Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD rewrite will go out on Oct 20 to limited beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
here's an interesting question that occurred to my do you think we will, in the general release see the " active dot" representation which by its very nature will be very jumpy and noise filled or maybe an intermediate representation like what the traffic lines, turn markers , cars, cones and trashcans are rendered? it is a lot of processing just getting the dots and their color registrations let alone making that into a more uniform view , but I could see that ( the white line/. grey object) being the future renderings versus such an active display for the beta testers. unfortunately it is a lot more code going from raw result to the cleaner smoother view. a couple of revs back if you remember the "dancing car shapes" before they were able to edge register front and back . once we all feel it is working and reliably seeing intersections and activity ( now it just suppresses that at a certain distance out, like when cars turn right or left ) , I could see a smoother view as smooth as the way it shows the traffic lights , speed limit signs and trash cans moving by. seeing that as the representation of an intersection would be slick! ( one can dream....)

There is no way that UI will make it into general release. It's a very rough dev UI.

Tesla did show a production UI during the "autonomy day" in 2019, and I think the consumer-facing UI will look like that.
UI is improving rather quickly. They can probably change the threshholds for things to visualize, teach the neural network to be less jumpy, zoom a bit more cleverly, make the boxes into 3D mesh objects, lower the opacity etc and make it look pretty clean. I think it’s a winner, it will amaze people and help winning the trust that the car is really freaking good at seeing things.

Reactions: WarpedOne
UI is improving rather quickly. They can probably change the threshholds for things to visualize, teach the neural network to be less jumpy, zoom a bit more cleverly, make the boxes into 3D mesh objects, lower the opacity etc and make it look pretty clean. I think it’s a winner, it will amaze people and help winning the trust that the car is really freaking good at seeing things.
Better yet, they could get rid of the visualizations and people could keep their eyes on the road. Trust in a system that they explicitly tell you not to trust seems like a bad thing! Seeing things is not the most difficult part of FSD, understanding things is.

No one is going to watch the visualization for the many thousands of hours necessary to determine the accuracy of the perception. I think a lot of people underestimate the reliability required.
How would we determine if Tesla needs to add lidar to their cars?

Thousands of hours? You can do this in minutes with the current wide release. From the random scale (i.e. the "banana" effect to object position when you pass them and detection switches from front to side cams), to the ~3 second lag... but IMO this is not down to the lack of LIDAR: it is down to the UI being a low-priority bolt-on.

Reactions: mikes_fsd
I don't personally have an issue with the current beta UI. It does the job. I'm sure they will polish it up over at some point but I don't think that's necessary for a wider release. The UI is a supplement to my own eyes in order to ensure that the car sees what I see. I don't care so much how it displays what it sees as long as I can decipher what it sees.

Reactions: DanCar
I don't personally have an issue with the current beta UI. It does the job. I'm sure they will polish it up over at some point but I don't think that's necessary for a wider release. The UI is a supplement to my own eyes in order to ensure that the car sees what I see. I don't care so much how it displays what it sees as long as I can decipher what it sees.
Well, you may not care - but Elon does. So, we'll get a much polished UI - whenever we get the FDS (beta).

Attachments

• D60C84C3-00AC-479B-BE90-2A35C3D96E8B.jpeg
    D60C84C3-00AC-479B-BE90-2A35C3D96E8B.jpeg
    312.3 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Looks like @greentheonly found his way into the AP/FSD Dev UI and settings.

Dev UI has a toggle for an FSD Default preset and a Production Default preset. I assume the FSD Defaults is what FSD Beta is running.

EowLEqNXEAAasVm

EowLLXRXcAQ23h2

There's a lot of settings, found a reference to "Selfie Driver Monitor", but it doesn't seem to be enabled by default yet for the FSD or Production presets.

iFncUBg.png

and another toggle enabled for FSD called "California Stop" which I assume is the slow rolling past of stop signs seen in FSD Beta videos

WheqYi7.png

And not to add kindle to the bonfire of debate about HD maps again, but take this as you will. Looks like Tesla is using mapped intersections, stop signs, traffic lights, lanes, stoplines, and direction of traffic to aid FSD.

EowT33TXcAIt6eE

Last edited: