Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t think we can rely on the EPA data in instances where Tesla wants to sandbag the outcome.

Tesla asked the EPA to downrate the 3LR.

AWD looks bad range wise otherwise so it was to Tesla’s benefit to do this.

I'm confused by your comment as well. Tesla didn't sandbag the outcome. Both 2020 model year vehicles (P3D with 18s, and non-P AWD) were tested under identical conditions (hence why we have certification and standardized testing), and the P car in what we can only assume is identical trim (18" wheels, similar brakes, same ride height) came out ahead on efficiency and range. Tesla then asked EPA to downrate the 18" wheeled Performance version to match the non-Performance AWD version. That certified data (essentially under penalty of perjury, because EPA could take legal action against Tesla if it found that Tesla violated the testing procedures in any significant way) is public and accessible for all to see.

The P is still around 0.5s faster to 60mph. Would need much more than 22hp to do that. We need data from a boosted car to see what actual output is. I would wager a guess the front motor is still nerfed even after the boost.
I certainly hope so. I don't say that as a P owner but as a stockholder that doesn't want to see Performance sales disappear.

I'd encourage everyone to shun the half-a-P- upgrade until they make it a full-P- or almost-full-P upgrade. Perhaps if its generally ignored they'll give us all the acceleration that any new buyer today can get for $2k. I'd even pay a bit more than 2k for a full-P-upgrade. Its not that I don't have the money, its just that I can do better things with it than say "my car is a >little< better than it was new......wooohoo!"

I'm actually mildly saddened by this halfway thing, they could have made me quite happy this Christmas, too.

I might eventually change my mind if they improve 'boost' over time..... I presume my $2k will be just as green in several months.

I'd encourage everyone to shun the half-a-P- upgrade until they make it a full-P- or almost-full-P upgrade. Perhaps if its generally ignored they'll give us all the acceleration that any new buyer today can get for $2k. I'd even pay a bit more than 2k for a full-P-upgrade. Its not that I don't have the money, its just that I can do better things with it than say "my car is a >little< better than it was new......wooohoo!"

I'm actually mildly saddened by this halfway thing, they could have made me quite happy this Christmas, too.

I might eventually change my mind if they improve 'boost' over time..... I presume my $2k will be just as green in several months.

I just don't think Tesla will go this route. It doesn't make sense for them. There are 2 models offered in the AWD configuration. Performance (with and without PUP) and AWD. Performance will always remain as such and AWD will also remain as such. If they bring AWD to performance speed (if they can) then what differentiates the performance model (P3D-) from AWD that was brought to same but was not bought that way? What about the red line that signifies the performance model? Do you get that or not, does the car get stripped to AWD post sale back to tesla cause the car is really an AWD by birth?

It really opens up a can of worms in my opinion. By keeping a spread between performance and AWD/AWD+ they don't have to get into this quagmire. So in my opinion, they will never equate the AWD++++++ to any performance model (+ or -). They will keep it at a spread.

Thanks. Seems clear they are still artificially limiting acceleration. No higher top end, no track mode, and only 1/2 of the acceleration of the P3-. For 1K that would be fair, but for the same price as the P3- it should be a full unlock.

TESLA - raise the price to 3K and make it a full P3- unlock.

I don't know how I am supposed to understand all this. I bought a Model 3 Performance, and now it seems Tesla has P'd all over all of us early M3P supporters as they burned us bad. What is the difference on all these P-, P+ stuff? It's more like a Tesla doing another P in your mouth move.... Feeling this P'd on is a bit too much as an early supporter of Tesla Model 3 P's. If I decide to trade in my M3P, $75,0000 car in next year, I am so screwed, buried and P'd on, it feels like I deserve a free fake Steele Dossier with a tape of the golden shower. Elon forgot to kiss us aftrerwards.

Still feeling burned that you can buy one nearly 20K less than I just paid for a Model 3 P, just last year. Thank you Tesla, you really owe a lot early adopters free FSD , or something, think about it....:-(

What is the difference on all these P-, P+ stuff?

P+ is what you probably have. 20" wheels, big breaks, spoiler, & aluminium pedals. Tesla currently sells these for ~8K more than AWD.

P- is a NON-P car that was flashed with P software. It has the same fast acceleration as the P3+, but none of the extra hardware (wheels, breaks, etc).Tesla sells these off and on for ~2K more than AWD.

Reactions: Led Jetson
I don't know how I am supposed to understand all this. I bought a Model 3 Performance, and now it seems Tesla has P'd all over all of us early M3P supporters as they burned us bad. What is the difference on all these P-, P+ stuff? It's more like a Tesla doing another P in your mouth move.... Feeling this P'd on is a bit too much as an early supporter of Tesla Model 3 P's. If I decide to trade in my M3P, $75,0000 car in next year, I am so screwed, buried and P'd on, it feels like I deserve a free fake Steele Dossier with a tape of the golden shower. Elon forgot to kiss us aftrerwards.

Still feeling burned that you can buy one nearly 20K less than I just paid for a Model 3 P, just last year. Thank you Tesla, you really owe a lot early adopters free FSD , or something, think about it....:-(

You didn't get any state / federal tax credits?

P+ is what you probably have. 20" wheels, big breaks, spoiler, & aluminium pedals
P- is a NON-P car that was flashed with P software. It has the same fast acceleration as the P3+, but none of the extra hardware (wheels, breaks, etc).

P- is a P car the doesn't have the larger brakes, spoiler, lowering Springs. It's a Performance, it's listed as performance, it is sold as performance, even comes with a red underline in the back. Until it says otherwise. P3D- is a Performance car without the PUP and is not an AWD with a Performance flash.

Reactions: BM3B
P- is a P car the doesn't have the larger brakes, spoiler, lowering Springs. It's a Performance, it's listed as performance, it is sold as performance, even comes with a red underline in the back. Until it says otherwise. P3D- is a Performance car without the PUP and is not an AWD with a Performance flash.

The whole point of this thread is that there is strong evidence that aside from the badge, the at least until quite recently, the only difference between AWD and P3- is software. Service manual confirms the parts are the same, people who ordered P3- cars have been given AWD, when the owners complained Tesla just sent the P software as an OTA update.

This tread is about begging Tesla to sell us the P software.

The whole point of this thread is that there is strong evidence that aside from the badge, the at least until quite recently, the only difference between AWD and P3- is software. Service manual confirms the parts are the same, people who ordered P3- cars have been given AWD, when the owners complained Tesla just sent the P software as an OTA update.

This tread is about begging Tesla to sell us the P software.

I def understand the argument. I just don't think they will accommodate the full uncork (assuming 980s are all the same) for reasons I listed a few posts back. They are trying to placate the request by splitting the difference and not pissing off the P+ crowd / cannibalizing those sales.

Reactions: CitiesSprinter
I def understand the argument. I just don't think they will accommodate the full uncork (assuming 980s are all the same) for reasons I listed a few posts back. They are trying to placate the request by splitting the difference and not pissing off the P+ crowd / cannibalizing those sales.

Yeah that makes a lot of sense. I think the price would be easier to accept if it wasn't the same price they charge for a Stealth.

At 1000-1500 it would have been perfect. For 2k, I'm not even sure I'll get it. I was hoping for track mode and full uncork.

I just don't think Tesla will go this route. It doesn't make sense for them. There are 2 models offered in the AWD configuration. Performance (with and without PUP) and AWD. Performance will always remain as such and AWD will also remain as such. If they bring AWD to performance speed (if they can) then what differentiates the performance model (P3D-) from AWD that was brought to same but was not bought that way? What about the red line that signifies the performance model? Do you get that or not, does the car get stripped to AWD post sale back to tesla cause the car is really an AWD by birth?

It really opens up a can of worms in my opinion. By keeping a spread between performance and AWD/AWD+ they don't have to get into this quagmire. So in my opinion, they will never equate the AWD++++++ to any performance model (+ or -). They will keep it at a spread.

May guess is that the Stealth Performance is going away, as it already created too much confusion. Instead we have now LR AWD, LR AWD+, and Performance. Also note that you cannot order the LR AWD+. You have to get a LR AWD and then upgrade it online.

Reactions: m3snowy and primo
Still feeling burned that you can buy one nearly 20K less than I just paid for a Model 3 P, just last year.

No, you can't.

In fact the price is almost exactly the same if you order one now as what they cost last year, if you remember that last year buyers got a $7500 tax credit and a $5000 refund check from Tesla.

Exact math has been posted numerous times in this (and other) threads yet people keep getting this so very badly wrong.

Did you, or did you not, receive the car you purchased at the price you agreed to pay?

If so, YOU ARE OWED NOTHING.

If not, you have a contractual issue. At this point, seek an attorney.