Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From Tesla: Model X Safety Notification

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even if the outside seat manufacturer was given full control over the design (unlikely)... Tesla is still responsible for quality control, and if they are so focused on safety I would expect them to conduct these tests BEFORE the car is released.
Well it's hard to understand why this was not picked up during the pre USA production but this is what Tesla stated:

Recently, during an internal seat strength test that was conducted prior to the start of Model X deliveries in Europe, the recliner in a third row Model X seat unexpectedly slipped.

The outside seat manufacturer of the simpler folding 3rd row seats is Futuris Automotive at their factory in Newark, CA which is near the Tesla Factory.

Originally, all seat manufacturing was in house, although it was a third party that Tesla gave space to on the factory floor. Futuris Automotive leased a 160,000 SF former Staples Inc. distribution center and converted it into a Tesla seat factory (including other interior components) in 2014 and moved this activity out of leased space inside Tesla Factory:

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/...aker-futuris-ramps-up-in-newark-reshores.html

Includes this image and caption: [photo credit: Noah Berger] "Tesla Model S seats are pictured on an assembly line at Futuris Automotive's 160,000 square foot plant and office space in Newark, Calif.":

futuris-seat-factory-jpg.98648
Thanks for article....I had thought that due to early seat problems they had moved all Mfg. in-house. Clearly, thats not the case.

Well it's hard to understand why this was not picked up during the pre USA production but this is what Tesla stated:

Additionally, they stated this:

Similar testing was conducted before the start of deliveries in North America, with 15 confirmation tests having been conducted without a single recliner failure

So 15 tests, engineering that made them believe things are reasonably safe.. That seems like a valid approach. Then, they have a surprise failure in the EU so they recall the others.

Even if the outside seat manufacturer was given full control over the design (unlikely)... Tesla is still responsible for quality control, and if they are so focused on safety I would expect them to conduct these tests BEFORE the car is released.

If you read the notice, they stated that they had zero failures when doing the tests in the US and experienced a single failure in Europe.

Love that tesla fixes all cars when one doesn't pass.not every car maker will do this.owners should be happy instead of seeing the negatives.
Well, honestly, I expect that any manufacturer would do that given the business case - a very limited number vehicles shipped, 1/16 tests result in failure. As you can read upthread, I think they did everything well up to this. I'm just saying, let's not praise them for doing what's probably pretty average.

If you want to dig deeper, you can look at my other question early in this thread - when you've already identified and fixed the issue on your production line by 3/26, why keep shipping them at the end of the quarter and all the way through early April? If you're being held to a higher standard, you stop delivering vehicles when you realize you've got an issue that requires repair. And if you've already got a fix on your production line by 3/26, when did you identify the issue?

I'm happy they recalled. I look forward to our new seat backs which will continue to make this a very safe automobile, like our Model S. But I don't want to view this decision solely with rose colored glasses.

Last edited:
I happy they recalled. I look forward to our new seat backs which will continue to make this a very safe automobile, like our Model S. But I don't want to view this decision solely with rose colored glasses.

Fully agreed. Tesla did the right thing but as you said, it is not a very high bar to cross, many car manufacturers will do this and all are expected to do this.

Overall I think Tesla is truly innovating and setting very high bars in many ways including the EV technology, battery design, car design, auto pilot, distribution network, OTAs etc. but based on my experience when it comes to customer service they are just middle of the road car company. I found their staff to be polite but ineffective and not empowered to serve customers effectively. I feel like I am left to navigate them as a company rather than someone there taking ownership of proactively resolving my concerns. I am hopeful that they will realize that latter bit is going to be critical for their continued success.

If I had a dollar for every time a subcontractor swapped out grade 8 bolts for Chinese 6's (which often fail even the Rockwell 6 hardness test) I'd be retired. Yes, they'd both be jointly/severally liable - but Tesla would recover from the subs. Besides, the very REASON over looked here, may very well be that Tesla DID in fact take apart junk done by subs, then upon discovery, did the right thing ... recall.

I'm glad that Tesla is performing the recall before anyone got hurt and that they're trying to get it done quickly. That said, the car we waited 3+ years to get is now sitting unused in the garage after only about 3 weeks of ownership. We have three kids and got the 6 seater so it's not useable for my wife's daily life. She's driving around the Yukon XL (Suburban) we've hung onto for dump runs and she's not happy about it. I can't say I blame her.

she's not happy about it. I can't say I blame her.
Agreed. Have you (or has anyone else in this thread) reached out to their Service Center yet? I know the email said they'll be in touch, but I was curious if you'd heard anything. Our X isn't "off limits" for most things since we have a family of four. Considering yours is sitting unused, I suggest reminding your Service Center that it's not a minor inconvenience for you. People with your (or your wife's) needs should be prioritized above others.

Agreed. Have you (or has anyone else in this thread) reached out to their Service Center yet? I know the email said they'll be in touch, but I was curious if you'd heard anything. Our X isn't "off limits" for most things since we have a family of four. Considering yours is sitting unused, I suggest reminding your Service Center that it's not a minor inconvenience for you. People with your (or your wife's) needs should be prioritized above others.

Yes, I've reached out a number of times. They're always very polite and appologetic and they never have anything new to tell me. The did offer to rent us a three row vehicle for the duration if needs be. I explained that it's not that we have no way of getting the kids moved from place to place but that we should be able to do so in our Model X! Anyway, I'm going to continue to check in periodically, it may not make any difference but it's worth a shot.

Even as a German reservation holder, I got an email yesterday. Basically it describes the situation and confirms that my Model X will not be affected, whether already configured or not.

Kind of a wink to go ahead and configure the Model X.

Here is the original email text if anyone is interested.

"
Model X wurde als sicherstes SUV im Straßenverkehr konzipiert. Neben dem sicherheitsbewussten Design testen und aktualisieren wir das Model X kontinuierlich, um es noch besser zu machen. Von Tesla intern durchgeführte Crashtests haben gezeigt, dass das Model X das erste SUV sein wird, welches die höchste Sicherheitsklasse in jeder Kategorie des amerikanischen NHTSA Tests erreicht. Und wir setzen uns dafür ein, dass es das sicherste SUV der Welt bleibt.

Während einer internen Sitzfestigkeitsprüfung, die vor Auslieferungsbeginn des Model X in Europa durchgeführt wurde, ist der Drehbeschlag eines Sitzes in der dritten Sitzreihe des Model X unerwartet durchgerutscht.

Obwohl dieses Problem bei den bis jetzt ausgelieferten Fahrzeugen kein einziges Mal aufgetreten ist, haben wir beschlossen, die Sitzrücken der dritten Reihe in jedem Model X freiwillig zu ersetzen. Und seit dem 26. März 2016 ist eine verbesserte Drehbeschlagkonstruktion Teil unseres Produktionsprozesses.

Egal, ob Sie Ihr Model X in Kürze konfigurieren oder auf die Auslieferung Ihres Fahrzeuges warten; Ihr Model X wird von diesem Problem nicht betroffen sein. Es wird mit aktualisierten Sitzrücken und verbessertem Drehbeschlag gebaut.

Wir wissen, dass Sie das Model X lieben werden.

Wenn Sie Fragen haben, kontaktieren Sie uns bitte telefonisch unter +49 89 550520217 oder per E-Mail: [email protected].

Danke, im Namen der gesamten Tesla Familie.
"

I still think if they are holding back deliveries of the 6-7 seat versions they should focus their short term energy on both acquiring the fix for the 3rd seat, and while the 6-7 seat cars are sitting in Fremont purgatory, build the 5 seaters until the cows come home.....unless they have not yet engineered or produced the needed floor covering for the missing 3rd row. Arghhh

and while the 6-7 seat cars are sitting in Fremont purgatory, build the 5 seaters until the cows come home

If you try to configure the X with 5 seats, it says that availability is mid 2016 (vs. May for the other configurations)

So maybe the cows don't know how to get home.

I am not sure if that is "mid 2016, Pacific Standard Time" or "mid 2016, Tesla Standard Time"