Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD price to go up $1k and Enhanced Summon release date, both ~August 16.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
b_tching and moaning...Kiss the $3000 FSD good-bye forever. Kind of like complaining why a Tesla stock share is over $250 when it used to be $50. Should of got in early.

Except you can buy into the Tesla stock with any amount of money. If I’m making payments in a $40k Tesla it might be pretty hard to find a $7k chunk of money then to spend on FSD. More so, if you don’t order with the car now, but decide after a year to order it, will someone offer financing for that? When S & X were the only cars you had high rollers that probably wouldn’t worry about another $5k to $7k down the road, however, for us lower end people that could represent like 15% or the total cost of the car!

Musk might do well offering it as a service on the Model 3. Either day passes, or monthly service, maybe with a 3 month minimum commitment to try and avoid people just getting during a busy holiday month and then cancel or something. Then people that know it’ll be something they do daily can buy it out right, but other people might just spend $200 to $300 a year using it a handful of times. That pure profit for Musk and co

Elon said in a follow up tweet that FSD should be $3k less for people who paid for EAP. Hopefully this means they’ll lower the price for us to $3k soon, which I think makes it more reasonable as a pre-order offer (with no immediate benefit).

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
You're letting 'em off light.

View attachment 430351

That's the description that I checked the box and paid $3k for. That's what I expect.
Well... They have to start somewhere I guess. That last paragraph says it all. If you paid $3K and expected to go from nothing to all that was promised in a few short years then I'd imagine you're going to be very disappointed for a while.

If you have legacy Enhanced AP, then yes, absolutely a loan for vaporware.

If you don't, then you are getting something for your money (obviously nothing close to FSD but still...). Summon (soon to be Enhanced/Advanced Summon), NoA, Autopark, Auto lane change....

So not worth $6k. That's a hard pass for me. I'll gladly pay that when the car's able to shuttle my kids & their friends around on its own.

Elon said in a follow up tweet that FSD should be $3k less for people who paid for EAP. Hopefully this means they’ll lower the price for us to $3k soon, which I think makes it more reasonable as a pre-order offer (with no immediate benefit).

And yet another “lol, suckers” to those of us who were lied to about it being more expensive later.

Reactions: Thomas Edison
So not worth $6k. That's a hard pass for me. I'll gladly pay that when the car's able to shuttle my kids & their friends around on its own.

Same sentiment here. Even at 6K, I have a hard time justifying it.
IMO what you will see is,
- Stop sign and red light recognition
- Enhanced summon (which will be too slow to be of any real use).

.. and that's it. It's not going to ferry your dog or your kids or pick you up from the airport.
This is hardly worth $6K, much less $7K. I could see me paying $2k-$3k, not $6k.

And when/if they do roll out robo taxi, heck just take the robo taxi. Why bother buying a car at that point.

Even if the pricing of it goes up for now, there's no way to really predict what kind of pricing models and tiers may exist in the future.

For all we know, it could become different prices for different purposes or even subscription based.

Here’s a couple ways to look at if your holding period is five years as an assumption. Some will be longer which makes the math even more favorable.

1.) Buy with the car is preferred. Roll it all up into the financing and use other people’s money at relatively low interest.

2.) 6000 is a lot. Though it’s broken down to $100 per month for five years. Or if you drive a lot, the per mile FSD might look to be pretty cheap.

3.) Your risk of getting nothing for your money gets lower as time goes on. You get EAP equivalency immediately.

People who leased a car with FSD in late 2016 is getting nothing. Those who put up 2-3K on top of 5K probably sees hw 3 in 2020.

Model 3 owners who bought EAP or have the current AP is very spoiled by a relatively mature product by AP2 standards which came out end 2016.

I did not have TACC day 1, did not have proximity sensors and most cameras disabled for almost two years.

After two months I got autosteer at 25 mph on the highway only and not local roads.

Thinking about how crazy that is until today.

Despite giving Tesla a interest free, unsecured loan and paying to be a beta tester I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the journey.

Would do it again.

6000 is a lot but there’s ways to take a bite out of the sting.

Put it on a credit card with awesome reward tiers.
Card with no interest.
Move balance around to a future card with interest promos.

Pay off credit card with lower rate heloc if possible before hitting high rates.

Do it!

I was waiting for the price to drop to maybe $3K. At $7K no way I would every buy it for personal use. They really need to offer a pay-per-mile service, maybe I'd use it a dozen times a year.

It also makes no sense for people leasing a Model 3 to buy FSD.
You will have to return the car back to Tesla in 36 months.

FSD as a service will make it tempting to try it every now and then.

Reactions: Big Dog
And yet another “lol, suckers” to those of us who were lied to about it being more expensive later.

I don’t get this response at all. It is more expensive now for new buyers, it has been more expensive for EAP buyers, and next month it will be even more expensive for all buyers. It seems crazy to be upset that someone somewhere might pay the same as you did for the same thing.