Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Revocation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe the Brights business is unrelated to FSD.
It's the "vision only" wanting to see better.

I don't get it often. Are y'all wiping all your cameras,
and the windshield over the front cameras? Keeping
the cameras immaculate has reduced all sorts of oddities
for me. If I forget, various "issues" pop up. Worth doing
a walkaround-and-wipe before starting the day's drives.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I would be petrified to be on FSD beta at 90 miles an hour.
I mean, don’t get me wrong, I definitely want my radar back. But not worried about doing 90mph. After all, I am still driving, 100% in control of the vehicle! Not really any different. Getting locked out just creates distraction so it’s going to be good when the limit is increased (which presumably would only happen when/if certain capabilities are met). But it really does not matter if it does not stop for other vehicles - that’s my job!

Last edited:
Reactions: Phlier
Not sure if someone already mentioned it, but you can disable the auto high beams.

Just push the left stalk away from you after you engage FSD.

You'll have to do this again if you disengage and re-engage FSD. It resets every time you start FSD.

When you say "engage FSD" do you mean optioning the Beta FSD on the Controls page,
or just engaging {Autopilot+NOA+FSD} by double yankin' the right stalk?

And the Phantom Braking on 10.5 Beta is so bad at night with traffic coming at you on 2 lane roads. Wife complained about it like " every 5 minutes this car slamms on the brakes" and I had to turn off TACC and drive myself the rest of the trip. Don't want that on Noa! (and just fix phantom braking already. We had it with Radar and we have it worse with Vision so not getting better)

And the Phantom Braking on 10.5 Beta is so bad at night with traffic coming at you on 2 lane roads. Wife complained about it like " every 5 minutes this car slamms on the brakes" and I had to turn off TACC and drive myself the rest of the trip. Don't want that on Noa! (and just fix phantom braking already. We had it with Radar and we have it worse with Vision so not getting better)

Can you explain? You're talking about NOA on 2 lane roads, so you must be in FSD Beta NOA mode?
When you're talking about "slamming on the brakes" do you mean literally that, or that the car slows down?

What do you associate that with? Anything specific? What I've had is occasional slowing in reaction to nearby
cars or possibly threatening situations. The solution is to keep your foot by the accelerator when it might happen
and override it. I've only had actual braking maybe twice in 3 years of using NOA. I'm not doubting your report
but I don't understand. I never use TACC, so I dunno about that mode.

Reactions: joelliot
Can you explain? You're talking about NOA on 2 lane roads, so you must be in FSD Beta NOA mode?
When you're talking about "slamming on the brakes" do you mean literally that, or that the car slows down?

What do you associate that with? Anything specific? What I've had is occasional slowing in reaction to nearby
cars or possibly threatening situations. The solution is to keep your foot by the accelerator when it might happen
and override it. I've only had actual braking maybe twice in 3 years of using NOA. I'm not doubting your report
but I don't understand. I never use TACC, so I dunno about that mode.
This is not phantom braking on the interstate, so Not while on NoA control. Remember the car switches to the 'old' NoA control instead of the new FSD when on 4 lane divived highways. That NoA still seems good on the interstate as far as false braking isn't a problem.

This is on 2 lane, non divided road where speed limit is 55mph so the new vision based FSD. I think it happens most at night when following a car in FSD and an approaching cars headlights become visible to the front camera as the approaching car on the left has its lights clear the car we are following. Like FSD sees the headlights of the approaching car on the left and thinks there is a danger. They are all well within their lane so no danger. FSD does a little slowdown or more aggressive brake apply about 33 % of the time this happens.

I tried avoiding this by giving some throttle with my foot. But after a mile or two of continuous foot pressure, the car bings at you to enforce that Cruise Control Will Not Brake. Wife commented this car is slamming the brakes or binging every miute. And Joe Mode isn't quiet enough either.

TACC is cruise control in this situation without auto steering, with a single pull of the stalk. Problem is braking and binging is identical, as just missing the steering part of the control.

Was annoying passengers so much I drove manually, no cruise, no auto steering for last 30 miles of the trip. What I would do for an option to just have normal old stupid Cruise Control.

And this Phantom Braking has been a problem TACC for years according to posts here. With Radar, now with Vision only this seems to be a Tesla problem they can't get a handle on.
If they can't fix the Phantom Braking, atleast give me to option to turn it off and let ME drive with simple cruise control. I'm not the first to ask for this.

Last edited:
Reactions: K5TRX and Phlier
That is not an unreasonable request, by any means.

Offering everyone the option to have simple cruise control would certainly go a long way to appease a lot of folks.
Creating new options to regress behavior is problematic. I would not support this. The car has always supported smart cruise control. Now we want to add another tier of behavior where for some people the car no longer slows down and goes into FCW mode if it charges into a traffic jam, but for others it will dynamically slow. Does the cruise-only car trigger a FCW now for a shadow? Should the car AEB?

There are a ton of usability considerations that go along with this. Yes, phantom braking is an big issue, but I'd rather they focus on solving the problem than engineering a new feature that will ultimately be treated as disposable after they get past this phase. It's unfortunate we're in this awkward phase, and if anything the FSD beta is kind of the worst of the bunch, but this is basically what we signed up for. Imagine if we had gotten it when the social media shills were boosting FSD beta like it was ready for prime time.

Creating a OFF for auto braking CAN be done. There was a basic model 3 that comes without TACC I believe, so the code exists as that one doesn't slow down. My Volt and Wife's Mustang GT allow turning off TACC (or their versions of the speed control cruise) temporarily for a single drive. Done if sensor blocked by ice build up or leaves or other cr$p. Works well as an option.

Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
Not sure if someone already mentioned it, but you can disable the auto high beams.

Just push the left stalk away from you after you engage FSD.

You'll have to do this again if you disengage and re-engage FSD. It resets every time you start FSD.
This does turn off the high beams for now but my Model Y will turn the high beams back on after a few minutes.

Creating a OFF for auto braking CAN be done. There was a basic model 3 that comes without TACC I believe, so the code exists as that one doesn't slow down. My Volt and Wife's Mustang GT allow turning off TACC (or their versions of the speed control cruise) temporarily for a single drive. Done if sensor blocked by ice build up or leaves or other cr$p. Works well as an option.

Toyota has dumb cruise v ACC as a hard toggle. The default is ACC.

As you note, it's not just about phantom braking, it's also about sensor dependency.
These systems aren't reliable, and the reliability varies by vehicle, region, weather and even country.

The ability to disable them is as important as their presence.

FSD beta 10.5 is absolutely horrible and unusable in the day too if the 2-lane road has any curves. Turning off FSD beta improves it significantly, but still way worse than radar+vision

If YOU are driving the car you are safe unless you CARE about your Safety Score or you have Tesla Insurance in Texas.

View attachment 724828
What is “at least one strike per 5km” mean? If it’s only one strike, how are they measuring the distance? Wouldn’t you need two strikes within in particular distance for the sentence to make any sense? Does it mean two strikes within a 10 km distance? I don’t get it, perhaps I am not reading this correctly.