Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Computer upgrade issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took my 2017 S P100D to the service center early yesterday for the AP2.0 to AP3.0 upgrade. The service center said that it would take around 4 hours to complete.

It has now been almost two full days. The service center informed me that they are having software issues with the car and that engineering has been working on it.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

I searched the forum and did not find any similar threads.

Thanks!

• Helpful
Reactions: HappyHappy
Hi Jptaylor,

Many people have reported this problem...
I saw the software was upgraded 4 to 5 times when they put the FSD
hardware in my Model X.

It's a crapshoot, some apply instantly, others take multiple attempts.

I believe it is why they refrain from doing the install by ranger...
Limited access to large data transfers...

Your car will be fine,

Shawn

Reactions: JPTAYLOR
I had my Model X AP2 to AP3 upgrade done by a ranger in my driveway, and the entire thing took 2 hours.

It is possible that your MCU1 is nearing it's life, and it's causing problems with software updates. While very slim, just be prepared for them to let you know that your MCU1 has died.

If that does indeed happen, then your options may be:

(1) Get a refurbished MCU1
(2) Ask them if you can get the Infotainment Upgrade for $2500 which will upgrade you to MCU2 and IC2...

Awesome, thanks!

Seeing that we need to change ethernettunertype from 1 to 0 in order to enable Tuner2, you never know what's what with Tesla's nomenclatures...
The tuner one is the weird one for sure. Ethernettunertype 1 basically means "no tuner" whereas the absence of this setting, or ethernettunertype 0, both mean "yes, there's a tuner".

I took my 2017 S P100D to the service center early yesterday for the AP2.0 to AP3.0 upgrade. The service center said that it would take around 4 hours to complete.

It has now been almost two full days. The service center informed me that they are having software issues with the car and that engineering has been working on it.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

I searched the forum and did not find any similar threads.

Thanks!

My experience (it wasn't smooth):
My AutoPilot 3.0 Upgrade Experience

Well finally got it back at the end of the third day. Nothing wrong with MCU, they just said they had a terrible time with the software.

They even drove around to calibrate and make sure everything was working properly so no @dannycamps situation.

Thanks everyone and good luck with future upgrades.

P.S. Was super happy to give back the green 2013 P85+ with tags that were 9 months expired.

Reactions: croman
Hi Jptaylor,

Many people have reported this problem...
I saw the software was upgraded 4 to 5 times when they put the FSD
hardware in my Model X.

It's a crapshoot, some apply instantly, others take multiple attempts.

I believe it is why they refrain from doing the install by ranger...
Limited access to large data transfers...

Your car will be fine,

Shawn

Took my car in yesterday at 1pm and got it back today at 10 am. I also saw at least 2 attempts to download software Took about 10 miles to calibrate. I had to reset wifi and homelink, but so far no other issues. now need to buy the drive for the new entry mode.

Gud'evening folks, June 27 midnightish.

I got the notice 10 days ago. Immediately booked a Friday appointment.

Got an email from Doug in Vancouver, telling me of shortage of FSD 3.0 computers, pushing me back a Week.

No worries.

So a week later my MX went under the knife at 08:15 this morning. Very efficient check in and they had a loaner 60D MX waiting for me.

At 10:10 my mobile chimed, with my Tesla App telling me new software UG availability.
25 minutes later another Chime and told it was done.

Then came the Text at 11:53, surgery successful, come and get your MX.

The "Camera Calibration" was painless and I now have DashCam and the 32gig chip I bought back in 2018 is finally getting a good work out.

This afternoon another Software update notice came in and it is now uploading.

My thanks to Doug, Humpery and the team at 4th Ave Service Centre such nice, smooth service.

Kindest regards,
Hugh-SG

Well the surgery was completed on Friday, but finished too late to pick up the car. I just picked it up now and so far, so good. Shortly after getting home, I got a prompt to install 2020.20.12, which is currently installing. I'll do some testing later today after work.

The cameras have not finished calibrating quite yet (it's at 98%), I didn't do too much driving. But it's cool to see stop signs and lights in the ICU visualization. Seems to work fairly well at detecting and stopping. I noticed a couple times that the system suddenly thought the stop line was a bit closer to me than it really was, and got some abrupt braking I had to override. Have not done enough driving to determine if overall performance has changed much, but initially it does seem smoother. I did notice that in some areas, I wasn't able to go 5 over the speed limit as I could before. Not sure if that's from 2020.20.12 or the FSD computer upgrade.

The cameras have not finished calibrating quite yet (it's at 98%), I didn't do too much driving. But it's cool to see stop signs and lights in the ICU visualization. Seems to work fairly well at detecting and stopping. I noticed a couple times that the system suddenly thought the stop line was a bit closer to me than it really was, and got some abrupt braking I had to override. Have not done enough driving to determine if overall performance has changed much, but initially it does seem smoother. I did notice that in some areas, I wasn't able to go 5 over the speed limit as I could before. Not sure if that's from 2020.20.12 or the FSD computer upgrade.
The speed limitation is due to having FSD Preview turned on (stopping for signs and lights). If you turn that off in the Autopilot menu, you can go 5 over in AP again.