Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD’s Earliest Adopters Still Waiting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a friendly reminder that all cars from late 2016+ come with the required hardware for Full-Self driving...
1667002981907.png

Circa 2016

(moderator note - I assume this is sarcasm than not everyone would recognize it as such. As previously mentioned, for hardware you need camera version 2.5 and FSD computer version 3.)

Last edited by a moderator:
So i just got the email that my 2017 Model S P100D (still on 2022.20.9 after service, it wasn't upgraded - also with upgraded MMC, HW3 and ECU) was eligible for the free camera upgrade. I booked it into service using the steps provided in the email on the Tesla App. It glitched and instead of booking a camera upgrade, it booked in for a tire and tire pressure check. Tech asked for clarity, and we manually resolved it in the app with the correct service item - to replace the cameras.

Three days later, camera upgrade is done. Tech tells me it was his first vehicle and he indicated that there was an $800 charge to upgrade cameras. I sent him the original email saying it was complimentary. He calls back next day and says yes it's free. I asked him to confirm that the camera's had the new 5 mega pixel capability for FSD 4.0 hardware. He said that he wasn't sure, but the main difference with these new cameras was actually a lens color difference and that was that part was more important... (hmmm)

Anyhow picking up the car, and had FSD recalibrate on the way home. The app still shows that I'm intelligible for FSD due to needing a camera upgrade. Maybe it will clear out in a day or so. Anyone with experience on how long it takes? I've been in the beta program for a few months now. Reason why I'm posting -- I'm not clear if I got these parts removed, or if these are the replacement parts -- here's what was on my free invoice -

Concern: Camera Replacement(s) for Vehicles Configured with Full Self-Driving Capability
Confirmed Camera types - replacement required. Completed replacement, firmware passed successfully.
Calibration on cameras will be completed with customer - may take a longer drive.

Correction: Determine Installed Camera Types Through Garage; Camera(s) Replacement Required
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
LAMP ASY, SIDE 1.00 REPEATER CAMERA, RIGHT HAND(1642011-.00-A)
INLINE TRIPLE CAM, 1.00 S/X/3(1089531-00-C)
B-PILLAR CAMERA, 1.00 RIGHT(1069104-SR-D)
B-PILLAR CAMERA, 1.00 LEFT(1069104-SL-D)
LAMP ASY, SIDE 1.00 REPEATER CAMERA, LEFT HAND(1034344-00-B)

1667005150999.png

Last edited:
Compare to XLSX in post #1. I think both the inline and left repeater cams are wrong. Sorry.
Agreed -- looking at dashcam footage before and after the upgrade -- the quality all looks the same. Rear camera nice and bright, all the other ones lack color depth. Doh -- I'm asking them to confirm part numbers - I was hoping those were the parts being removed, not the parts they were putting in.

Agreed -- looking at dashcam footage before and after the upgrade -- the quality all looks the same. Rear camera nice and bright, all the other ones lack color depth. Doh -- I'm asking them to confirm part numbers - I was hoping those were the parts being removed, not the parts they were putting in.
Keep in mind that you can't see all 3 front cameras nor the B pillar cameras via the dashcam.

I'm on 2022.40.1 a ways past the fork that the FSDBeta software is on as far as I understand it. Meaning even with 'new' cameras and a good FSDBeta score wouldn't I have to wait for a catchup (or perhaps it is a complete install even if going backward - some lost features in 40.1 that are not in FSDBeta).

Is there any advantage to waiting to get the camera upgrade?
  1. Possibility of mobile techs getting more experience in doing camera replacements
  2. Tesla having better procedures to make sure the correct cameras are installed (ie. you can't verify the B-pillar cameras yourself)
  3. Possibility of getting the latest cameras shipped in current newly built cars

... I asked him to confirm that the camera's had the new 5 mega pixel capability for FSD 4.0 hardware. He said that he wasn't sure, but the main difference with these new cameras was actually a lens color difference and that was that part was more important... (hmmm) ...

That is so cruel.
I asked if people are waiting for a few reasons (1,2,3 above) but everyone seems gung-ho and not waiting as far as I can tell ... at least I got not responses. :rolleyes:

So i just got the email that my 2017 Model S P100D (still on 2022.20.9 after service, it wasn't upgraded - also with upgraded MMC, HW3 and ECU) was eligible for the free camera upgrade. I booked it into service using the steps provided in the email on the Tesla App. It glitched and instead of booking a camera upgrade, it booked in for a tire and tire pressure check. Tech asked for clarity, and we manually resolved it in the app with the correct service item - to replace the cameras.

Three days later, camera upgrade is done. Tech tells me it was his first vehicle and he indicated that there was an $800 charge to upgrade cameras. I sent him the original email saying it was complimentary. He calls back next day and says yes it's free. I asked him to confirm that the camera's had the new 5 mega pixel capability for FSD 4.0 hardware. He said that he wasn't sure, but the main difference with these new cameras was actually a lens color difference and that was that part was more important... (hmmm)

Anyhow picking up the car, and had FSD recalibrate on the way home. The app still shows that I'm intelligible for FSD due to needing a camera upgrade. Maybe it will clear out in a day or so. Anyone with experience on how long it takes? I've been in the beta program for a few months now. Reason why I'm posting -- I'm not clear if I got these parts removed, or if these are the replacement parts -- here's what was on my free invoice -

Concern: Camera Replacement(s) for Vehicles Configured with Full Self-Driving Capability
Confirmed Camera types - replacement required. Completed replacement, firmware passed successfully.
Calibration on cameras will be completed with customer - may take a longer drive.

Correction: Determine Installed Camera Types Through Garage; Camera(s) Replacement Required
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
LAMP ASY, SIDE 1.00 REPEATER CAMERA, RIGHT HAND(1642011-.00-A)
INLINE TRIPLE CAM, 1.00 S/X/3(1089531-00-C)
B-PILLAR CAMERA, 1.00 RIGHT(1069104-SR-D)
B-PILLAR CAMERA, 1.00 LEFT(1069104-SL-D)
LAMP ASY, SIDE 1.00 REPEATER CAMERA, LEFT HAND(1034344-00-B)

View attachment 868628
Wild. Did you get the message about not being eligible prior to the camera upgrade?

Wild. Did you get the message about not being eligible prior to the camera upgrade?
No -- this message occurred after they replaced the cameras.

UPDATE:
Tech indicated that they were going to look into it. The next thing I see is a new service booking for "Additional parts on order from previous service visit"

Tech never replied indicating what he figured out, but I'll take it as a win that it'll sorted when the new parts come in. Thanks all!

Appointment scheduled for Friday to replace cameras canceled without any information. When I do schedule an appointment, I am also only showing check tires and can't get the camera upgrade to show up as the concern.

After waiting another year with this SS *sugar*, I am beyond frustrated. Will NOT buy another Tesla
Bummer. I just scheduled it for next week.
Maybe they didn't have them in stock/available and are ordering them. Obviously, that should have been communicated.
Double checking to make sure you are looking at the right place in the app:
YfC0B4e.jpg

Bummer. I just scheduled it for next week.
Maybe they didn't have them in stock/available and are ordering them. Obviously, that should have been communicated.
Double checking to make sure you are looking at the right place in the app:
YfC0B4e.jpg
Check your appointment under manage appointments and see if it is showing up there as a concern, or is it for Tires? I am navigating to the appropriate selection for service, it's just not populating under my appointment. When I attempt to add it as a concern, it also does not populate into the appointment.

Check your appointment under manage appointments and see if it is showing up there as a concern, or is it for Tires? I am navigating to the appropriate selection for service, it's just not populating under my appointment. When I attempt to add it as a concern, it also does not populate into the appointment.
Weird. I checked my appointment and tried to edit the appoint/service but it showed check tire pressure and condition. I *know* I did it correctly the first time.
I then did 'Add Another Concern' and it let me do the right selection BUT when going in again ... then it only shows check tire pressure and condition yet again!

Reactions: hitparader
Weird. I checked my appointment and tried to edit the appoint/service but it showed check tire pressure and condition. I *know* I did it correctly the first time.
I then did 'Add Another Concern' and it let me do the right selection BUT when going in again ... then it only shows check tire pressure and condition yet again!
I had the same issue. I definitely selected the camera upgrades, but when Service created my ticket, it just had the tire pressure check and they responded with "do you have a concern?". Seems like a bug in the app.

Reactions: scottf200
I had the same issue. I definitely selected the camera upgrades, but when Service created my ticket, it just had the tire pressure check and they responded with "do you have a concern?". Seems like a bug in the app.

I just added "camera upgrade" to the notes for my new appointment to check my tires I just scheduled on the 8th. Will respond with results.

Thanks for the update on everyone else having similar issues.
Thanks. I just updated my text to the below.
gwRCYhK.jpg

Reactions: hitparader