Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD now $99 a month

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been very impressed with my 30 day trial so far. It really surprised me how much better FSD drives compared to free AP on the basic stuff like starting and stopping in traffic. Also I like the visualization a lot. Such a shock to see the price slashed to 99/mo! Now I may actually keep it.

First of all, I’m a Tesla lover (not a hater). It’s an absolute joy to drive my car…and that’s my point…I enjoy driving it!

EAP…worth 20/month IMO.
FSD…not worth it…period. It’s a fun trick to show friends, especially on roundabouts with no traffic (“hey guys, look, my car can drive itself”) as they watch in awe as the steering wheel moves automatically.

I think it’s funny when I read posts that after long drives people say they arrive feeling “rested” with NOA or FSD. Me, I’m as stressed as I was when I was teaching my teens to drive with those enabled.

It’s not there yet. It may not get there. Six figure salary and the first digit is a 2….but I’m not wasting my money on this. Thanks for the free month….!

First of all, I’m a Tesla lover (not a hater). It’s an absolute joy to drive my car…and that’s my point…I enjoy driving it!

EAP…worth 20/month IMO.
I'm interested what calculations you (and others commenting in threads like this) use to price this out.

For me, the calculation would start with the price of the trim level I have to upgrade to, in order to get the ADAS features I want on my next vehicle (tesla hater here so it won't be a tesla). Then I'd divide that cost by the 96 (since I keep my cars 8 years) in order to come up with a monthly value. If the trim level is $5000 extra, that would be roughly $55 extra per month.

I'm a tesla hater, but I will say, at the $99/month (and the ability to subscribe only when you want it), tesla is now offering a better deal than legacy car companies. I'll admit, on the whole, FSDv11 on highways is likely better than most if not all current ADAS offerings, and FSDv12 blows them out of the water, That statement comes with the caveat that one must pay attention CLOSELY at all times but that is true for almost all other ADAS systems, and for the majority of use of the current sole L3 offering. With tesla, there is always room for an update to improve the ADAS further. So you are not stuck with 'older' tech 8 years down the road.*

As a tesla hater, I will say I miss the option of plain cruise control that I set and the car maintains and it is up to me as the driver to make adjustments. TACC is not that, and overrules me far too often, thus slowly me down when I shouldn't be slowed down (like on highway 60 in Northern Ontario where the speed limit is 80kph but the car won't stick to that when it sees a highway number sign.)

And, as a tesla hater, I'll say it is a crap shoot that any update won't bork the ADAS to make it unusable.

Maybe that's why you set such a low value on EAP. What you subscribe to is not necessarily what you'll always have.

* my previous car had basic cruise control. When we replaced it after 8 years, it still had basic cruise control and a NAV that was out of date (but I wasn't about to pay $400 to have it updates, I bought a garmin which also added a dash cam.) Tech was advancing and we were looking for a car that had blind spot warning/indicator/camera (I saw that on a Kia and decided I wanted that), adaptive cruise control (we had had that 7 years ago on a rental Volvo and knew we wanted it), lane keep/departure warning (we're getting old and drifting more often) and emergency braking, plus a better backup camera and possibly parallel parking capability. The tesla had most of that (blind spot came later in an update and parking sucked up until lately) so that, plus immediate availability is how we ended up in a tesla. While they worked we liked the auto wipers (those were another new feature to us) but of course they no longer work (reason 1XX I hate my tesla.)

I'm interested what calculations you (and others commenting in threads like this) use to price this out.

For me, the calculation would start with the price of the trim level I have to upgrade to, in order to get the ADAS features I want on my next vehicle (tesla hater here so it won't be a tesla). Then I'd divide that cost by the 96 (since I keep my cars 8 years) in order to come up with a monthly value. If the trim level is $5000 extra, that would be roughly $55 extra per month.

I'm a tesla hater, but I will say, at the $99/month (and the ability to subscribe only when you want it), tesla is now offering a better deal than legacy car companies. I'll admit, on the whole, FSDv11 on highways is likely better than most if not all current ADAS offerings, and FSDv12 blows them out of the water, That statement comes with the caveat that one must pay attention CLOSELY at all times but that is true for almost all other ADAS systems, and for the majority of use of the current sole L3 offering. With tesla, there is always room for an update to improve the ADAS further. So you are not stuck with 'older' tech 8 years down the road.*

As a tesla hater, I will say I miss the option of plain cruise control that I set and the car maintains and it is up to me as the driver to make adjustments. TACC is not that, and overrules me far too often, thus slowly me down when I shouldn't be slowed down (like on highway 60 in Northern Ontario where the speed limit is 80kph but the car won't stick to that when it sees a highway number sign.)

And, as a tesla hater, I'll say it is a crap shoot that any update won't bork the ADAS to make it unusable.

Maybe that's why you set such a low value on EAP. What you subscribe to is not necessarily what you'll always have.

* my previous car had basic cruise control. When we replaced it after 8 years, it still had basic cruise control and a NAV that was out of date (but I wasn't about to pay $400 to have it updates, I bought a garmin which also added a dash cam.) Tech was advancing and we were looking for a car that had blind spot warning/indicator/camera (I saw that on a Kia and decided I wanted that), adaptive cruise control (we had had that 7 years ago on a rental Volvo and knew we wanted it), lane keep/departure warning (we're getting old and drifting more often) and emergency braking, plus a better backup camera and possibly parallel parking capability. The tesla had most of that (blind spot came later in an update and parking sucked up until lately) so that, plus immediate availability is how we ended up in a tesla. While they worked we liked the auto wipers (those were another new feature to us) but of course they no longer work (reason 1XX I hate my tesla.)
That’s wayyyy too deep for me. For me, it’s what I’m willing to pay for within EAP ($20/month) that makes it more enjoyable….auto lane change. Period.
Summon will add another $5 when it works…same for banish eventually. I’d pay $30/month.

Repeat, I LIKE to drive my car.

As a Tesla hater, why not sell your car and get something you love? Cars should be fun…not a source of ire in your life.

If Tesla allows FSD license owners always keep the license with our profile for car transfers, the 12k becomes worth it. Especially if I could rent a Tesla and login with my profile to have FSD. (Even if Tesla just charged a transfer fee of like $25 or $50 for a rental and $500 for an ownership transfer to a new car. There are so many things Tesla could do for pricing to make it enticing like they just did for subscription.

I suspect something will change with the license ownership option. Also great for customer retention. You keep your license as long as you own at least one Tesla.
My humble suggestion: two levels of FSD, commercial and non-commercial. Non-commercial moves from one Tesla to the next you buy. This will keep people in the Tesla universe indefinitely. Just a thought.

Rich

Reactions: CDennis100 and SO16
I have been using FSD in the NYC area for over a year. I use it for well above 90% of my driving. I include highway driving in the calculation because I let the car change lanes and route between highways (technically EAP features). It has progressively gotten better with each update. 12.3.x for city streets is very impressive. I drive 3 hours a day (26 miles each way) through Long Island deep into the heart of Brooklyn. As long as you understand its limitations it is way more relaxing than driving myself 100% of the time. I know exactly when I need to take over (bus lanes, complex unprotected left turns). Once you learn how it works, there is no need for hyperstressing.

Would I pay $99 per month to pay for it? Yes. If I didn’t already own it. I bought a Tesla just for this feature, as with such a heavy commute I need it. I’ve been doing this commute for 20+ years including multiple manual transmission vehicles.

If I was given a free trial for 1 month, and only used it a couple of times, I would agree that it is not there yet. That would be because I didn’t learn FSD yet. There is a learning curve to FSD, a few drives is not enough to understand it.

My wife doesn’t use it on our 3 (the 3 was initially mine, then I added a Y to the stable). Both were used with <30k miles direct from Tesla (off leases). They came with AB and FSD (I was looking for those). The price was only slightly higher than those without, so it was well worth the investment vs. $15k (at the time) or $200 per month.

There is no better all around automated driving experience. If you make a list and check off boxes, some have advantages in one or two categories, but FSD checks off the most boxes, and does so at a reasonable price, especially now at $99 per month.

If I was given a free trial for 1 month, and only used it a couple of times, I would agree that it is not there yet. That would be because I didn’t learn FSD yet. There is a learning curve to FSD, a few drives is not enough to understand it.
I agree with that. Learning how to use this (under development) feature is the key to getting the most out of it. It will only get better.

Reactions: KLam and SO16
Nice thing about the FSDS rental pricing is that you can turn it on and off when you choose. If you are driving very little, you can let it lapse, but if you have a big trip coming up, where you will be going long stretches and along unfamiliar routes, the $99 may certainly provide great value.
No matter what you individually decide, Tesla is getting a $Billion worth of free advertising with this announcement.

Reactions: Gordon87 and SO16
So, yeah, FSD v12 is pretty decent and far better than the terrifying performance of v11, but it still manages to scare the crap out of me and especially my primary passenger in certain scenarios. In particular, it hits an exit ramp near me at full speed, jags quickly to the right to get onto the ramp, and then jags quickly back to the left to continue straight down the ramp, and doesn't slow down until waaaay too close to the end of the ramp. (Yes, I have FSD in "Chill" mode.) None of that nonsense was necessary, as there was no traffic around us. Oh, and what's with the crazy jackrabbit starts leaving stop signs and traffic signals, even in Chill mode? FFS, it's just crazy driving and as a result I'm probably going to turn it off altogether unless there are radical improvements before the end of the trial this month.

We have EAP, btw, and we understand its limitations on the v11 stack. So when we get to that exit ramp I mention above, I simply exit NOA and smoothly exit the highway myself. When they eventually move EAP to the v12 stack, I think we'll really have something worth using on a regular basis, because once we're off the limited access highway I can just use TACC and steer myself on the local roads.

"Chill" mode.

Chill mode
Setting Profile to Chill, according to the Autopilot configuration screen, sets following distance, not acceleration.
1000029245.jpg

As a Tesla hater, why not sell your car and get something you love? Cars should be fun…not a source of ire in your life.
Cuz I love my husband and he loves the car.

And we remain a single car family and hang onto our cars for 8 years to limit the environmental impact of our car ownership.

Regular readers here know the car will be sold as soon as he dies if he dies before the 8 years is up. Funnily enough if I die before the 8 years are up, he'll sell it too. But only to trade up to an MX!

BTW, Mr. "loves his tesla" refused to use fsds on city streets tonight, but turned it on by accident when he went to engage the now non-existent-for-fsd-profile-users TACC. It did just fine but on the way home he still refused to engage fsds until the highway and then had to disengage when the car attempted a rapid slowdown and two lane change to make our exit at the last moment after leaving those lanes free in an attempt to pass a car in the middle lane.

That sort of ADAS is not worth even $20 per month.

Cuz I love my husband and he loves the car.
This things we do for love! I have to say though that I find it odd (and amusing) that you go out of your way to join a Tesla forum…rubbing salt in your own wound?

Back on topic…I went to use FSD again this weekend. The way there was fine…the way back I disabled FSD and reverted back to TACC+ALC / NoAP. I find that combination of automation better for me. I prefer the visualizations of FSD but the default visualizations have improved a lot and I don’t like the choices FSD makes. I might pay $99 a month for what amounts to the EAP suite of technology.

I’m undecided about subscribing to FSD at $99/month. I drive 12,000 miles a year if traveling, maybe 10,000 or so locally if I’m not.

With that metric, assuming I subscribe for an entire year, and drive 12,000 miles/year, FSD cost me $0.10/mile. That’s not the entire valuation. City driving is likely 25MPH, considering time at traffic lights/stop signs/etc. On that basis, assuming 10,000 miles of local driving annually, that’s 400 hours/year behind the wheel. Using that metric FSD costs me $3/hour. That seems pretty reasonable for a product that can be used anytime day or night, 24/7.

If I add another 2000 travel miles, averaging 50MPH (charging stops/restroom breaks), that’s another 40 hours driving, bringing the FSD cost to under $2.75/hour. Clearly the more miles driven the lower the cost/mile.

The added $0.10/mile for FSD seems expensive compared to my $0.033/mile cost of home charging, but in terms of cost/hour it seems like quite a bargain. The point is that what someone is willing to pay is likely related to how they view using it. As a senior citizen, the ability to drive in poor conditions, or at night, in congestion, or on a long tedious trip with FSD capability may well be worth $3/hour as an insurance policy for year round driving, and basically a “no-brainer” as a monthly rental when driving long tedious travel routes.

Reactions: Yelobird
This things we do for love! I have to say though that I find it odd (and amusing) that you go out of your way to join a Tesla forum…rubbing salt in your own wound?

1. The car keeps changing and tesla does not document well. So I find out things like how to get the mini music controls back when I swipe it away by accident.

2. Not all updates are problem free. Having learned that when a fun holiday update took away my defrost button on the home screen, I no longer update automatically. Usually it is 100 or more days between updates since I am being cautious especially after updating away my radar. I ended up updating more frequently after I lost my working Auto wipers because each update that came out I was hoping would fix what had been broken in a previous update. No such luck yet!

Even if there is something that I want, I will hold off as long as possible to make sure that the update that includes that item is stable and doesn't damage my car. There are people who had multiple issues over Christmas because they were jumping on every single update as soon as it came out hoping it would be the holiday update. Many of them ended up having to update repeatedly and many, at least it seems like many looking at the reports here, ended up having to have service calls to replace cameras.

I also have learned that one can update their car past a point and then be left behind waiting for the update stream that they actually want. So people who went from 2024.2.x up to 2024.8. X are now leaving for the FSD V12 to come to their computers. In the meantime they are watching us enjoying our trial of V12.

3. We have FSD on our car because it was bought with the car. As a result I paid a fortune for a feature and I need to know the best way to use that feature. The experiences of people on TMC have been valuable for being able to anticipate the weaknesses of FSD and knowing how to anticipate when I'm going to have to change lanes or disengage because I want to be able to avoid what could be an emergency situation due to FSD shortcomings.

We don't use FSD off of highways, we do test it from time to time and have never been impressed until V12. But safe driving even with V12 requires more attention not only to the cars around you but to your own car acting erratically while you are responsible for its actions. I'd rather just be responsible for my actions.

I hate the tesla but TMC helps keep me safe and informed while stuck with the car.

Reactions: mborkow
1. The car keeps changing and tesla does not document well. So I find out things like how to get the mini music controls back when I swipe it away by accident.

2. Not all updates are problem free. Having learned that when a fun holiday update took away my defrost button on the home screen, I no longer update automatically. Usually it is 100 or more days between updates since I am being cautious especially after updating away my radar. I ended up updating more frequently after I lost my working Auto wipers because each update that came out I was hoping would fix what had been broken in a previous update. No such luck yet!

Even if there is something that I want, I will hold off as long as possible to make sure that the update that includes that item is stable and doesn't damage my car. There are people who had multiple issues over Christmas because they were jumping on every single update as soon as it came out hoping it would be the holiday update. Many of them ended up having to update repeatedly and many, at least it seems like many looking at the reports here, ended up having to have service calls to replace cameras.

I also have learned that one can update their car past a point and then be left behind waiting for the update stream that they actually want. So people who went from 2024.2.x up to 2024.8. X are now leaving for the FSD V12 to come to their computers. In the meantime they are watching us enjoying our trial of V12.

3. We have FSD on our car because it was bought with the car. As a result I paid a fortune for a feature and I need to know the best way to use that feature. The experiences of people on TMC have been valuable for being able to anticipate the weaknesses of FSD and knowing how to anticipate when I'm going to have to change lanes or disengage because I want to be able to avoid what could be an emergency situation due to FSD shortcomings.

We don't use FSD off of highways, we do test it from time to time and have never been impressed until V12. But safe driving even with V12 requires more attention not only to the cars around you but to your own car acting erratically while you are responsible for its actions. I'd rather just be responsible for my actions.

I hate the tesla but TMC helps keep me safe and informed while stuck with the car.
I’ve lost a couple of car debates to my wife so a lot of respect for sticking with it and I guess I’m glad TMC gives you a place to both learn and vent. In your position, I’d make my spouse go figure all that stuff out as punishment for sticking me with a car I hated :)

I have enjoyed good’ole tried true AutoPilot so much on my 2021 S that I may not do it either after trying out V12.X. I have been able to cover my interior camera with electrical tape and not be nagged every time I look at the MCU.

I would actually pay $99 a month for none of those nags 😂🤣

Same here. Only thing I'm really missing is summon which will now never work as well as my P85D's with real USS even if I was willing to pay $6K for it.

• Love
Reactions: boonedocks