Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frunk easy close spring mod

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which Home Depot spring exactly did you use? The 16089? Short or long?
Short one.
IMG_20190519_181154.jpg

My car is over a year old. Struts might be getting weak? How far do you need to lift your frunk before it swings open? Mine takes about 24"!

Last edited:
I got the one from Amazon (Prime-Line SP 9609 spring) and it works well so far. Not as easy to close as the weaker spring but good enough to close with one hand. The main thing is that it opens with the stock struts as intended. Thanks guys!

This morning I use the touchscreen to open the frunk and when I got to the frunk, it didn't look open. It tried it again a few times and it just made a clicking noise. However, when I pushed the frunk back in and opened the frunk with my phone it did pop up. Maybe the HD spring is barely strong enough to pop open the frunk. I'll keep an eye on it and report back.

This morning I use the touchscreen to open the frunk and when I got to the frunk, it didn't look open. It tried it again a few times and it just made a clicking noise. However, when I pushed the frunk back in and opened the frunk with my phone it did pop up. Maybe the HD spring is barely strong enough to pop open the frunk. I'll keep an eye on it and report back.

I’ve noticed the same thing. If I haven’t opened the frunk in a while, it barely pops up with my 2-spring setup. But immediately afterwards, it’ll open up more. So it seems that something in the mechanism “seizes” up after time requiring more force to open, which the stock spring overcomes.

I've been using the frunk more often the past few days with the new spring mod and haven't encounter any opening issues for the HD spring. I'll continue using it for this week and report back as well. Thanks for your update tho! I'll keep an eye on opening size and any odd noises.

I hope they aren't laughing when they read about owners denting their aluminum hoods or being too afraid of doing so when closing the frunk that they just avoided using it entirely.

The latter was me before I swapped the spring out. :(

just picked up my 3 from miramar service san diego,
seems there's some service bulletin regarding the frunk latch...

I previously installed the self opening struts, and had not
done the spring mod discussed here.

after the service bulletin, the pressure required to latch the frunk
(last inch of movement to close & latch) has almost doubled?!?
when I mentioned this, no one in the service dept would own what
ever it is they had done... somehow they related the self opening
struts with additional force required to latch the frunk...
making the frunk all that MORE user unfriendly!!!

this after deflating my tire pressure (after being told not to adjust)
and draining the wiper fluid for a cracked windshield replacement?
look, I get you might want to drain the fluid to replace the windshield,
how about replacing the fluid afterwards? wish I'd have thought to
cycle the wipers before leaving service dept!

I somehow wish the service dept would NOT wander into areas
that don't need attention, seems service bulletin didn't include
assessing if frunk latch was operating properly?

I would WARN those visiting their service depts to NOT adjust
the frunk latch per service bulletin until AFTER assessing if the
latch is functioning properly, or suffer the inattention this service.

I keep hoping that tesla will differentiate themselves from the
usual poor service and inattention to detail in the auto industry.
sadly the new boss is same as the old boss!

Engineering notes:

I did some more testing and the primary and secondary latches release together when the car is not moving. It does not matter if you release it from the screen, phone app, or the inside release. I extended the release button so I could operate outside when the lid was closed. If the car is moving even a walking speed the screen and phone app are disabled only the inside trunk release will work but once moving it will only activate the primary latch. The secondary latch is NOT activated so the frunk will NOT open all the way, it will only release This has NOTHING to do with the spring strength.

I tested 3 springs;
The spring is pulled 3" when the lid is closed.

A – original - .083 wire, .572 OD – 3” pull = 35 pounds

B – similar to what OP used - .034 wire, .375 OD – 3” pull = 4.5 pounds

C – my preference - .056 wire, .375 OD – 3” pull = 19 pounds

I am testing with original struts, stronger struts will change the results. The “B” spring lets the lid rattle, does not provide enough up pressure when latched.

The “C” spring reduces the rattle to almost the same level as the “A” original spring but still opens quiet and closes easily. If you do not have the stronger struts a spring in the 20 pound range would be the best option.

This is the 19 pound spring I used from Home Depot. It worked well with original struts. The original spring is at the top of the attached photo:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-5-8-in-x-2-1-2-in-and-5-8-in-x-3-1-4-in-Zinc-Plated-Extension-Spring-4-pack-16089/202045478

Attachments

• 2019-05-21 21.53.01.jpg
    2019-05-21 21.53.01.jpg
    501.6 KB · Views: 155
The HD spring with the stock struts worked on my car at first, but then this evening after not opening the frunk for a few days, it wouldn't open enough to get my fingers under the edge, even after I pushed the frunk in and popped the open button a few times. Finally had to use a couple of pry tools to open it. I put the stock spring back in.