Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta Videos (and questions for FSD Beta drivers)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm, Maybe if Tesla put this in a manual or email to the testers, instead of just leaving us all in the dark to guess?
Why should it be on a completely uniformed tester to know when to disengage and what helps Tesla learn and what doesn't?
I mean, all Tesla tells you to do is click a button and send them an email when you see something you don't like. They don't even make it clear that normal disengagements help them at all.

Maybe Tesla has thought this through and determined that simply informing testers to "click the button" is enough? Maybe they determined that not explicitly telling testers that disengagements notifies Tesla is ok, because it wouldn't change one's actions anyway. Maybe testers don't get manuals bc they want to model testers after the non-manual-reading masses who will use FSD post early access.

Tesla/EM are far from perfect in the communications and expectation setting department, but I suspect they thought this through, and I certainly don't think any of their decisions are a result of inattentiveness or incompetence.

Wowwww 10.2 is amazing, especially in dealing with tons of peds at stops:

It is. The monitoring humans does seem very good. It's very cautious, but didn't seem to miss anyone.
However, in the middle of all of that, it just tries to drive over a road sign (10:30). It also drives within an inch or two of a parked car.
It seems very good at dynamic objects, and really iffy about static ones.

Reactions: powertoold
Tesla/EM are far from perfect in the communications and expectation setting department, but I suspect they thought this through, and I certainly don't think any of their decisions are a result of inattentiveness or incompetence.
This is the same Tesla that has "absolutely do not use autosteer on city streets" in their manual and then a few pages later tells you about how it will ding for a green light or stop sign, which never occur on limited access roads.

Tell me, why do they have ~40 pages of how to use current AP in the manual, if they believe that nobody will read it, and you can just figure it out? But now, in a public beta, under massive scrutiny from NHTSA and the media, they purposefully decide they don't need any kind of manual because that helps with testing?

And the same Tesla that had to delay FSD release on Friday night to release on Sunday night. Not exactly a stable release process.

Let's be real here, they are just moving as fast as possible, and manuals are boring and time consuming and require stable software to write against.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matias
S
This is the same Tesla that has "absolutely do not use autosteer on city streets" in their manual and then a few pages later tells you about how it will ding for a green light or stop sign, which never occur on limited access roads.
That's not really a contradiction though, you don't need to use Autosteer to get green light/stop sign alerts. Just TACC alone will suffice and that's perfectly fine to use on city streets.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I think road blocks or low occlusions can look just like erased road markings. So they just need to add a lot of occluded training data to distinguish between real occlusions and faded/erased road markings.
I don't agree that a gate or road block looks like a worn out lane marker.
They might need more training data though, but 5 years would have given plenty time for this basic scenario.

I don't agree that a gate or road block looks like a worn out lane marker.
Why not ? The camera sees a road with all the markings - and then some thing strange "painted" on the road and then again road markings. Esp. if the game is just made of a few metal / plastic rods.

They might need more training data though, but 5 years would have given plenty time for this basic scenario.
You need lots of labelled data. The way EM is tweeting about it - my guess is they are labelling a lot of data now and started to use it for training. 5 years back they were concentrating on "basic" freeway scenarios.

Reactions: mars_or_bust
Just TACC alone will suffice and that's perfectly fine to use on city streets.

Not according to the manual. All of the below is in the "autosteer" section:

1633990312141.png

1633990293347.png

And then, given the above "never use autosteer on city streets" they then give you this:

1633990464715.png

Why did they "design" traffic light and stop sign control to work with autosteer if you are specifically prohibited from using it?

The simple answer here is that they are sloppy about their manuals as they update features, not that they do "everything on purpose."

you consider running into signs, cones, barrier in construction scenarios working well? Or 1-10 average mile between disengagement in urban driving scenario?
Come on.. lets have a sense of fairness here. That road closed sign with the detour sign to opposite lane is a difficult scenario even for humans. Why are we harping on the less than 1% of the use cases, when we all know that this is beta and work in progress?

I honestly detest whining negative Nancys whose only job is to find some concern and blow it up.

Yes this is a scenario that should be handled and Tesla's FSD will handle it when it comes out of beta.

I know it hurts you that your favorite automaker has made no further progress in autonomy, but don't let that stop you from enjoying the progress and the future Tesla is showing in FSD beta.

Not according to the manual. All of the below is in the "autosteer" section:

View attachment 720365

View attachment 720364

And then, given the above "never use autosteer on city streets" they then give you this:

View attachment 720367

Why did they "design" traffic light and stop sign control to work with autosteer if you are specifically prohibited from using it?

The simple answer here is that they are sloppy about their manuals as they update features, not that they do "everything on purpose."
Note there are stop signs and traffic signals on non-city streets too. That's where I was using the Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control when I had it for my FSD trial.

Note there are stop signs and traffic signals on non-city streets too.
You're forgetting to read the first sentence.

1633992934486.png

Point out a road to me that is a highway or limited access road that has a stop sign in the direction of travel on that limited access road. What is even the definition of a limited access road if it has a stop sign? What are you stopping for?

Yes this is a scenario that should be handled and Tesla's FSD will handle it when it comes out of beta.
Any idea when that will be? Highway traffic aware cruise control has been in beta for 7 years now (2014-2021). I guess it's Ok when that plows into stopped objects too. It's beta. 🤷‍♂️

The primary issue here is that this is where Tesla is 5 years after they first sold FSD. 5 years after a video saying the driver is only there for legal purposes, the system can't avoid a sign in the middle of a road.

That road closed sign with the detour sign to opposite lane is a difficult scenario even for humans.
If that's true, why do road closed signs and detour signs survive even one day without humans plowing through them like FSD tries to?

You're forgetting to read the first sentence.

View attachment 720379

Point out a road to me that is a highway or limited access road that has a stop sign in the direction of travel on that limited access road. What is even the definition of a limited access road if it has a stop sign? What are you stopping for?
By definition, Limited-access road includes expressways, which definitely can have traffic lights and stop signs:
Limited-access road - Wikipedia

Here's an example, right on CA-35 locally:
limited_access_stop_sign.jpg
Google Maps

Limited-access road only means intersections are rare, doesn't mean they have to be non-existent. And although most traffic controls on expressways are lights, there are some cases where it's a stop sign (usually when two of them cross over like in this case where Skyline and Sloat crosses over, but neither are considered super high traffic, so a stop sign is sufficient).

Same question. HW3 and MCU2 via upgrades. Any hits?
Hmmmm. Maybe this is Elon's little secret? Maybe all of the FSD instances to date (whether is this release or for the past year) for MS/MX needs the camera's starting with AP 2.5?

I really hope I'm mistaken. It's one thing to stretch the truth because the CEO isn't supposed to know every detail, like release dates and such. But if this Whopper is true, it sure feels intentionally deceptive to his core supporters.

Someone please tell me I'm off base here.