Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Florida Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At the meeting...first Austin builds early in 2022 ramping up to full production by end of 2022. I read elsewhere in this community that you sure can decline a car, but get to back of the line.

What's the ETA on the first builds? Early 2022? Mid 2022? I am somewhat patient... but not that patient :)

I could just accept the MYLR, put in another order, and sell/trade the older MYLR when the new one is ready :)
I was the same way until I started driving a Tesla around, and now I never want to go back to ICE, and frankly, I was wasting more money with the ICE for gas. I would say take delivery unless you own a Tesla or something you are happy with. Still, if you hold, you could be waiting until June or July, even though it says April because ANYTHING can happen in Texas, and they might give you a model from Fremont to make up for it. So, if you have a definite date and want the car, take delivery and be happy cause I can promise you, I sure am. Again, this is just my personal opinion. I have not seen enough information that makes the 2.0 that much better than what we currently have. Also, you can always trade-in/sell the MY you take to buy a 2.0 later down the road when prices drop if it makes such a huge impact. Just my 2 cents, I am not giving up my date, that is for sure.

Also, if the bill gets passed, it wouldn't start until next year...so that is something else to think about. Free money is always nice if you don't mind waiting for it (again, if it gets passed and what the rules behind it are).

Last edited:
According to everything that’s been said by all the people who follow Tesla closely (Twitter and likely somewhere on TMC), it appears the MY rolling off the production line in Austin will have both front and rear castings, 4680 structural pack, new headlights, and potentially new seats. I don’t know about you, but those first three things are definitely notable and worth waiting for in my opinion. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Furthermore, when it comes to the castings and the 4680 structural pack… in Elon’s own words, this will be happening BEFORE the end of the year. This isn’t someone else thinking this may happen, he said it himself.

Reactions: Hurricane4911
I was the same way until I started driving a Tesla around, and now I never want to go back to ICE, and frankly, I was wasting more money with the ICE for gas. I would say take delivery unless you own a Tesla or something you are happy with. Still, if you hold, you could be waiting until June or July, even though it says April because ANYTHING can happen in Texas, and they might give you a model from Fremont to make up for it. So, if you have a definite date and want the car, take delivery and be happy cause I can promise you, I sure am. Again, this is just my personal opinion. I have not seen enough information that makes the 2.0 that much better than what we currently have. Also, you can always trade-in/sell the MY you take to buy a 2.0 later down the road when prices drop if it makes such a huge impact. Just my 2 cents, I am not giving up my date, that is for sure.

Also, if the bill gets passed, it wouldn't start until next year...so that is something else to think about. Free money is always nice if you don't mind waiting for it (again, if it gets passed and what the rules behind it are).

I have an ID.4 as my filler EV and you have your M3 SR+ (I think). Originally I was thinking I'd be happy with a March/April timeframe (EDD shifted that far back) but now I prefer Jan. If no tax credit... I could probably wait until August to 100% get Model Y from Austin but I think I should just accept the my first order and submit a second order :)

Reactions: Samier_RN
I also heard if you put a hold for too long (12 months) they can cancel your order.

I visited the Orlando/Eatonville center today with a bunch of questions. Any change triggers an automatic recent $1K increase in addition to the change price. If I'm not available during the 3-day window I will get the next unassigned VIN/car with the same config (I could be delayed by a month or more). My EDD has held firm Dec 7-27. Some of you have had it moved up but not mine.

The only delay I'm willing to accept is if the EV bill gets passed and Tesla is eligible for the $7500 credit.
With wait times out to April, Tesla can well afford to be less accommodating. Not a criticism, just the way a free market works 😉.

MDY has had 3 price increases this year. With most upscale SUV EVs selling above $60k, Tesla has plenty of room for price increases, and still be the least expensive, and #1 vehicle. Price has increased $2k since my order, eating into any tax credit I would receive.
With an impressive list of new features, it would not surprise me to see another increase, early in 2022 in price of the MDY with v 2.0 and the passage of the bill.
I'm playing the hand I was dealt. Its damn near impossible to keep pace with the velocity of change in this decade.

I think everyone should just get their cars as soon as possible, enjoy them and be done with it.. I know I'm loving every second that I'm behind the wheel of my MYP and have no plans of playing the "latest and greatest" game, it's a recipe for financial disaster in my opinion. Reminds me of my niece and nephew getting their new iphones every year because of one minor tweak that they've determined to be life altering, lol.

I have an ID.4 as my filler EV and you have your M3 SR+ (I think). Originally I was thinking I'd be happy with a March/April timeframe (EDD shifted that far back) but now I prefer Jan. If no tax credit... I could probably wait until August to 100% get Model Y from Austin but I think I should just accept the my first order and submit a second order :)
I say stick with the order and place another. $100 is fine and even though the price went up, if and big if, the tax breaks happens it would be like the increase never happened and you still win. Then you sell your current car and win even more. I only see a lot of win/win opportunities if you keep the first and buy a second. I also remember someone mentioning if you hold too long they will cancel it. I’ve spoken to man reps and you can see my original order was 2020 and July was my completion. When I had this urge to wait for the 2.0 I asked can I hold again for a year since I have a M3 and they said it was no issues. Just every 6 months they will ask if you want to keep it. So you have options but as anything can happen, just keep records. But as you can see I’m not waiting. I want my MY and will be happy with it. Just ask yourself will the upgrades make you happy and do you want to wait for the unknown.
With wait times out to April, Tesla can well afford to be less accommodating. Not a criticism, just the way a free market works 😉.

MDY has had 3 price increases this year. With most upscale SUV EVs selling above $60k, Tesla has plenty of room for price increases, and still be the least expensive, and #1 vehicle. Price has increased $2k since my order, eating into any tax credit I would receive.
With an impressive list of new features, it would not surprise me to see another increase, early in 2022 in price of the MDY with v 2.0 and the passage of the bill.
I'm playing the hand I was dealt. Its damn near impossible to keep pace with the velocity of change in this decade.
Yeah that can do anything at this point.
Lol, because he's been so spot on with his timelines in the past.....
Exactly my thoughts. It’s October and he said early October we should see MY rolling off for delivery. I haven’t even heard if the car is street legal yet.
I think everyone should just get their cars as soon as possible, enjoy them and be done with it.. I know I'm loving every second that I'm behind the wheel of my MYP and have no plans of playing the "latest and greatest" game, it's a recipe for financial disaster in my opinion. Reminds me of my niece and nephew getting their new iphones every year because of one minor tweak that they've determined to be life altering, lol.
These cars evolve a lot over the years but you know what I noticed at the EV event, no one cared. They loved their Tesla and I’m talking about ones that don’t even have cameras on the pillars, so original models. Heck the picture of the model S I took has the sun roof that was originally offered when it was first released. So, just got to love what you get because every couple years something new will pop. The point, enjoy the car and love it but if you need the newest feature, by all means wait for it. As I’ve said, I’m loving my drive and I couldn’t be happier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hurricane4911
I say stick with the order and place another. $100 is fine and even though the price went up, if and big if, the tax breaks happens it would be like the increase never happened and you still win. Then you sell your current car and win even more. I only see a lot of win/win opportunities if you keep the first and buy a second. I also remember someone mentioning if you hold too long they will cancel it. I’ve spoken to man reps and you can see my original order was 2020 and July was my completion. When I had this urge to wait for the 2.0 I asked can I hold again for a year since I have a M3 and they said it was no issues. Just every 6 months they will ask if you want to keep it. So you have options but as anything can happen, just keep records.

Yeah that can do anything at this point.

Exactly my thoughts. It’s October and he said early October we should see MY rolling off for delivery. I haven’t even heard if the car is street legal yet.

These cars evolve a lot over the years but you know what I noticed at the EV event, no one cared. They loved their Tesla and I’m talking about ones that don’t even that cameras on the pillars. That’s the point, enjoy the car and love it but if you need the newest feature, by all means wait for it. As I’ve said, I’m loving my drive and I couldn’t be happier.
There's still Model S' on the road that are nearly 10 years old and from the owners I've spoken with, they're still loving their cars very much. These cars are basically computers on wheels and are always going to be evolving.. to your point, when there's a feature I can't live without getting introduced, I'll either try to get an aftermarket installation for the same or weigh my options for a newer model.

According to everything that’s been said by all the people who follow Tesla closely (Twitter and likely somewhere on TMC), it appears the MY rolling off the production line in Austin will have both front and rear castings, 4680 structural pack, new headlights, and potentially new seats. I don’t know about you, but those first three things are definitely notable and worth waiting for in my opinion. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Furthermore, when it comes to the castings and the 4680 structural pack… in Elon’s own words, this will be happening BEFORE the end of the year. This isn’t someone else thinking this may happen, he said it himself.

Please watch at 1:05:40 until 1:07:24 he was asked and says we will not see 4680 in Texas this year but Fremont has a pilot facility working on them.

Last edited:
To further add to my comment, I think that part of what attracts us to these cars so much is their ability to be "future proof," at least with the core underlying tech that moves and operates them.
There's still Model S' on the road that are nearly 10 years old and from the owners I've spoken with, they're still loving their cars very much. These cars are basically computers on wheels and are always going to be evolving.. to your point, when there's a feature I can't live without getting introduced, I'll either try to get an aftermarket installation for the same or weigh my options for a newer model

We absolutely will see 4680 packs in Austin, but they won’t be produced in Austin… they’ll be produced in California.

Start at 2:08 and watch through the 4680 comments.
Sounds good to me, it’s a “we shall see” moment. It’s a win for all if it comes true but I still stand by my words, enjoy the car whether it’s a 1.0 or 2.0 or anything we call it. @DMateo said it best, “ability to be "future proof," at least with the core underlying tech that moves and operates them,”is still the main concern. Everything else is icing on the cake.

Reactions: DMateo and pcmike
Sounds good to me, it’s a “we shall see” moment. It’s a win for all if it comes true but I still stand by my words, enjoy the car whether it’s a 1.0 or 2.0 or anything we call it. @DMateo said it best, “ability to be "future proof," at least with the core underlying tech that moves and operates them,”is still the main concern. Everything else is icing on the cake.
I agree with you both, kinda 😭

As much as I want to stop driving this smart car and get my MY, if I have to suffer a little longer to get an Austin MY I guess I’ll do it!

My first car was a 2x hand-me-down 1963 Chevy Biscayne in 1970 rusted out from NY winters with 85k miles. Straight six, no A/C, and a full metal dashboard with no seatbelts. A real chick magnet of a car 🤣.

I'm over the moon with my v1.25 (or whatever) MDY, no matter where it's built. Two years from now, when I buy my next Tesla, we'll see a totally different car with unimaginable capability and features.
With some wiggle room, for delays, 60 days from now, it'll be in my garage...maybe

My dates still holding firm (Dec 7-27th). Can't decide if this is a good thing or not.
It’s good, once it starts to shrink, even better. The closer the days come together the closer to a vin. Would be a nice holiday gift lol.

Also, just filled out my DCU loan information finally. Figured it’s time to get that done since I’m getting closer. Will let you know how smooth that goes and how simple it is to use Tesla Financial rate matching.