Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD 11.3.2 on the Highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How about turn signals? Does v.11 improve on the overuse of turn signals I'm seeing in v.10.69?
Still get the random 1-blink turn signal phenomenon happening, but in some new places.

Also on freeway - turnsignal activation logic is different for exiting - it turns on much sooner now (more blinks). On <10.69 I feel like it would blink pretty late, just before exiting in some cases. Now you are conveying to everyone behind you that you will be exiting ~0.25 miles away?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
That is a change that concerns me. I wonder if that function has just been moved somewhere else. I know my follow comfort zone might be a bit larger than most other people would choose
doesn't appear to be. You get your choice of "chill, average, assertive" - the right scroll now selects between those three. Chill = larger distance, less lane changes and Assertive = closer distance, more lane changes.

Does FSDb let you disable NoA on the highway the way regular EAP/FSD lets you? In other words, is it still possible to use Autosteer on the highway when navigating but without NoA?
Sorta.

In the autopilot settings screen, at the top, you get a selection of "autopilot features" with a choice of "Traffic-Aware Cruise Control", "Autosteer (beta)", and "Full Self Driving (beta)"

So it seems that the only way have a nav destination set and NOT use "Navigate on Autopilot" (this name no longer appears in the settings) is to select "Autosteer" for your choice.

Here's what the screen looks like:

IMG_1148 2023-03-21 23_52_21.png

• Informative
This is precisely what I want, for similar reasons. I want the new highway stack behavior - apparently smoother, nudging over for trucks, etc. - but do not want the car in charge of navigation and picking lanes. I've had NoA turned off for 4 years due to its inability to recognize the reversible toll lanes we have in metro Atlanta (it never suggests taking them, despite the fact that they're always faster), and its constant nagging to exit the HOV lane, which it apparently thinks is just the passing lane. (Yes, I have both toll roads and "Use HOV lanes" enabled, but it still tries to get me out of them 10-20 miles too soon.) The car does not seem to understand that the HOV lanes and toll lanes are significantly faster, whereas Waze does; if I let the car select my route to work, I'd often end up on pothole-ridden I-285 and have a commute at least 10 minutes longer than the one enabled by the toll and HOV lanes on I-75 and correctly suggested by Waze.

Hopefully the new highway stack makes its way to regular Autopilot / EAP before too long, and I can leave FSD switched off.
NoA has been evolving those 4 years. Have you tried it recently? It works much better for me in this area (which has those same features).

For those that drive 4 lane state highways, my experience vs. interstate driving is not as good on FSD. I wouldn't say that its unsafe - just highly annoying.

The biggest annoyance are lane changes to stay out of the right lane (the actual reason given). If I lived in an LHD jurisdiction then that would make sense - I don't. More annoying yet is the tendency to signal just as I'm about to be passed on the left, in order to clear the right lane.

And then just hangs out in the left / passing lane.

My interstate experience has been great. It's the undivided 4 lane highway that has me turning off fsd. Which is a shame because I can set the speed to 65 on a road where that is standard - NOA won't go above 60, where I can find myself holding up semis.

NoA has been evolving those 4 years. Have you tried it recently? It works much better for me in this area (which has those same features).
Maybe I'll try it the next time I go to the office, thanks. I know it still won't handle the toll lanes correctly as the GPS never suggests using them, but maybe it's finally figured out the HOV lanes. Last time I checked - maybe two years ago - it hadn't.

For those that drive 4 lane state highways, my experience vs. interstate driving is not as good on FSD. I wouldn't say that its unsafe - just highly annoying.

The biggest annoyance are lane changes to stay out of the right lane (the actual reason given). If I lived in an LHD jurisdiction then that would make sense - I don't. More annoying yet is the tendency to signal just as I'm about to be passed on the left, in order to clear the right lane.

And then just hangs out in the left / passing lane.

My interstate experience has been great. It's the undivided 4 lane highway that has me turning off fsd. Which is a shame because I can set the speed to 65 on a road where that is standard - NOA won't go above 60, where I can find myself holding up semis.
We all have our own preferences, but when there are more than two lanes to choose from, I prefer not to be in the rightmost lane. When you hang out in the right lane, you have to deal with merging traffic at every exit. Very often, these cars do not accelerate to highway speed before merging, causing my car to have to slow down or change lanes to avoid them. On NOA, the lane change delay makes this a poor experience. So, I am happy that the car tends to avoid the righmost lane.

However, NOA does sometimes hang out in the leftmost lane a bit too much.

We all have our own preferences, but when there are more than two lanes to choose from, I prefer not to be in the rightmost lane. When you hang out in the right lane, you have to deal with merging traffic at every exit. Very often, these cars do not accelerate to highway speed before merging, causing my car to have to slow down or change lanes to avoid them. On NOA, the lane change delay makes this a poor experience. So, I am happy that the car tends to avoid the righmost lane.

However, NOA does sometimes hang out in the leftmost lane a bit too much.
Presumably you don't hang out in the left hand lane and force traffic to pass you on the right.

In an in-town type of situation, this at least makes some sense to me. But I'm pretty serious about drive right, pass left. With 3 lanes going my way I stay out of the right hand lane. Of course if I'm the fastest car on the road then I'll be in the left hand lane - the issue here is when I'm not the fastest, and its really an issue when FSD wants to hop over as somebody is coming up to pass (not dangerously close, but annoyingly enough close that it looks and feels like I'm trying to box them out :D).

I'd be fine with a toggle to turn that particular rule off / on. The primary point for this thread and the response though, was identifying for the original poster something I find deficient in the current FSD implementation. Thankfully its also a minor point in that I expect to be fixed much sooner than later.

Maybe a "preferred lane when 3+ lanes present" toggle with;

1) fastest
2) middle lane(s) or
3) right most lane

Someone smarter than me can figure out what "fastest" even means when it comes to lane position. Or if that's not logical just a user toggle between #2 and #3?

For the most part are we talking about driver preferences?

Are the nags any different on 11.3.2? Specifically, freeway nags? Or street driving nags as well as long as we're asking. :rolleyes:
Just installed finally yesterday - haven't done much on the freeway yet. But the nags on streets were truly annoying, unfortunately :( Can't just keep my hand on the wheel now, have to wiggle, and every time I glance at the screen it wants another wiggle lol :(

Does it properly handle carpool lanes? I've noticed that navigation completely ignores carpool-only on/off ramps near where I live.
My car's navigation does indeed suggest using the left-hand exits from carpool/HOV lanes when I have HOV lanes selected. However, the system never takes into account that they are typically moving faster than the main part of the highway. It therefore often suggests using other highways that do not have HOV lanes. Those other highways might be faster than the main part of the highway that has HOV lanes, but they're almost certainly slower than the HOV lanes themselves.

As a result, when my car's system tells me to take I-285, I always double check what Waze says, as it knows the benefit of the HOV lanes on I-75 and shows the difference between using them and regular I-75. Usually it's highly accurate. I avoid 285 like the plague; rarely is it faster, it's overrun with semis and ridden with potholes (probably from the semis), which caused me at least 4 blowouts on my old car.

Reactions: frankvb
My car's navigation does indeed suggest using the left-hand exits from carpool/HOV lanes when I have HOV lanes selected. However, the system never takes into account that they are typically moving faster than the main part of the highway. It therefore often suggests using other highways that do not have HOV lanes. Those other highways might be faster than the main part of the highway that has HOV lanes, but they're almost certainly slower than the HOV lanes themselves.

As a result, when my car's system tells me to take I-285, I always double check what Waze says, as it knows the benefit of the HOV lanes on I-75 and shows the difference between using them and regular I-75. Usually it's highly accurate. I avoid 285 like the plague; rarely is it faster, it's overrun with semis and ridden with potholes (probably from the semis), which caused me at least 4 blowouts on my old car.
Yes, that's another problem, it can't tell the speed/congestion difference between carpool/HOV and regular lanes. Note that my (2018) BMW's navigation system did that...

This is probably because google maps doesn't do this either.

For anyone with the new 11.3.2: How does it handle lane changes on freeways while using navigation? Are they automatic — and annoying — like City Streets while navigating? (I seldom use navigation and FSD together on City Streets due to the excessive and bizarre lane changes.)