Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frustrated with multiple keyfobs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Tesla Model S (2018).
I have keyfob 1, my wife has keyfob 2.
The keyfobs are linked to our driver profiles.

We both carry our keyfob at all times.

I get so frustrated when I take the wife out to dinner; she sits in the passenger seat first (I hold the door for her) and then I'm unable to get into the driver seat as the seat has moved forward too far to her position.

Surely, there's a way for the car to know which side of the car her keyfob is on, so when she gets in the passenger side it does not mess up my driver settings.

We went out at the weekend, and I had a dozen stops. The wife stayed in the car for half of them. EVERY time I got back in the car, it was her driving profile.

At one point, I took her key and put it in the Frunk. Still no luck.

And don't even get me started on her phone auto-connecting to the MCU.

It sounds like your Tesla prefers that she do the driving. :D

I suspect that it is a limitation of the sensors in the S&X, that they don't have enough to detect the location so it just uses the first fob contacted to set the profile.

Assuming she doesn't drive it much, one solution would be to get an RFID blocker pouch for her fob, then when she needs to drive the car she just has to remove it from the pouch.

• Funny
Reactions: 1375mlm
Was going to recommend the pouch, we use one in the house where the kitchen is too close to the garage.

Yeah, there is no easy (any?) way for the car to know where each fob is to tell who is in the driver’s seat. One of the penalties for not having to put a ‘key’ in anything is no way to know which is the current driver. With the small distances involved between a right side pants pocket and a purse (for example) on the console or back floor, I can’t see how it would be sure which is ‘active’. Either click on the profile you want to use or use a RFID pouch for the non-main driver.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Yeah, there is no easy (any?) way for the car to know where each fob is to tell who is in the driver’s seat.

I think the Model 3, and maybe MCU2 S&X cars might be able to do this in the future, as there are multiple sensors and it can use the signal strength from each to determine which is headed to the drivers door. But Tesla hasn't implemented automatic profiles on the Model 3 yet.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
FWIW, I also run into this issue regularly when we both have our keys on us. She is usually in the passenger seat first. I use easy entry, so fortunately I can usually hit stop in time and select my profile before the car jams me into the steering wheel...

• Funny
I have a Tesla Model S (2018).
I have keyfob 1, my wife has keyfob 2.
The keyfobs are linked to our driver profiles.

We both carry our keyfob at all times.

I get so frustrated when I take the wife out to dinner; she sits in the passenger seat first (I hold the door for her) and then I'm unable to get into the driver seat as the seat has moved forward too far to her position.

Surely, there's a way for the car to know which side of the car her keyfob is on, so when she gets in the passenger side it does not mess up my driver settings.

We went out at the weekend, and I had a dozen stops. The wife stayed in the car for half of them. EVERY time I got back in the car, it was her driving profile.

At one point, I took her key and put it in the Frunk. Still no luck.

And don't even get me started on her phone auto-connecting to the MCU.

Sounds like your Tesla has identified as heterosexual, and really likes your wife, what's your cars name?

• Funny
Reactions: darxsys and Nick B
Have you tried getting in the car first and then have her run and jump in the car while you are pulling out of the driveway? :rolleyes:
I have this issue as well and sure would like to have a simpler problem. She doesn't want to use anything to put the fob inside of.

I think I saw a cool scene once where a person was swept into a car that was drifting and had the door opened at the right time. That would be pretty awesome, and get to keep the right memory setting.

I’m 6’ 5” and my wife is 5’ 2” so I feel your pain.

Our solution was to unlink one of the fobs from a profile (hers). I drive 80% of the time, so the 20% of the time that she does she has to move her arm to the touchsceeen and manually select her profile like a peasant.

I literally can’t enter the car when the seat is in her driving position. On the other hand she can happily climb in and reach the MCU when it’s in mine, so that’s that.

Simple trick: while approaching the car (before it auto-opens with easy entry) quickly open it from a distance with your keyfob (a rapid double squeeze on the front pocket should do it) and the car will know that it's you and not your wife taking control.

If you leave your wife in the car, leave also your keyfob, so the car will think that you are still in and will not change the seat settings when you get back in.

• Informative
Maybe I'm not understanding the issue since my wife does not carry the other Tesla key, but doesn't the Easy Entry profile solve this? I have my Easy Entry profile setup with the seat all the way back and up, and the steering wheel all the way in and up. My driver profile isn't activated until I'm seated and hit the brake pedal. I'd have plenty of time to choose the correct profile before being crushed.

Our solution... no key is linked to a profile. Her profile has easy entry enabled. I am 5'10", she is 5'1".

The easy entry position is close to my profile position.

If she was the last driver I can get in the car and then select my profile.

If I was the last driver, she can get in and select her profile.

If either of us were the last driver and are the current driver, no one has to select a profile.