure mode is stopping too soon for a perceived obstacle. I can't recall ever seeing it fail to stop entirely. Ymmv, of course.

Reactions: JohnnyG
Why wouldn't you try the Tight setting? In any case I had it set normal and had similar experience, Tight doesn't seem to have made much difference for my garage. I have not tried watching to see what it thinks is too close, I will try that some time to see if I can get some insight, but not much I would be able to do about it in any case. If you watched the video you will see I lined it up pretty much dead center on the garage opening in all tries.

The reason why the Tesla stops on a ridge or a sudden incline like that when using summon is that region requires more torque from the drive motor(s), which is essentially Indistinguishable from having run into a low laying object that the ultrasonic sensors did not detect (
imagine having fallen prone on the floor directly in the cars path). If you restart with the summon a second time then the Tesla assumes that you really do want to run over that potential "obstacle".

The reason why the Tesla stops on a ridge or a sudden incline like that when using summon is that region requires more torque from the drive motor(s), which is essentially Indistinguishable from having run into a low laying object that the ultrasonic sensors did not detect (
imagine having fallen prone on the floor directly in the cars path). If you restart with the summon a second time then the Tesla assumes that you really do want to run over that potential "obstacle".
What it is willing to do on a second try is often quite different than what it was willing to do on the first. I routinely find it stops, thinking something is too close, but then if I do nothing but start it again it continues with no other intervention. I wouldn't be surprised if the same were true for bumps on the ground. It is also possible that, since static friction is typically larger than rolling friction, it "expects" to need a little more torque to get moving than to continue moving, so if the resistance is (only) initial it is willing to push past it.

I love my car but the summons feature is a huge letdown. I've had very little success with it. It only works backing out of the garage straight. It won't enter the garage no matter how many times I try - I think it first doesn't like the closeness of the doorframe and then won't go over the lip of the garage, no matter how long I hold the button nor how many times I restart it and try again. I tried it this morning and when I picked up my phone I had so many "summons started" "summons complete" "summons started" "summons complete""summons started" "summons complete""summons started" "summons complete""summons started" "summons complete""summons started" "summons complete" I got dizzy reading all of them. Still my car sat in front of my garage having a staring competition with the entrance. It kept flashing it's lights, I swear it was smirking and winking at the same time. Pure stubbornness! But it is really funny when I simply make it move forward or backward on the street and my friends thing its a thing from the future!

Summon is a bit of a gimmick. I use it sometimes just to show off, but it can't be trusted, which severely limits the utility. At least 1/5 times it will crash into my garage if not stopped. It needs to be perfectly lined up with the garage opening to work at all. Total disappointment for me compared to what was advertised.

I'm curious if there's a correlation between AP2 cars and summon not working as hoped?

I know there are a ton of people highly disappointed with it, yet there are a ton of people highly impressed with it. As mentioned earlier in the thread, I'm in the latter camp (and on AP1). Daily ingress/egress with obstacles in the garage, other cars in the driveway, and a larger ridge with an upward slope. It's so good, that after watching it like a hawk for the first 400 times, I've operated it blindly for the past 400+ times.

Maybe a poll is in order for:
AP1 Summons Happy
AP1 Summons Sad
AP2 Summons Happy
AP2 Summons Sad

I'd remove that mat and try it again. I think it might be sensing the mat ridge and stopping. Early in the video, did the car sense the garage door was closed then automatically open it?

I'd remove that mat and try it again. I think it might be sensing the mat ridge and stopping. Early in the video, did the car sense the garage door was closed then automatically open it?

It is not a mat, it is Race Deck flooring, and will not be removing it. I don't think it has anything to do with why car is stopping, seems car is sensing the opening and thinks it's too tight.

Yes, the car did sense the garage door was closed and automatically opened it at the beginning of the video.

Care to post a picture of the lip of your garage? If that's the main issue there may be hope...

Garage lip:

par1t.jpg

It is about 1 1/2" high.

Garage lip:

par1t.jpg

It is about 1 1/2" high.
Could you let the car try this and then post a picture of exactly where the tires are when it stops? It is a little hard to tell from this photo where the vertical ledges are and how high each one is. I assume you're saying that there's a total of 1 1/2" rise, not that any one step is that large (or are you?).

seems car is sensing the opening and thinks it's too tight
What's the evidence for this?

I only use summon as a demo for a new audience and not for my own practical daily use because it's just way too much slower than manual drive. May be it will be better than human in future but not for now.

It is better than human in some circumstances already.

I have been using it daily for 1.5 years.

there is no way in hell, I could have been able to park in my garage / get out without touching something at least once.

The summon parking never did.

Getting out works 95% of the time.

parking works 50% of the time, as in, it stop, I have to re initiate it

Could you let the car try this and then post a picture of exactly where the tires are when it stops? It is a little hard to tell from this photo where the vertical ledges are and how high each one is. I assume you're saying that there's a total of 1 1/2" rise, not that any one step is that large (or are you?).

What's the evidence for this?

There is a single rise only of 1 1/2" about 1" inside of the garage door track. There is no other lip or ledge the rest is either exactly at driveway level or garage floor level.

Evidence of it stopping due to opening is that it stops at the opening entering every time with no other encumbrance or barrier (you can see it in the video I already posted every time during entry and exit).

Ok, watching the video again closely, in light of the more detailed info from your photo, it is clear that at 2:31 (going forward) and 3:51 (going backward) it is getting hung up on the ledge. The fact that it continues from this point when you try again is consistent with the theory that the car is willing to "push" harder to get started than to continue once moving. I don't know how much you're willing to do to try to address this, but the next thing I would try would be putting a 1-2' long piece of 1/4" plywood over that entry ledge (probably right up to the edge of the floor mat) to make a more gradual ramp. If that enables the car to pass without stopping then you know that some sort of ramp there (there are a variety of ways to do that "for real") will solve at least that part of things.

As for the stopping for obstacle avoidance, which it seems to do prior to stopping due to the ledge, it would be useful to see little video of what the proximity sensor displays on the dash are doing when this happens. I assume you've tried different spacing settings?

Reactions: JohnnyG
Every so often, Summon becomes incredibly useful. I've used it to back my car out of a parking space where it has been "parked in" by cars too close on each side. This is especially handy when I have an older passenger who needs the door to be fully opened. There's also a couple of parking spaces at work situated between two sets of concrete columns, where it would otherwise be too tight a squeeze to get in or out of the car.

Reactions: jjh1234