Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki FSD Beta 10.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup, we want fsd beta to creep into oncoming lanes in certain situations (like unprotected left at a light, the car should creep into the intersection), but if Tesla creates code that says (for example) "never get in front of any cars," this would lead to undesirable behavior.
Its not about creating such hacks in their planner.

They have to analyze a lot of such examples and figure out what is that common cause of such behavior and then modify the weights or introduce new parameters in their cost optimization that would minimize such situations. It is not straight forward - but I don't expect it to take 7 more months.

Reactions: powertoold
To be fair, something like 95%+ of those 2000 were Tesla employees-and then a tiny handful of youtubers and such...which means vast bulk of incoming data was likely only located in a very few places.

See again Elons remarks about overfitting to the bay area.

I would agree with you, except the improvements on all the fsd beta release notes have nothing to do with driving / testers in certain locales. It seems all the fsd beta improvements in the release notes (that are available) relate to improved auto-labeling techniques and different NN approaches. All this data can be collected with the production fleet.

I would agree with you, except the improvements on all the fsd beta release notes have nothing to do with driving / testers in certain locales. It seems all the fsd beta improvements in the release notes (that are available) relate to improved auto-labeling techniques and different NN approaches. All this data can be collected with the production fleet.

They weren't doing detailed release notes for the entire period the test fleet was (almost entirely) tesla employees though.

Further, one of the items on this set of release notes addresses the overfitting issue as well- "adjusting oversampling and overweighting strategies"

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
Wherever the locale. It should not attempt a hill on a dirt road all the way to the crest in the middle of the road. One improvement I would like to see.

After the first attempt on a road I drive daily I had to intervene as car was moving too far to middle.

Spent two days testing this hill with two friends with two way radios to make sure we had no collisions. Reported each one from each direction with notes and email. Car would continuously drive down middle or even on the left. A hill such that even the camera height difference from my eye position made it impossible to see over. Even tried same exercise at night with similar results.

Not sure how many people traverse dirt roads. It is a very interesting test, and forever be vigilant in holding on. Ditches with leaves sometimes look like road.

For people having the problem, they don't even get the switch to turn it on. It just shows the same button you initially pressed to request the beta, even though they received all the 10.4 release notes and received the right version.
That happened to me when I first got the Beta (I was in the first batch of 100s). I drove around for a bit and it showed up in my settings. After my camera re-calibration adventure and finding out that you get AP back a while before Beta finishes its own calibration, I’m wondering if it’s because the cameras are calibrating still?

The 98% was in light grey under the Full Beta Switch in Autopilot. The blue circle indeed did finish and allow freeway autopilot, but the Full Beta switch was not available until the 98% got to 100%.
Same for me. Mine was stuck at 99% for about 20 miles of driving, iirc. Took forever to get Beta back, which made me realize how much I enjoy using it even more.

Agreed that your concern is by far the most important but could be much hard to solve (maybe mid next year). Having a option to approve lane changes like with FSD Freeway NOA could be much easier and help train the car for when and when not to change lanes for no reason. And of course changing lanes and then trying to get back into the correct lane to make a turn can be a safety issue. In my case < 1/2 mile from home it will move into the left lane before a light that is just maybe 200 yards before needing to get back into the right lane to make a right turn. And by the time to get back in the right lane the lane can be full of cars that it needs to get in between. Generally just need to take it out of FSD Beta.
I’m hoping my constant cancelling of unnecessary lane changes by flicking the turn signal off counts as an intervention that Tesla notes and reviews.

Same for me. Mine was stuck at 99% for about 20 miles of driving, iirc. Took forever to get Beta back, which made me realize how much I enjoy using it even more.
10.4 started off terrible for me. I was getting whiplash ( not really) from phantom braking so I recalibrated my cameras. It took forever to get AP back and then it still needed another 20% to get 10.4 back.

After my recalibration I didn’t see much improvement the first couple of days but my FSD has gotten a lot better. Even so I’m ready for 10.5.

• Informative
Reactions: TravelFree
I disabled Automatic Lane Changes in Autopilot and that disabled them in FSD as well. Four weeks in FSD and not one automatic lane change.

Interesting on freeway, which is obviously the regular non beta stack, I have no automatic lane change; as I prefer.

However on FSD BETA. With steers it changes lanes all by itself. And of course making all kinds of odd, wrong, or late lane chance.

Reactions: TravelFree
Check the map. Usually when the turns fail a lot - there is a mapping issue (unless the intersection is inherently complex).
I agree that maps are often out of date, but the FSD-beta turning problems are not usually the fault of the map. I have accurate maps of a simple stop sign intersection and sometimes the turn is perfect and other times it proceeds way too slow with the steering wheel going crazy. I go back to repeat the same intersection and next time it is perfect. Nothing has changed. I have the same inconsistency at many simple turns. Let's see what 10.5 has to offer. Some of these issues are being addressed according to the release notes.

I disabled Automatic Lane Changes in Autopilot and that disabled them in FSD as well. Four weeks in FSD and not one automatic lane change.
I hope you meant on the highway where you use NOA. We both have the same setting for auto lane change. I use advise and have to accept with the stalk to allow to lane change on the highway. However, off highway the FSD-beta still makes the turns automatically. Sometimes not being in the turn lane soon enough can cause a missed navigation turn. If FSD-beta has auto turns off, then what's the point? Even non beta allows traffic light and stop sign detection.

10.4 started off terrible for me. I was getting whiplash ( not really) from phantom braking so I recalibrated my cameras. It took forever to get AP back and then it still needed another 20% to get 10.4 back.

After my recalibration I didn’t see much improvement the first couple of days but my FSD has gotten a lot better. Even so I’m ready for 10.5.
Same experience for me. 10.4 started off as a degeneration to me. After a few days it became really impressive and I was constantly having long drives with one or zero disengagements. This even prompted me to pay 10k for the FSD. I was only paid just 200 “a ticket to experience the beta” (succeeded in just 5 days with 100 safety score, sorry for those paid full price and still stuck waiting), yet it convinced me to pay 10k partially thanks to the experience with 10.4. A month ago I was bragging about how I’m able to get the FSD beta from Tesla with the cheapest price possible quickly, now the joke’s on me. Sneaky Tesla!

Reactions: Itsuo-DC
My 10.4 FSD beta on city streets became active 4 days after I downloaded it with no action taken on my part. I was out of town for that period of time and not able to drive the car. When I returned the switch selection to allow the new FSD beta on city streets had appeared. I went for a quick test run a few blocks from my house. Moderate phantom braking on just about every third side street intersection. Hope to do further evaluation later today.