Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.13

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess it comes down to features per update. Some updates were days apart, but the update list was just a few items. 10.12.2 had a pretty big list of changes. Do people prefer more frequent updates with smaller lists of changes, or more spread-apart updates with a larger list of changes?

I'd also imagine that some changes require changes in other features, such as switching a function to a new neural net. Those types of changes take longer than something simpler, such as updating a visualization or changing a warning notice language onscreen.

Reactions: VanFriscia
Do people prefer more frequent updates with smaller lists of changes, or more spread-apart updates with a larger list of changes?
Either way is fine, what's important is we don't run out of things to complain about. Right now, for example, we are in a dry spell. Maybe between really spread-out updates, they could just fu*k up the user interface again, that one was fun for a loooooooong time.........

I guess it comes down to features per update. Some updates were days apart, but the update list was just a few items. 10.12.2 had a pretty big list of changes. Do people prefer more frequent updates with smaller lists of changes, or more spread-apart updates with a larger list of changes?

I'd also imagine that some changes require changes in other features, such as switching a function to a new neural net. Those types of changes take longer than something simpler, such as updating a visualization or changing a warning notice language onscreen.
Agreed, but at this point it feels like the pace has become glacial. 10.10.2 --> 11.2 --> 12.2 each had decent improvements (as well as regressions), but not monumental ones, in my opinion. If the current rate of progress holds steady, then Tesla's got a loooooong way to go with this. I think solving this is going to require hardware upgrades too, but we'll see.

I also still wish I knew what exactly they wanted from me. I've been driving mostly the same roads on 12.2 for many weeks now. I know where it's going to fail and even where it's more likely to phantom brake. I've sent many snapshots at the same locations for this version. Does doing more even help for the same software version at this point? Should I even bother? It's frustrating because I WANT to help, but the one-way communication they've set up feels like I'm dealing with a black hole.

Ah well - at least v11 is going to release this past April :)

Agreed, but at this point it feels like the pace has become glacial. 10.10.2 --> 11.2 --> 12.2 each had decent improvements (as well as regressions), but not monumental ones, in my opinion. If the current rate of progress holds steady, then Tesla's got a loooooong way to go with this. I think solving this is going to require hardware upgrades too, but we'll see.

I also still wish I knew what exactly they wanted from me. I've been driving mostly the same roads on 12.2 for many weeks now. I know where it's going to fail and even where it's more likely to phantom brake. I've sent many snapshots at the same locations for this version. Does doing more even help for the same software version at this point? Should I even bother? It's frustrating because I WANT to help, but the one-way communication they've set up feels like I'm dealing with a black hole.

Ah well - at least v11 is going to release this past April :)
Just keep doing the drives and reporting. Would you feel better if you got a form-reply every time you submitted? They are getting too many (there are 100k testers) to give individual responses.

• Love
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Just keep doing the drives and reporting. Would you feel better if you got a form-reply every time you submitted? They are getting too many (there are 100k testers) to give individual responses.
Nah, I don't see the need for an auto-reply. And I totally understand they can't respond to everybody. But I feel like we've been made beta testers with very little to go on. Maybe what I'm looking for is a manual that describes the current features & capabilities (how many new beta testers here have asked "FSDb failed in situation X, does it not do this yet?" Like, shouldn't we all KNOW what it can and can't do before we dive in?!), as well as best reporting practices (specific things they're looking for right now, things not to bother with because they're not working on those features yet, etc.). At least then we'd have some indirect communication - we'd know what to expect and what to report.

Maybe I'm expecting too much though. I'm glad to be along for the ride and I'm still excited to see where this ends up. But it's all a bit frustrating, and with no clear timeline on the endgame or even minor point updates, I've definitely lost some of my enthusiasm.

Nah, I don't see the need for an auto-reply. And I totally understand they can't respond to everybody. But I feel like we've been made beta testers with very little to go on. Maybe what I'm looking for is a manual that describes the current features & capabilities (how many new beta testers here have asked "FSDb failed in situation X, does it not do this yet?" Like, shouldn't we all KNOW what it can and can't do before we dive in?!), as well as best reporting practices (specific things they're looking for right now, things not to bother with because they're not working on those features yet, etc.). At least then we'd have some indirect communication - we'd know what to expect and what to report.

Maybe I'm expecting too much though. I'm glad to be along for the ride and I'm still excited to see where this ends up. But it's all a bit frustrating, and with no clear timeline on the endgame or even minor point updates, I've definitely lost some of my enthusiasm.
Your in the same camp with a lot of people that would like better clarification on what is going on. Sadly, it is not going to improve with that communication situation.

Reactions: T-Mom and Bpseattle
Depends on the current release. If things work ok then I’m fine waiting longer to get noticeably improved functionality. However the last few releases each had some (IMO) bad behaviors that I’d prefer to have fixed sooner than that, e.g. the current release consistently attempts to stop for nonexistent stop signs on the freeway in NoA mode.

I've been wondering... As we get closer to Level 5, it may be more difficult to introduce incremental software improvements that are meaningful. However, I don't think we're that far up the asymptotic curve yet. Plus, Tesla has the benefit of more fleet data than ever. Where's that new release?!

The FSD forums seem to have gone quiet ever since EAP was reinstated. I would think they would stay single stack until city driving is a lot more solid than it is now. Debugging city driving with the burden of debugging highway driving seems like one would be adding in another variable to worry about.

"Should handle Chuck's complex left hand turn." I think Chuck has both an unprotected left turn and a forward facing unprotected LHT. Both are complex.
Hopefully sir Musk meant both types. It means the team focused on that scenario. If it aces it, did it learn it purely by NN methods, or like previously suggested - more of a hard code, i.e., expert system. I hope the former.

Reactions: jebinc
@diplomat33. I missed it. Did your car get repaired yet?

Not yet. But they should be close now. 2 weeks ago, they told me "3 weeks". I got an update on Tuesday that they need a sensor wiring harness and they ordered the part. It's been a really long repair. My car has been in the shop since mid April. I am so impatient to get my car back.

Not yet. But they should be close now. 2 weeks ago, they told me "3 weeks". I got an update on Tuesday that they need a sensor wiring harness and they ordered the part. It's been a really long repair. My car has been in the shop since mid April. I am so impatient to get my car back.

They have to extended the warranty for all that time on the ship. At least I think On my way! States are that way.

Reactions: diplomat33