Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fisker ocean - UK forum

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The big problem of course is that the EV market overall is stalling. The weaker players will fail first. Fisker is just too early in its production cycle and having the all-too-predictable software woes. VW’s ID cars were a mess for a year after their launch with software problems. Even today, the software is a running sore judging by posts on the ID Facebook page.

Reactions: FastLaneJB
Not related to Fisker but VW are migrating to Android Automotive, which is Android OS for cars (not to be confused with Android Auto). Making a car OS is hard which multiple car manufacturers have found to their cost, hence why more car manufacturers are moving to Android Automotive as a base. Do wonder whether Fisker would have been better going down this route rather than trying to go down the Tesla route with a bespoke OS.

Porsche have gone down the route of using Android for the new Macan, the new Volvo + Polestar, Renault cars use it. I've seen a video which shows the BYD Seal OS is Android as well (some Aussie dude sideloading Waze onto it).

It makes sense to use it but it would be nice if manufacturers go down the Porsche route of using it as a base rather than the Polestar/Volvo route where it's very obviously a Google system with Google branded apps used everywhere

Reactions: Durzel
Not related to Fisker but VW are migrating to Android Automotive, which is Android OS for cars (not to be confused with Android Auto). Making a car OS is hard which multiple car manufacturers have found to their cost, hence why more car manufacturers are moving to Android Automotive as a base. Do wonder whether Fisker would have been better going down this route rather than trying to go down the Tesla route with a bespoke OS.
This certainly helps but you still need to write a lot of the cars functions still. For instance my Lotus runs on Android Automative but this doesn't help the matrix headlights work properly, the adaptive cruise, the HVAC, battery management and so on.

Apropos of nothing but I thought the "This is the Worst Car I've Ever Reviewed" title of MKBHD's video about the car was pretty poor.

I realise the hustle is all about clickbait titles and stuff, but having actually watched the review the vast majority of the things he mentioned were essentially software bugs. Some were incomprehensible, others were just quirky (in my opinion). He even said in the review that the car itself was decent.

Anyway, someone with a big reach like he has - his subscribers and people who've heard of him won't necessarily consider how many cars he reviews to ascertain how authoritative he is on the subject, it's just "well known guy with X million subscribers DESTROYS Fisker", etc.

Minor gripe in the grand scheme of things, but hey ho.

Reactions: FastLaneJB
Apropos of nothing but I thought the "This is the Worst Car I've Ever Reviewed" title of MKBHD's video about the car was pretty poor.

I realise the hustle is all about clickbait titles and stuff, but having actually watched the review the vast majority of the things he mentioned were essentially software bugs. Some were incomprehensible, others were just quirky (in my opinion). He even said in the review that the car itself was decent.

Anyway, someone with a big reach like he has - his subscribers and people who've heard of him won't necessarily consider how many cars he reviews to ascertain how authoritative he is on the subject, it's just "well known guy with X million subscribers DESTROYS Fisker", etc.

I'm torn on this but Fiskers reaction was pretty poor about not wanting him to review the car initially and trying to block it.

It's like, "We're happy to sell this product as it is to final customers at full price, but no, please don't publish a review of it until we develop our v2 software..."

No one should be buying cars based on the manufacturer promises of future OTA improvements / software updates. (Auto wipers anyone?)

When Fisker delivered the first Ocean, it means in my book they were happy & ready to stand by their product.
Otherwise... "Don't ship sh*t", as Steve Jobs used to say... It's only fair the reviews came back to bite them.

Were you planning on buying one? You sound disappointed with Marcus’s review. I am not saying he is the authority on the electric car subjects but he knows a thing or two about software. And in essence when Tesla broke the electric car market with their bottom up approach of software first followed by supporting hardware - it was the final nail in the coffin for traditional automotive reviewers. Yes, you can survive with the old tricks of talking about handling, road manners, tyres etc., but your YT videos won’t have the reach of MKBHD. And EV buyers are going to be more focused on whether their car can do instagrams and tiktok than whether you can do a donut like Jeremy Clarkson. So yes, Marcus and his clans who knows a thing or two about software will be the main influencers. I think as @FastLaneJB mentioned the Fisker slump, the investor confidence and the stock market reaction was based on MKBHDs review. MKBHD has a lot of influence in NA among the software groups both established and startups. He is one of the YT influencers who has interviewed most of the trillion dollar companies CEO for his channel. That goes a long way.

I agree, didn't sound quite as bad as the title but you hit the nail on the head, even the biggest YouTubers are going to go with clickbait titles because frankly it just works. Us humans are suckers for it, I'd probably not have watched it if it didn't say "Worst car" on the title.

Reactions: Durzel
I agree, didn't sound quite as bad as the title but you hit the nail on the head, even the biggest YouTubers are going to go with clickbait titles because frankly it just works. Us humans are suckers for it, I'd probably not have watched it if it didn't say "Worst car" on the title.
It's not really the humans that are the suckers - it's the algorithms which push this stuff to us.

It's not really the humans that are the suckers - it's the algorithms which push this stuff to us.
The algorithms are designed to take advantage of us and our human weaknesses. If it didn’t work they wouldn’t bother with it.

It’s frankly why AI I think could be the worst thing mankind has invented to this point. Sure there’s some advantages which we might see early on but when it’s pulling our strings like we are puppets, we might not agree so much.

Not good news:

Update here, perhaps MSM were a bit too quick to assume the restructuring advisors hired were for the purpose of exploring a bankruptcy filling:

Stock rallying in after hours after losing 54% overnight.

Reactions: Sean.
I believe it’s a case of hoping for the best and preparing for the worst.
Often these things don’t work out and the company folds as no deal is made. As I see it, there’s not really any reason to save it. If you look at the current facts:

Burns lots of money, including making a loss I believe on every car sold

EV demand is not matching growth of production, market is very weak at the moment.

Not a strong or well known brand

Last Fisker attempt also ended in bankruptcy

How long would you have to keep pumping money in and losing it before maybe, just maybe it can turn a profit? Took Tesla 10 odd years was it roughly and they didn’t have much to any competition back then.

Maybe at most Nissan will buy some of their tech for cheap but doubt they’ll prop up the whole company.

Reactions: KennethS