Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD fails to detect children in the road

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm claiming it. FSD beta is no different than what any other AV company is doing.
The design intent is to be robotaxi software. How could an L2 system be a robotaxi when it goes to wide release?

1660660536229.jpeg

I have a "SpaceX Beta" I'd like to sell you

This is a common misunderstanding of the way "levels" work. It's more like your 1st grader claiming to be a human and not a dog even though both require supervision.

We're just arguing semantics. I know, I know: what's the internet good for if we can't start a jihad over minutia?

I think we can all agree that whatever Tesla is offering, it currently does not meet the definition of "Level 5", although I accept this is their aspirational goal.

Reactions: dramsey
We're just arguing semantics. I know, I know: what's the internet good for if we can't start a jihad over minutia?

I think we can all agree that whatever Tesla is offering, it currently does not meet the definition of "Level 5", although I accept this is their aspirational goal.
There are no performance specifications for any of the SAE automation levels and the whole point of beta software is that it's not done yet. Waymo spend nearly a decade with beta L4 software before they were able to remove supervision.
It is true that this is silly to argue about. The only thing that matters is whether or not it is safe to test on public roads (so far it appears to be).

I’ve posted about this before. Put not being there (I did not go back and reread my prior post where I responded to your post where I detail it) [EDIT: the word put IS there, of course, in another section, so I will add a disagree] does not change my point, of course. It is a statement of the state of the vehicle, clearly.

That’s why they wrote it that way!!!

See my post above, there are two sections, the second one includes “put” (my memory did not fail me!), but it does not matter. It’s all the same gymnastics.

Just English language details. Annoying but correct. There’s just no way to read those statements as a statement about the driver using FSD correctly, because that’s not what they say. It does not talk about the driver’s use of FSD! The subject is the vehicle in the portion you quoted.

FSD fails to detect children in the road
Each item is a separate affirmation :

The activation specific item:
SmartSelect_20220816-112721_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

The operation item:

Screenshot_20220816-112702_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

The "manner instructed" is with hand on wheel. How is this *not* how it is to be operated?
From his Exhibit C:
SmartSelect_20220816-114954_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
SmartSelect_20220816-114927_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

The operation item:

Screenshot_20220816-112702_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

The "manner instructed" is with hand on wheel. How is this *not* how it is to be operated?
From his Exhibit C:
SmartSelect_20220816-114954_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
SmartSelect_20220816-114927_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
Correct. He put it in FSD mode correctly, But it wasn't "in full self-driving mode, in the manner instructed" the second he took his hands off the wheel. Because as instructed is that "You must keep your hand on the steering wheel at all times."

View attachment 841538

The operation item:

View attachment 841539
From his Exhibit C:
View attachment 841550View attachment 841551
He put it in FSD mode as instructed in the driving manual. They are obviously talking about how FSD was engaged, not how it was used.

That is a fact, just super annoying (probably deliberately so!).

This affidavit says nothing about whether he used that mode according to the manual (because if it did that would be incorrect!).

The operation item is clearly referring to the vehicle, not the driver. It was factually in self-driving mode during a brief window of time, as described.

This is just straightforward plain English. It doesn’t mean I think it is great or wonderful. But there is nothing false in the affidavit that has been identified so far.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Seems like a serious design flaw to only hit children when the vehicle doesn't detect hands on the wheel, especially given we all know that the detection can be unreliable.
The Scarecrow is over in Oz...

It is possible to discuss different aspects of the same set of events. Such as test methodology (contrived), test reporting (biased), tester's statements (contradictory).

View attachment 841538

The operation item:

View attachment 841539
From his Exhibit C:
View attachment 841550View attachment 841551
smartselect_20220816-114927_adobe-acrobat-jpg.841551

As an aside to this discussion. How would one keep hands on the steering yoke at all times in a Model S/X Plaid? I presume therefore you cannot use Autosteer with those models.

, But it wasn't "in full self-driving mode, in the manner instructed
I guess we’ll have to disagree. When I pull the gear stalk twice, my vehicle will go into full self-driving mode if conditions permit, according to the manual, but it doesn’t mean I am using it correctly in accordance with the manual. If I wanted to discuss whether it was being used in accordance with the manual, I would talk about the *use* of the feature.

To me this seems like straightforward English.

But opinions can differ apparently!

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
This is just straightforward plain English. It doesn’t mean I think it is great or wonderful. But there is nothing false in the affidavit that has been identified so far.

???

[When the car] was in Full Self Driving mode, in the manner instructed by the owner's manual ... [during all portions of the videoed test]

If you go to the owner's manual and look up how things should be when in FSD mode, what does it say?
It says driver's hands on the wheel.

This is not transition to FSD, this is 'in FSD' i.e. operation. If not, then this assertion is redundant and the call out of the manual is meaningless since FSD was already activated, and anything after that is Tesla's domain, not the owner's.