Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An AWD car would say chill vs standard instead of chill vs sport for Acceleration

True, there appear to be many signs, as you would expect.

Yeah, I took delivery in late November '18.

but I think next time I see another Model 3 at the local supercharger maybe I will ask to see their screen to compare.

There's no reason to do this. There's no ambiguity about the software on your car. It would be marginally more interesting to understand the performance you actually have. But there's really no reason to think you don't have Performance acceleration.

has your car always had the red underline or did you just notice it? Have yo received software updates since noticing the red underline?
So the first thing I noticed was when they released track mode, I think that was the first software update we got after we picked up the car. once it updated I was going through the settings to see what was changed and I noticed track mode but never gave it any thought, till last night. When I read that only performance model have track mode, I thought all LR AWD cars had it enabled but clearly I was wrong.

So the first thing I noticed was when they released track mode, I think that was the first software update we got after we picked up the car. once it updated I was going through the settings to see what was changed and I noticed track mode but never gave it any thought, till last night. When I read that only performance model have track mode, I thought all LR AWD cars had it enabled but clearly I was wrong.

Some owners got performance when they only ordered LR AWD. Seems like you were one of them. My co-worker also picked up his LR AWD last fall and I noticed he had a red underline.

Reactions: Nogasmn
After hearing stories that imply not all inventory AWD cars (or even a majority) can be sold as a P3D- I'm starting to think that a full performance upgrade is not going to happen. I don't think tesla will offer it if only a small random sampling of cars are able to be upgraded.

But I am holding out hope for a un-corking.

My current hope/theory is that Tesla will wait until Porsche releases the final Taycan specs, and then they will uncork the AWD to be a bit faster (at half the price).

I don't think the Taycan is really aligned with the Model 3 in terms of segment. It costs twice as much as even a P3D. So if a Tesla 3PD is remotely competitive with it (at least off the line), that's pretty impressive. I don't think Tesla is going to feel pressured to make the DM AWD quicker just because of the Taycan. BMW 3 Series performance seems much more likely to prod Tesla to bump it up.

I don't think tesla will offer it if only a small random sampling of cars are able to be upgraded.

It's not a small random sample. 980 motors were used on all AWD non-P up to Jan 2019. 990 motors were used on AWD non-P after that point. I'll be happy if Tesla offers a $2k paid Performance software upgrade to the early AWD owners with 980 motors who paid a premium for their cars.

Tesla previously uncorked some Model S/X 75D that were capable of the uncork. Some owners felt left out but that's how things go.

I just got a response back from Tesla

Thank you for contacting Tesla Customer Support with your suggestion about upgrading a Long Range AWD Model 3 to Performance. This is currently not an available option but we do appreciate your feedback and will forward it to the appropriate team for consideration in future updates. We cannot promise that this option will be available, but our team reviews every customer request seriously.

Then this was the second response

Thank you for following up with me on this request. Currently this is not an option. I do not know if it is a possibility but you are not the only one to have requested it. I have submitted the request for review though and hopefully, if it can be done, it will become available in the near future. I recommend subscribing to our newsletter so that if it is announced, you will be notified.

I just got a response back from Tesla

Thank you for contacting Tesla Customer Support with your suggestion about upgrading a Long Range AWD Model 3 to Performance. This is currently not an available option but we do appreciate your feedback and will forward it to the appropriate team for consideration in future updates. We cannot promise that this option will be available, but our team reviews every customer request seriously.

Then this was the second response

Thank you for following up with me on this request. Currently this is not an option. I do not know if it is a possibility but you are not the only one to have requested it. I have submitted the request for review though and hopefully, if it can be done, it will become available in the near future. I recommend subscribing to our newsletter so that if it is announced, you will be notified.

How do we sign up for the newsletter?

It is VERY infrequent with very little info. Just a quick scan and the last one I saw was from 3/1.
Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 1.24.51 PM.png

If we want to make sure Elon notices the tweets about AWD->P upgrade then if would be great if everybody on the thread here could do a twitter search like this: https://twitter.com/search?q=@elonmusk awd performance&src=typed_query&f=live (logged in) or @elonmusk awd performance - Twitter Search (for @elonmusk, AWD and performance, sort by latest) and "like" every tweet you see mentioning the potential upgrade (there are a lot of tweets :) ). Also make a new tweet at the same time - tag Elon and use the word AWD in the tweet somewhere, so it will get many likes and hopefully be seen. :)

Last edited:
If we want to make sure Elon notices the tweets about AWD->P upgrade then if would be great if everybody on the thread here could do a twitter search like this: https://twitter.com/search?q=@elonmusk awd performance&src=typed_query&f=live (logged in) or @elonmusk awd performance - Twitter Search (for @elonmusk, AWD and performance, sort by latest) and "like" every tweet you see mentioning the potential upgrade (there are a lot of tweets :) ). Also make a new tweet at the same time - tag Elon and use the word AWD in the tweet somewhere, so it will get many likes and hopefully be seen. :)

Did I read somewhere that he replied to one of those tweets saying wait for Santa Claus, or something like that? Was that a "wink-wink" that something may come later this year, or just he over-indulgence on marijuana comment? ;)

Yeah, I don't recall. I just remember the line and having some hope! Less hope today knowing I have a 990 rear DU...

Yes, it was here:

Sorry for not clarifying: it will cost money to upgrade performance

When I was purchasing my car, I told someone I want a p3d without the 20s. He/she/it told me to get an lr awd and wait for Santa