Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD rewrite will go out on Oct 20 to limited beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the FSD beta, Tesla would have a much steeper hill to climb to justify that an accident was the driver's fault. We've seen the fsd beta do maneuvers that require split second decision making on behalf of the driver.
At low speeds fatal accidents are unlikely .. but one thing to watch out for are pedestrians. If there is a pedestrian / bike related accident - Tesla could be forced to turn of FSD.

This possibility won't stop Musk from releasing the FSD to GA, however.

Another tricky one: how will FSD deal with pulling over for fire trucks or ambulances?
Is there even a external microphone to pickup the sirens before they're visible?
Even if they are visible the current fsd beta doesn't seem to recognize them as emergency vehicles as demonstrated in a Chuck Cook video yesterday.

Screenshot 2020-11-19 135216 emerg veh.jpg

See the scene above at 6:27

Last edited:
Even if they are visible the current fsd beta doesn't seem to recognize them as emergency vehicles as demonstrated in a Chuck Cook video yesterday.

View attachment 609995

See the scene above at 6:27
I don't think this means that they do not recognize them.
I think that right now in the FSD display, we are only allowed to see the wireframes with the determined state of car.
  • Red bounding box is for stopped cars
  • Blue is for cars moving in the same direction
  • Green is lead car.
  • We've seen purple/magenta for cross traffic / perpendicular
  • Yellow is for oncoming traffic.
There were reports of classifications for emergency response vehicles being in the firmware since ~ August https://twitter.com/greentheonly/status/1292505897420427269

Reactions: powertoold
I was asking how Tesla will recognize situations where the car should not move from a standstill (or pull over if it’s already moving) upon hearing a siren from an ambulance or fire truck, before identifying it with cameras because it’s not visible yet (around the corner, etc.)

Most humans recognize this sound and do their best to clear a path for a potentially zooming by emergency vehicle BEFORE making visual contact. How will FSD do this?

Most humans recognize this sound and do their best to clear a path for a potentially zooming by emergency vehicle BEFORE making visual contact. How will FSD do this?

I think you're confusing what humans use for a "get ready to pull over" state, versus what we actually use as the signal to pull over. If you hear a siren, there's no way of knowing whether it's on the same street as you. You can vaguely hear the direction of the sound, but it's not actually possible to know whether it's on a cross-street behind you, or coming up directly behind you until you actually see those flashing lights.

I think you're confusing what humans use for a "get ready to pull over" state, versus what we actually use as the signal to pull over. If you hear a siren, there's no way of knowing whether it's on the same street as you. You can vaguely hear the direction of the sound, but it's not actually possible to know whether it's on a cross-street behind you, or coming up directly behind you until you actually see those flashing lights.

Does it matter where the emergency vehicle is at the time you hear it? The best thing to do is safely pull over and create a safe path BEFORE visual contact is made, just in case the emergency vehicle needs to go through the piece of road the car is occupying. That’s kind of the point of loud sirens ;)

By the way, even if the emergency vehicle is on a cross street and you do see it, you still need to pull over in case it makes a turn and needs to move into your path - even against the flow of traffic, albeit more uncommon. Only when you see the vehicle move away from you should it be safe to resume driving.

Does it matter where the emergency vehicle is at the time you hear it? The best thing to do is safely pull over and create a safe path BEFORE visual contact is made, just in case the emergency vehicle needs to go through the piece of road the car is occupying. That’s kind of the point of loud sirens ;)

By the way, even if the emergency vehicle is on a cross street and you do see it, you still need to pull over in case it makes a turn and needs to move into your path - even against the flow of traffic, albeit more uncommon. Only when you see the vehicle move away from you should it be safe to resume driving.

Maybe this driving behavior varies state by state? We get so many sirens for various things near DC, I honestly can't imagine pulling over every time I heard a siren. It would really confuse drivers around here, and could possibly cause an accident.

When I hear a siren, I check my mirrors. If I see the emergency vehicle coming up behind me (or in front of me turning toward incoming traffic), that's when I pull over. If that wasn't sufficient, they wouldn't give drivers licenses to deaf individuals.

And even still, all Tesla's have in-cabin microphones for voice commands, right? That wouldn't be binaural, but it would work in a pinch. After all, you usually don't need your windows down to hear a siren from inside the car.

Is there any indication that the limited beta has been expanded to a wider group yet?

I haven’t really seen videos from any newer you tubers or any forum data to indicated.

Nor had there similarly been in notable beta new beta versions or even for a while.

Seems on it’s just stalled on data collection with a VERY small group of testers.

We can hope for a Xmas gift but it doesn’t feel likely.

Is there any indication that the limited beta has been expanded to a wider group yet?

I haven’t really seen videos from any newer you tubers or any forum data to indicated.

Nor had there similarly been in notable beta new beta versions or even for a while.

Seems on it’s just stalled on data collection with a VERY small group of testers.

We can hope for a Xmas gift but it doesn’t feel likely.
2020.44.10.2 was just released last Friday night (a week ago) and there were new beta testers added at that time. If the pattern of the last few weeks is followed there could be a new version tonight.

2020.44.10.2 was just released last Friday night (a week ago) and there were new beta testers added at that time. If the pattern of the last few weeks is followed there could be a new version tonight.

I was under the impression that the only beta FSD versions are;

I have the following installed and it’s not beta FSD software:

I wouldn’t expect:

to be a beta FSD version but just a general release.

What am I missing here ?

I was under the impression that the only beta FSD versions are;

I have the following installed and it’s not beta FSD software:

I wouldn’t expect:

to be a beta FSD version but just a general release.

What am I missing here ?
2020.40.8.11 was released about Oct. 22nd and was followed by 2020.40.8.12, 2020.40.8.13 and finally 2020.44.10.2 last week. The FSD betas are on a different numbering track from the wide release versions that us mere mortals have.