Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From what I know, FSD Development is below Andrej at this point and he’s focusing on higher level AI.

He’s leaving to brush up on all the technical advances that he couldn’t study while busy with Tesla deliverables and obviously I’m sure he could use some time off to recharge and be ready to innovate.

This seems like a good thing to me.
good thing, as long as he doesn't end up at NIO or Lucid! 😬

Nobody from 2022.4.5.18 is being moved to FSD Beta. They are all being moved from 2022.4.5.17. I think this is ANOTHER example of false hope from Tesla. It’s getting so frustrating and the silence from Elon and Tesla overall is BS.

Had an interesting discussion on a tweet where someone noted he thought the legacy S and X are now being excluded because we don’t have driver cameras. The early legacy S and X that got in FSD Beta will be the last until some future time when an ”another upgrade” is available. That would be an epic disaster and it’s just such garbage.

Nobody from 2022.4.5.18 is being moved to FSD Beta. They are all being moved from 2022.4.5.17. I think this is ANOTHER example of false hope from Tesla. It’s getting so frustrating and the silence from Elon and Tesla overall is BS.

Had an interesting discussion on a tweet where someone noted he thought the legacy S and X are now being excluded because we don’t have driver cameras. The early legacy S and X that got in FSD Beta will be the last until some future time when an ”another upgrade” is available. That would be an epic disaster and it’s just such garbage.

Most are being moved from 4.5.4 and they are in Canada.

Personally I've lost hope that I will ever see FSD beta. Not sure my car will last another 20 years, which is our current pace. Most likely my first and last Tesla ever. Obviously not even a camera invite yet for me.

Having said that, I'd love to have red light automatic stop/go tech added to AP - as an appeasement if nothing else. Beta FSD can't do turns anyway so you don't lose much. But Tesla has long made clear they have absolutely no interest in customer feedback, nor repeat customers. There's not even someone to suggest it to.

I'm hoping someone in the competition steps up - while obviously it's a hard thing, it's also a gold mine for someone who can produce such a product without alienating their customers. I'm quite sure Tesla will not be first to provide consumer grade FSD.

FSDBeta is a testing program of software not in general release.

Nobody "deserves" it. Nobody paid for it.

It goes to whomever Tesla believes will best help provide the data and feedback needed to improve the software enough to eventually do a general public release to everyone.
Then they could at least remove the "opt in" option instead of giving false hope and total lack of communication.
Or perhaps freeze the safety score...

Then they could at least remove the "opt in" option instead of giving false hope and total lack of communication.
It is called FSD Beta “EARLY ACCESS”

Those that have paid for FSD and have all upgrades should receive the software update. Especially since the purchase price of a MS is more than double of a M3. Early adopters paid and deserve the early access.

How do we get someone to ask “When will cars with camera upgrades receive the FSD download?”. Of course we need a bigger name to ask the question that Elon replies to consistently.
3E65E050-6ECE-4D5E-ABAF-04CA91E862CA.png

Last edited:
FSDBeta is a testing program of software not in general release.

Nobody "deserves" it. Nobody paid for it.

It goes to whomever Tesla believes will best help provide the data and feedback needed to improve the software enough to eventually do a general public release to everyone.

You are wrong. We do deserve it and we paid for it.

It's not possible to receive FSDbeta without paying for FSD, so saying nobody "paid" for it doesn't make any sense.

Do you really think Tesla gives it to those who give the best feedback? There are people who get it who don't understand how the nags work, to those that subscribe to FSD just to check it out, etc. You are saying Tesla thinks those people are somehow going to provide better data than those who have been driving these cars for years and clicked the "button" the day it came out almost a year ago?

You are opting into being considered as a tester, not opting in to "FOR SURE BEING PICKED AS ONE"

Pressing the button specifically tells you it's you asking to be considered for admission to the testing program, not a guarantee you will be given the beta.

The false hope here is primarily from folks who misunderstand what "the button" even is.

Now, could they do a better job communicating how/when/by what criteria/in what amounts they wish to add testers? 1000% yes.

Tesla is horrendously bad at communicating with its customers- on just about any issue, it's hardly unique to this one.

But nobody's "deserves" it-- it's not a prize, and it's not the finished product anybody paid for.

It's a tool Tesla is using to develop an as-yet-not-ready-for-wide-release product.

You are wrong. We do deserve it and we paid for it.

No, you don't.

And no, you didn't.

It's not possible to receive FSDbeta without paying for FSD, so saying nobody "paid" for it doesn't make any sense.

It's not possible to receive it without owning a Tesla either.

But owning a Tesla, by itself, also does not entitle you to FSDbeta.

It's also not possible to receive if if you don't live in North America.

But simply living in North America does not entitle you to FSD beta.

You are confusing "requirement" with "guarantee"

So I agree someone isn't making sense, but you'll wanna check the mirror to find out who :)

nothing "entitles" you to it, because it's not a commercial product. It's not for sale.

It's a testing and development tool to which a very limited group of people may be granted access to help development and testing (and that access may also be revoked at any time).

Did you even read what comes up when you press the button?

It's quite clear on these points, even if you aren't.

Do you really think Tesla gives it to those who give the best feedback? There are people who get it who don't understand how the nags work

You don't think knowing how the system handles operators who can't be bothered to read the manual is important?

Because that could speak directly to the type and degree of driver monitoring and nags they will need in the finished product to insure safety since at least SOME part of the general public will be in that category (probably a lot of them)

, to those that subscribe to FSD just to check it out, etc. You are saying Tesla thinks those people are somehow going to provide better data than those who have been driving these cars for years and clicked the "button" the day it came out almost a year ago?

Obviously yes.

There's a ton of factors that could provide useful feedback to them. Many of which (heck, NEARLY ALL OF WHICH) have nothing to do with how many years you've been driving your car, or what day you pressed the button.

Your sig says you're in the greater Bay area of CA.... they already have tons of testers in that area

So if a dude in Manitoba gets it before you that makes perfect sense

New data from Manitoba would be hugely helpful. Yet ANOTHER guy in California? Not so much.

Moreover- the alternative answer is "Tesla is ignoring what actual data they need gathering and just being specifically mean to you"

I get that's the answer you've picked.

I don't get why you think it makes any sense.

It is called FSD Beta “EARLY ACCESS” Those that have paid for FSD and have all upgrades should receive the software update

It says "early limited access beta"

Giving it to everyone who paid for the public release version of FSD would be the opposite of a limited early beta.

Last edited:
You are opting into being considered as a tester, not opting in to "FOR SURE BEING PICKED AS ONE"

Pressing the button specifically tells you it's you asking to be considered for admission to the testing program, not a guarantee you will be given the beta.

The false hope here is primarily from folks who misunderstand what "the button" even is.

Now, could they do a better job communicating how/when/by what criteria/in what amounts they wish to add testers? 1000% yes.

Tesla is horrendously bad at communicating with its customers- on just about any issue, it's hardly unique to this one.

But nobody's "deserves" it-- it's not a prize, and it's not the finished product anybody paid for.

It's a tool Tesla is using to develop an as-yet-not-ready-for-wide-release product.

No, you don't.

And no, you didn't.

It's not possible to receive it without owning a Tesla either.

But owning a Tesla, by itself, also does not entitle you to FSDbeta.

It's also not possible to receive if if you don't live in North America.

But simply living in North America does not entitle you to FSD beta.

You are confusing "requirement" with "guarantee"

So I agree someone isn't making sense, but you'll wanna check the mirror to find out who :)

nothing "entitles" you to it, because it's not a commercial product. It's not for sale.

It's a testing and development tool to which a very limited group of people may be granted access to help development and testing (and that access may also be revoked at any time).

Did you even read what comes up when you press the button?

It's quite clear on these points, even if you aren't.

You don't think knowing how the system handles operators who can't be bothered to read the manual is important?

Because that could speak directly to the type and degree of driver monitoring and nags they will need in the finished product to insure safety since at least SOME part of the general public will be in that category (probably a lot of them)

Obviously yes.

There's a ton of factors that could provide useful feedback to them. Many of which (heck, NEARLY ALL OF WHICH) have nothing to do with how many years you've been driving your car, or what day you pressed the button.

Your sig says you're in the greater Bay area of CA.... they already have tons of testers in that area

So if a dude in Manitoba gets it before you that makes perfect sense

New data from Manitoba would be hugely helpful. Yet ANOTHER guy in California? Not so much.

Moreover- the alternative answer is "Tesla is ignoring what actual data they need gathering and just being specifically mean to you"

I get that's the answer you've picked.

I don't get why you think it makes any sense.

Basically what you're saying is that Tesla doesn't care about adding the legacy car testers since it doesn't help the company in any way, even though it won't hurt them either.

They just don't care about us. So I can agree with you there.

However, we are still being screwed, regardless of whether it's carelessness, lack of communication, or simply incompetence on the part of Tesla.

Basically what you're saying is that Tesla doesn't care about adding the legacy car testers since it doesn't help the company in any way, even though it won't hurt them either.

Except, it will hurt them.

When you get the beta you get a button to send snapshots of issues back to the development team. And an email address to send detailed reports to.

Tesla has to sort through those for useful feedback.

Adding 100k "legacy" owners in areas they already are getting enough feedback does nothing except make the signal to noise ratio worse on the feedback, and greatly add to the workload of the development team having to sort through that feedback.

If adding people didn't hurt anything they'd just add everybody.

I get you are angry- but you keep letting that get in the way of first principles thinking about how and why they're doing this.

As I said a few posts ago they're incredibly bad at communicating this-- but they are limiting who gets in- and with generally good reasons for doing so--- and it doesn't take a lot of effort to realize why they're for example not inviting tons more people in CA rather than adding new people in new areas for example.... and if you're unable to think of reasons why other than they personally dislike you there may be other issues going on.

(it doesn't help that CA is heavily over-represented among early buyers either)

Except, it will hurt them.

When you get the beta you get a button to send snapshots of issues back to the development team. And an email address to send detailed reports to.

Tesla has to sort through those for useful feedback.

Adding 100k "legacy" owners in areas they already are getting enough feedback does nothing except make the signal to noise ratio worse on the feedback, and greatly add to the workload of the development team having to sort through that feedback.

If adding people didn't hurt anything they'd just add everybody.

I get you are angry- but you keep letting that get in the way of first principles thinking about how and why they're doing this.

As I said a few posts ago they're incredibly bad at communicating this-- but they are limiting who gets in- and with generally good reasons for doing so--- and it doesn't take a lot of effort to realize why they're for example not inviting tons more people in CA rather than adding new people in new areas for example.... and if you're unable to think of reasons why other than they personally dislike you there may be other issues going on.

(it doesn't help that CA is heavily over-represented among early buyers either)

Wrong again.

If they didn't want feedback from us they could just send it to a different bucket and not take it into account. It really isn't that hard.

We deserve FSD Beta.

Wrong again.

Except, I'm not.

You keep telling me I'm wrong, then explaining in a way that doesn't disprove what I wrote and makes no sense.

If they didn't want feedback from us they could just send it to a different bucket and not take it into account. It really isn't that hard.

This makes even less sense.

Now they'd need to have a special branch of software that removes all the feedback mechanisms (the manual button I cite is only one of them-- the code has a bunch of automatic triggers that ALSO sends what would become needless noisy feedback getting in the way of useful feedback).

So they'd need to devote programming resources to developing that version, and updating it along with the "sends feedback" branch... resources that could instead go toward improving the system and getting us to public release sooner.

Not to mention- they'd now be greatly increasing the risk of a bad tester having an accident with unfinished software for no benefit whatsoever to the development program

Your idea is actively worse for Tesla and the current situation.

Again you're letting I AM SO MAD get in the way of critical thinking.

We deserve FSD Beta.

Case in point.

This is 100% nonsense.

You "deserve" what you paid for.

Which is not "access to a limited invite early beta of unfinished software"

It's the wide release FSD product.

Which FSD buyers today already have

The city streets feature is coming later and nobody "deserves" it until it's in wide/public release.[/QUOTE]

• Disagree
Reactions: hybridbear
At the end of the day, we meet the requirements for getting FSD Beta.

I met the requirements for being an astronaut at one point- but I still didn't get to go to space.

On some level I suppose I'm still mad about it, but I also understand there's a reason they don't let EVERYONE who qualifies to go go.

(though I suppose commercial space companies and my returns on TSLA might change that some day)

We paid for the software on our cars

You paid for the public wide release features.

This is not that.

, we got the scores, we got the upgrades.
It's frustrating meeting the requirements and still not getting access to the software.
I think this is where most of our anger is coming from.

Again I think tesla being terrible at communication is the actual problem here.

it was always obvious to anybody who understands how early development/testing works that this was never going out to "all" let alone "most" of the people who technically could get it.

As I explain, it'd be actively bad on many levels for Tesla to do something like that.

But they've been garbage at explaining that to anyone who doesn't have the technical background to already know why that's so.

By all means be mad about that- there's plenty of communication things I get mad at Tesla about, it's one of their towering deficiencies as a company.

BTW, to reinforce the fact Teslas interests lie in adding testers in new situations, not adding a ton more in California where they've already got an overweight amount of data-

Here again I expect you will see only a small % of those who "qualify" actually receive access--- because again signal/noise ratio.

On the other hand, since the overall FSD take rate is far lower overseas, it should still end up being a larger % of "possible" candidates who get in, because there's just a vastly smaller # of them to start with.

If they have enough testers then I’m fine with that.

I’m not fine with the lack of communication about it and continuing to participate in this asinine safety score program with nothing to show for it.

But if they were truly done and didn’t need more, this tweet below from 2 weeks ago makes little sense to say.