Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a chance to watch as my car floundered with a right turn lane today and noticed some interesting things going on.

As it approached the turn lane, the line showing the intended course bounced back and forth then the turn lane was shaded blue and the line switched. As the car moved into the turn lane, it turned on the left turn signal like it knew it needed to get back into the main lane of traffic, but the blue line showing the projected course showed the car planning on turning. None of these make sense, other than to say that turning and lane selection is really messed up!

I also had the car try to switch to the left lane even though it was going to make a right turn in about a thousand feet and there were no cars in front of it.

Post your complaints here: FSD Beta 10.12
Have a complaint about this? Post your complaints about posting complaints here: FSD Beta 10.12.......Just so you know, I am a professional, and for-hire........here is my card.......

Have complaints.......Will Travel........

Pace, Pace
Where do you roam
Pace, Pace
Far far from home

Last edited:
I had a chance to watch as my car floundered with a right turn lane today and noticed some interesting things going on.

As it approached the turn lane, the line showing the intended course bounced back and forth then the turn lane was shaded blue and the line switched. As the car moved into the turn lane, it turned on the left turn signal like it knew it needed to get back into the main lane of traffic, but the blue line showing the projected course showed the car planning on turning. None of these make sense, other than to say that turning and lane selection is really messed up!

I also had the car try to switch to the left lane even though it was going to make a right turn in about a thousand feet and there were no cars in front of it.
I get exactly this behavior 100% of the time at certain intersections. One thing I'm curious about, though... when this happens, does your car start playing with the turn signal like a baby with a rattle? Mine does. Honestly, I had no idea it could flip blinker direction as fast as it does.

Sometimes I'll get like some sort of logic disconnect between the planner and what the car actually ends up doing. For example, in the above scenario, the planner will actually show that it is going to make a right turn, but the car doesn't actually do the turn, even if it is in the correct lane to do so. This only seems to happen when there's only a short amount of time between the planner flipping out as described in the above post and the need for the car to actually take the turn. If there's adequate time passage between the planner getting its act together and the actual turn, it will *usually* pull off the planned turn. I guess in a way it makes sense; can you imagine if your car actually acted upon all of the noise you see visualized by the planner on screen?

This is a total guess on my part, but it seems as if the planner needs to send some sort of a "commit" message before the car will act upon a planner path. Like, "yeah, I'm committing to this path. Make it hap'n, Cap'n." If that doesn't happen early enough before the turn, the car goes straight, even though the planner shows the right turn.

But yeah, I completely agree with your statement, "...that turning and lane selection is really messed up!."

It's so bad that I no longer use FSD at certain intersections. I did my beta tester part by going through them and hitting the report button, but after that, FSD is no longer allowed to drive through those areas.

At one intersection, the car always ends up going straight when it's supposed to turn right. So I end up going through the intersection with my right turn signal on. I can't tell you how many times I've been honked at by opposing "yield to turn left" cars that were planning on me turning right (as indicated by my turn signal). At this intersection it is a common practice for them to turn left in this scenario, as there is a lane for me to turn right onto while they can turn left into the lane next to me.

It also seems like the turn signal activation isn't waiting for that same "I've committed to this path" message from the planner before it decides to activate... it's more like it just twitches right along with the planner path. While this is reportedly new behavior for a lot of folks here on the forum, I've been having this happen since the second beta release I received.

About the only real improvement I've seen over the last few versions is that my car no longer attempts to go around traffic ahead of us that is stopped at a traffic light or stop sign. Oh, and also it is smoother at coming to stops at most traffic lights, although stop signs are a coin flip.

Mine does’t go that crazy with the blinkers, but they definitely freak out some as it’s trying to figure things out.

The odd thing is, lane selection was actually much better a few versions ago. It seems like somethign they did to fix one problem caused another problem. It makes Me hopeful the fix won’t be too difficult, though.

I know what you mean about pissing other drivers off. I think at least half of my disengagements are ‘courtesy’ disengagements that I do just so I don’t confuse, annoy or otherwise inconvenience the other drivers around me. Often times it will eventually figure out the right thing if you have enough patience but you can’t really explain that to others.

You're aware the NN's dont learn, right? The only variables are external to the software (climate, traffic, road conditions, you).
that is likely the case - but my car is definitely driving worse now than it did a few weeks ago. Even on road it used to drive with confidence, its now braking constantly and shifting around in the lane, definitely not confidence inspiring.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ramphex
I get exactly this behavior 100% of the time at certain intersections. One thing I'm curious about, though... when this happens, does your car start playing with the turn signal like a baby with a rattle? Mine does. Honestly, I had no idea it could flip blinker direction as fast as it does.

Sometimes I'll get like some sort of logic disconnect between the planner and what the car actually ends up doing. For example, in the above scenario, the planner will actually show that it is going to make a right turn, but the car doesn't actually do the turn, even if it is in the correct lane to do so. This only seems to happen when there's only a short amount of time between the planner flipping out as described in the above post and the need for the car to actually take the turn. If there's adequate time passage between the planner getting its act together and the actual turn, it will *usually* pull off the planned turn. I guess in a way it makes sense; can you imagine if your car actually acted upon all of the noise you see visualized by the planner on screen?

This is a total guess on my part, but it seems as if the planner needs to send some sort of a "commit" message before the car will act upon a planner path. Like, "yeah, I'm committing to this path. Make it hap'n, Cap'n." If that doesn't happen early enough before the turn, the car goes straight, even though the planner shows the right turn.

But yeah, I completely agree with your statement, "...that turning and lane selection is really messed up!."

It's so bad that I no longer use FSD at certain intersections. I did my beta tester part by going through them and hitting the report button, but after that, FSD is no longer allowed to drive through those areas.

At one intersection, the car always ends up going straight when it's supposed to turn right. So I end up going through the intersection with my right turn signal on. I can't tell you how many times I've been honked at by opposing "yield to turn left" cars that were planning on me turning right (as indicated by my turn signal). At this intersection it is a common practice for them to turn left in this scenario, as there is a lane for me to turn right onto while they can turn left into the lane next to me.

It also seems like the turn signal activation isn't waiting for that same "I've committed to this path" message from the planner before it decides to activate... it's more like it just twitches right along with the planner path. While this is reportedly new behavior for a lot of folks here on the forum, I've been having this happen since the second beta release I received.

About the only real improvement I've seen over the last few versions is that my car no longer attempts to go around traffic ahead of us that is stopped at a traffic light or stop sign. Oh, and also it is smoother at coming to stops at most traffic lights, although stop signs are a coin flip.
I have all of those issues, but also my car still tries to go around queued cars at stop signs and traffic lights 10-15 times per day.

Reactions: Phlier and Twiglett
one of the more recent oddities is that it will just blink the indicator one time, a single flash.
I thought I was imagining it until it happened to be glancing at the screen when it did it.
There's no steering change, just that one blink and it carries on like nothing happened.
I rebooting it tonight just to see if its just feeling the age of running so long :D

It developed some weird quirk, there’s now a spot where it swerves right over the line for no reason, same spot every time, nothing abnormal about the road, lines, or traffic patterns. One lane in each direction. It does it just enough to get the tire to partially cross the line and then corrects itself back to the middle of the road. Interestingly enough it only developed this behavior like 2-3 weeks after the update, makes me wonder if it’s getting some sort of live stream data from somewhere or if there was some map data update that I wasn’t paying attention to.

one of the more recent oddities is that it will just blink the indicator one time, a single flash.
I thought I was imagining it until it happened to be glancing at the screen when it did it.
There's no steering change, just that one blink and it carries on like nothing happened.
I rebooting it tonight just to see if its just feeling the age of running so long :D
Happens to me too. Esp. near round-abouts.