Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD / AP Rewrite - turning the corner?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is my nightmare. I really enjoy driving, and although I want safety features I’m not the slightest bit interested in autonomy. It might be useful on a monotonous motorway journey but that’s it.

How often will a car driving autonomously exploit the performance of an M3P? On a decent country road will it pull out and floor the accelerator (so to speak) to overtake a line of slower cars? I’ve had my car stamp on the brakes many times while on autopilot but it doesn’t accelerate so fast.
It's all about choice!

Not sure I’ve got the b***s to fully use my FSD, no matter how good it is. It’s the other road users without it that I worry about. The roads around here are probably too congested for it to become a stress free experience if that’s what it’s supposed to achieve.
I think you'll be surprised how quickly the technology will move to solve FSD. I would say in two years from now we'll be there or very close

• Disagree
Reactions: GreenT and H Mak
How often will a car driving autonomously exploit the performance of an M3P? On a decent country road will it pull out and floor the accelerator (so to speak) to overtake a line of slower cars?

Good point. Imagine being on a long drive on A/B roads and the car doesn’t have the ability to execute a safe overtaking manoeuvre. You could be stuck for hours behind the slowest caravan on the road. Pointless.

Reactions: GreenT
Personal view that Tesla needs to look further ahead and have a mode whereby the car slows before the bend and anywhere it cannot see far enough ahead for 'comfortable' passenger pro-active slowdowns rather than the current state of affairs where it dives into a corner at NSL and freaks out part way round...

Agreed and it always seems to scream 'Your car!!' right at the apex of the corner. Also, slowing and indicating a sensible distance before exiting for a ramp rather than diving off at the last second. Slowing before arriving at a speed restriction sign rather than passing it and then slowing down so you end up speeding for 100 metres.
On the positive side, the 'nag' seems to be more sensitive to steering wheel torque recently - either that or I'm getting better at using it.

Slowing before arriving at a speed restriction sign rather than passing it and then slowing down so you end up speeding for 100 metres.

This is a big need round here. The cops favourite places are just after speed restriction signs, so slowing down after passing the sign has already twice nearly got me a ticket, and I've only had the car a month. Luckily in both cases, I'd taken over and slowed before the limit.

Agreed and it always seems to scream 'Your car!!' right at the apex of the corner. Also, slowing and indicating a sensible distance before exiting for a ramp rather than diving off at the last second. Slowing before arriving at a speed restriction sign rather than passing it and then slowing down so you end up speeding for 100 metres.
On the positive side, the 'nag' seems to be more sensitive to steering wheel torque recently - either that or I'm getting better at using it.
The ‘nag’ has definitely tailed off and an off ramp I use frequently was exited beautifully. It’s only short and has a sharp left at the end. There used to be a steel turn marker on the grass triangle but so many cars wiped it out, it got replaced with a plastic one. I’ve seen a car belt down the ramp, miss the turn and rejoin the dual carriageway!
I was turned off just right, slowed nicely, took the turn whilst complaining it might not but did. Did the same on the right hander but still got to the junction and stopped without me having to intervene.

Good point. Imagine being on a long drive on A/B roads and the car doesn’t have the ability to execute a safe overtaking manoeuvre. You could be stuck for hours behind the slowest caravan on the road. Pointless.

Those hours stuck behind the caravan train might give time to workout what that big circle thing is in front of you or the rods getting in way of your feet.

I’d been fine with that if it meant I could have a few beers at lunch, read a book, get some work done, have a snooze etc. I don’t mind journey times as much as I mind unproductive time.

Is this all singing, all dancing software rewrite only about AP/FSD or is it also going to solve the apparently intractable problems of crap windscreen wipers and crap auto headlights?

The "Deep rain" automatic windscreen wipers were developed using the best they had at the time, launched to a fanfare of celebrations, herading a new age of AI technology and they were so proud of it they trademarked it.

Sound familiar?

My 10 year old pointed out that on Autopilot when speed limit reduces the car slows after the signs and merrily bing bongs warnings to the driver (i.e. itself) until the driver (again itself) slows to the speed limit.

Annoyingly I hadn't thought that the car was scolding itself before then.

• Funny
Reactions: timpharrison
Not that I have any desire to participate this early in the game, but does anyone know if the new architecture is being tested anywhere other than the USA?

from last year’s holiday, I’d say the Cotswolds would be a real test :eek:

• Informative
Reactions: Fred2
Not that I have any desire to participate this early in the game, but does anyone know if the new architecture is being tested anywhere other than the USA?

from last year’s holiday, I’d say the Cotswolds would be a real test :eek:

Elons tweet has specifically only mentioned USA at this point

Going forward, If you look at prior history (like traffic signal recognition) it will likely go USA -> CAN -> AUZ/NZ -> Europe...

Previously it has taken many months for such updates to filter through worldwide.... however for this re-write I would not be surprised if it is a quicker distribution, if only for the reason that I cannot see Tesla wanting to maintain two significantly different software releases in parallel.. after all they can easily "turn off" features for regulatory or testing purposes as and where needed....

I hope this is covered in earnings call tomorrow, as roll out is also revenue positive so is very relevant.

Reactions: Medved_77
AP3 part-way through: More of the same so far, and AP2 didn't cut it. It doesn't capture the experience that AP1 did at the time. Overall, disappointing still, but I hope for great things.

Seeing AP3 was meant to over take AP1 years ago it hasn't improved much since and now a rewrite, which means absolutely nothing for most people apart from it wasn't done right in the first place!

I don’t think Tesla have a lead. The latest system by mobileye (the next generation to the one used by Tesla for AP1) and used by BMW etc in their latest cars is very good. NCAP rated them significantly higher as driver assistance systems.

Reactions: Sean.
Elons tweet has specifically only mentioned USA at this point

Going forward, If you look at prior history (like traffic signal recognition) it will likely go USA -> CAN -> AUZ/NZ -> Europe...

Previously it has taken many months for such updates to filter through worldwide.... however for this re-write I would not be surprised if it is a quicker distribution, if only for the reason that I cannot see Tesla wanting to maintain two significantly different software releases in parallel.. after all they can easily "turn off" features for regulatory or testing purposes as and where needed....

I hope this is covered in earnings call tomorrow, as roll out is also revenue positive so is very relevant.

The 4D rewrite only runs on hw3 so they'll be 2 code bases for a significant period of time n
Hw2.x will become feature complete with the aim of making those features function.

Reactions: JupiterMan
“This technology is designed to enable drivers – for the first time ever – to delegate the task of driving to the vehicle”...” speeds of up to 70mph.“ Wow.

I want AKLS, but no way is Tesla AP ready. They’d be better off forgetting the fancy stuff and just building rock solid TACC + lane following (= AKLS?) to meet the new regs UK Gov come up with.