Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Collision TESLA P85. Repair and Troubleshooting Help Needed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Yauheni sent me both the original damaged DC-DC converter and the used one he acquired used to replace it. I took both into the lab and dismantled the bad one which I must say was fully and truly destroyed. Not only were all PCB's physically damaged by collision forces, they were then subsequently water damaged. All the boards were conformal coated, which helped a bit, but it appears it was allowed to soak in dirty water for an extended time and there was extensive corrosion present, and it lifted the conformal coating right off the boards in many places.

The Gen 1 DC-DC converter assembly is manufactured by TDI Power (AC-DC, DC-DC Power Modules, Inverters, Electronic Loads, Rectifiers | Astrodyne TDI) for Tesla. It serves as the DC-DC, the high-voltage junction box, and as the controller for the battery fluid heater. It contains fuses for all the output connectors (40A for the A/C compressor, 40A for the PTC Cabin Heater, 20A for the Battery Heater and 20A for the converter itself.) The fuses are replaceable without soldering. The system is controlled by a dsPIC33FJ64GP microcontroller over CAN and it looks to me like it doesn't have very complex firmware. It receives CAN messages to adjust 12v output and control the output of HV to the battery coolant heater, and probably diagnostics but that's about it. It's a phase-shifted converter using four SPW47N60CFD .083 ohm 600v MOSFETs in a full-bridge topology. The converter is managed by a TI UCC3895 PWM Controller so the PIC doesn't have to even worry about driving the supply. The unit is liquid cooled by way of a channel-drilled aluminum extrusion that all the power dissipating components are affixed to. In my opinion it's very well engineered.

I cleared all the dirt and mud off the bench from the bad unit and examined the used unit. It appeared to have also sustained some collision forces, but there was minimal cosmetic damage only, and nothing to affect the function of the unit. The unit has 3 signals other than power, and all are contained in a 6 pin sealed Molex connector: Pins 1 & 2; Red & Dark Blue: CAN bus. Pin 4 is Red with Black: Enable line. Pins 5 & 6; Yellow with Dark Blue & Yellow with Dark Gray: High Voltage interlock loop. The Interlock loop just provides closure when all connectors and covers are in place so that the HV system knows it's safe to begin precharge.

After some basic sanity checks, I provided 360VDC from a Lab supply and observed a small initial inrush draw that quickly tapered off, which was likely the filter capacitors charging up. The Enable line is all that's needed to fire up the converter, but it will not start unless 12V is already present on the large red output stud. Once the 12V is present, Providing 5-12v on the enable line will start up the converter and it will provide a fixed 13.6VDC with no signalling required from the CAN bus. I was able to load it up to about 500W until I ran out of load capacity. It was rock-solid, maybe only falling a handful of millivolts under that load. After a hot soak, I ran a isolation test to verify the HV isolation integrity. Everything seemed fine, so it's now back on it's way to Arizona. If it doesn't work in Yauheni's car, then there's a problem still in the car.

Yauheni, please take some pictures of the 6 pin connector you repaired so we can have a look before you plug it in.

Reactions: GeorgeCM
So Yauheni sent me both the original damaged DC-DC converter and the used one he acquired used to replace it.

I love this thread so much! Thank you Yauheni, Ingineer and everyone else who has contributed. It's really great to see all the progress that's been made thus far with Tesla being pretty reluctant to provide technical assistance or release service manuals. I've been following this thread since the beginning and look forward to seeing Yauheni's car running reliably.

I love this thread so much! Thank you Yauheni, Ingineer and everyone else who has contributed. It's really great to see all the progress that's been made thus far with Tesla being pretty reluctant to provide technical assistance or release service manuals. I've been following this thread since the beginning and look forward to seeing Yauheni's car running reliably.

+1. The help from the community has been especially impressive.

Sure, I will take some pictures, the only thing its already in heat shrink, but i think i will open it up and take some pictures. I cant to check continuity from where the wire was cut to the pins themselves to make sure they are all good.

The reason I'd like to see that connector is we need to ascertain that the enable line (and everything else) is wired correctly. It would also be nice to verify that your 12v system is wired correctly though. Assuming the 12v battery is still disconnected, take a meter set on ohms and read the resistance between the positive battery terminal wire and the heavy cable that connects to the big red terminal on the DC-DC. Then read between the negative battery cable and the heavy cable that connects to the large ground terminal on the DC-DC. We should have low resistance in each case. This of course assumes you have put the fuse block all back together with the 225A fuse installed.

jaguar36: it is part of the sames coolant circuit, you have only one coolant tank and i see that it all connected together.

Ingineer: I will def check the resistance and tell you what it shows. I put fully charged battery back on its place, connected to the fuse box, and only Negative terminal is off right now.

Yes, I've got pictures of everything. What do you want to see?

The DC-DC coolant circuit is in parallel with the battery, meaning that some of the glycol bypasses the pack and goes through the DC-DC instead before returning to the reservoir. The coolant system is rather complex and has a radiator, a series of changeover valves and pumps along with a glycol to A/C refrigerant heat exchanger as well as an electric resistance heater. It can cool the pack with ambient air (radiator), or in more extreme situations with the A/C compressor. It can also heat the pack with waste heat from the motor and inverter and in extreme conditions the electric resistance heater. Tesla even added motorized louvers for both the radiator and the 2 A/C condensers so that the aerodynamic penalty is lessened when they are not needed.

The only thing I would have done differently is include the extra plumbing and reversing valve to allow the A/C system to become a heat pump to make the heating operations, especially in mild climates, more efficient.

• Informative
Reactions: GeorgeCM
While waiting on receiving my dcdc inverter I decided to check the connection between battery terminals to dcdc. The resistance is very low on both positive and negative wires, means good connection.

12V battery shows 12.85V.

Wire that goes to dcdc signal is good. Just checked the pin 4 to the spot where it cut and it shows continuity. Dont know what else to check before dcdc arrives.

e6732b6b78421c04beade192c4e738a2.jpg

23a70bbea7b7a552d26adbdfbb6020e1.jpg

Update: just installed the dcdc that i got back from Ingineer. Once it was installed, I checked the voltage, it was 12.85V on the Positive connector of DcDc Converter.
Good connection on positive and negative terminals going from battery to the DcDc.
Once Negative terminal was connected to the battery, voltage dropped to about 12.5V. I heard battery packs contacts engaged after a few seconds. When I opened the car, i was unable to start it. Same story. Voltage on DcDc positive to negative connectors 12.35V
I checked voltage on WIRE GOING TO PIN #4, It showed 11.05V. Opened a car once again, unable to drive. Checked voltage on pin 4 again- 11.19V

Thats about it. Disconnected battery negative terminal to prevent 12V battery discharge.

Ideally it would be nice to monitor the voltage and current of the 12v battery with a clamp-on current probe around the negative cable when you first connect it. That big drop from 12.85 (fully charged) down to 12.5 indicates either a really large current load or a weak battery. The battery getting pulled even lower down to 11 is another clue, so you need to determine if there is a huge current load doing it, or a bad battery.

When you used jumper cables the car would start and drive, right? That indicates to me that you have a weak or damaged/defective 12v battery that lays down under load. The car can sense that and shuts down to protect the main pack.

The dcdc is controlled by the CAN bus. If it doesn't report the correct serial number back to the car then it won't be turned on. Nobody but TM has the tool to re-program the controller to work with your converter.

As soon as I connect the battery, coolant pumps starting to work, i think they need some power, maybe this is causing the voltage drop. Also, I checked on 3 batteries, and its same story, so I assume that my battery is good. BTW its Brand New Red Tesla Battery.

- - - Updated - - -

Is it possible that the 2 orange wires that go from battery pack to the DC-DC not supplying any voltage at all??? I cant really check if it is. Or how do I do it???

The right thing to do now is to call tesla and have them do the last work. They have the proper diagnostic tools and can reprogram the car. I would call them and arrange a pickup.
To me, the interesting aspect of this exercise is see how much of the work can be done by yourself without Tesla/shop help.

I say Yauheni (btw, is that Eugene in some European language?) keep chugging along, and Ingineer and everyone else who is helping out - thank you!

This is not good news. On the bench the DC-DC fired up with just the high voltage and pin 4 supplied with voltage. We have to figure out what's going on that is preventing this from happening. Have you verified that the HV connection is good and that there is HV coming to the DC-DC? To test this you should remove the metal cover over the HV connections and then unplug the connector and short pin 5 & 6 going to the car harness so it is happy with the HV interlock. Put your charger or jumper cables on the battery so the car will stay on, then fire it up. Then CAREFULLY measure the 2 terminals on the HV. This is 400v, so use extreme caution! Make sure your meter can measure 400VDC safely. If you don't get HV, we'll have to figure out why.

If you do have HV, then let's try disconnecting the 2 CAN bus wires on pins 1 and 2 and just leaving pin 4 and the two interlock wires on 5 & 6.

- - - Updated - - -

The right thing to do now is to call tesla and have them do the last work. They have the proper diagnostic tools and can reprogram the car. I would call them and arrange a pickup.

Tesla isn't going to touch it unless you take it to a Tesla-approved body shop first and have them replace anything on the car subjected to crash forces. This car has already been there and the insurance company totalled it, which is why it was sold at auction for "scrap". These "Tesla approved" body shops are essentially a monopoly as they have no competition in their areas, and they can charge whatever they feel like. Haven't you seen some of the silly bills they are charging for minor accidents? It is really stupid on Tesla's part to allow this, as this is going to make the cars difficult to insure in the long run.

Tesla service will not touch the car until all the mechanical repairs have been completed by the body shop. They have stated this emphatically on many occasions. At first they were selling parts to DIY'ers, not they only sell parts to these approved body shops. This is really stupid.

Yeah I think Tesla wont even deal with me, so I dont even look for this option. Im from Europe, Eugene is my name in English.
Yesterday I put bumper and lights and all the other stuff from the front, so the car look complete now, except that it doesnt want to charge the battery so I cant drive it.
After I come back from Cali trip, I will definitely do the test that INGINEER described above. BTW, Thank you all your help/advice and for moral support :)
Wish you all a good holiday week!!!

Is this actually a change? I thought there policy on salvage cars was always "Give us a pile of money and we may let you use your car again... or we may brick it completely and prevent it from ever working again."

I don't think he agreed to give them a pile of money. $1250 to get to know if your $60k car is ready to go, while not cheap, will get you much closer to getting it running.