Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fragile top glass and windshield šŸ˜ 

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My top glass and windshield were hit by a rock on the freeway and both cracked immediately!!! Costing me $3200 to fix and my appt to get it replaced isnā€™t till mid December!!! I also have a Mercedes and so many rocks have hit the windshield on the freeway and never has it cracked!! Sucks that we pay so much for Tesla and we have shitty glasss... anyone else agree?
Even though I filled claims with my insurance and they partially paid for the repairs, I hate how cheaply the glsss is.. does anyone else agree on this? is there a reason why the glass breaks so damn easily??? Anyone had the same thing happen to them. šŸ˜”

I had this same issue and they replaced both. I was shocked that the roof is cheaper than the windshield. Also just got another strike on windshield after it was replaced only a month ago. My appointment is Nov 22.

It's not just Tesla. There's a minimum standard that all manufacturers must abide by set forth by NHTSA among other agencies.
Windshields are also designed to fail in a way that doesn't damage occupants, or someone struck by a moving vehicle, if they were to strike the windshield. I'm sure they could make a windshield that's 1" thick that almost never broke. But that would add cost, weight, change some of the design parameters of roof and A pillars, and you sure wouldn't want to smack into that, inside or out.

Personally I'm okay with the trade-offs that modern laminated glass affords. Its lighter, optically very clear, and repairable in many instances.

You don't have all those cameras and other stuff on the roof panel.
The cameras are not included in the windshield, itā€™s a special glass. Multi layer laminated to prevent you from being ejected from the car, federally regulated. The roof on the other hand is a single laminated sheet, not federally regulated. I thought the roof would cost more as itā€™s 2x the sizeā€¦

I can also confirm that the windshield glass on some MB cars is way more than on a Tesla.

The cameras are not included in the windshield, itā€™s a special glass. Multi layer laminated to prevent you from being ejected from the car, federally regulated. The roof on the other hand is a single laminated sheet, not federally regulated. I thought the roof would cost more as itā€™s 2x the sizeā€¦

I can also confirm that the windshield glass on some MB cars is way more than on a Tesla.
The roof is even more special than the windshield. The roof is essentially a windshield applied to the roof and rear. The roof is dual layered as well with multiple film properties and it is a crucial member of the roofs structure. Impacts are designed to spread the force thru the roof.

I'm always amused when people complain about a rock hitting their GLASS and it breaks... 'Well, my old car glass never broke when rocks hit it = Tesla glass sucks'.... No two situations are exactly the same so you really can't compare. That said, I did get full glass coverage on my MY, mainly because of the glass roof. Never did that on any of my other cars before.

I got my a crack on my front windshield. Only had the car for 3 months... :'(
I heard a loud sound while driving on the freeway. Then noticed a hairline crack about 12 inches on my front windshield. I've been driving for over 20 years and never had a crack on my windshield from any rocks so this is so crazy to me. I've had tiny chips from rocks, but never a crack like this.

Anyhow, does anyone have any experience going through a different vendor besides Tesla around Los Angeles?

I know this is slightly offtopic, whatā€™s the best advise when it comes to reducing your chances of getting hit with stones on the freeway? I have learned to avoid being behind trucks as much as possible. Are there any other best practices you follow?

I know this is slightly offtopic, whatā€™s the best advise when it comes to reducing your chances of getting hit with stones on the freeway? I have learned to avoid being behind trucks as much as possible. Are there any other best practices you follow?
My experience isā€¦ itā€™s actually safe behind big trucks. Itā€™s when passing them on their sides they tend to kick up stuff.

I always try to pass on their driver side quickly. Good thing our cars are pretty quick.