Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD rewrite will go out on Oct 20 to limited beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
USA
Big news! FSD going out on Oct 20 to limited beta.

ddnU7xI.png

If we don't get in the limited beta, I am sure there will be lots of leaked videos of the FSD.

What? Did I just hear that he said the release is going to be limited to me?

Are you an expert and careful driver? :)

Seriously, does Elon's reference to safe drivers mean that FSD won't go out to Early Access but instead will go out to a new group of drivers that Tesla considers to be safe drivers based on data they collected?

Seriously, does Elon's reference to safe drivers mean that FSD won't go out to Early Access but instead will go out to a new group of drivers that Tesla considers to be safe drivers based on data they collected?

Select group of safe, careful and expert drivers, in USA I presume.

In EU we only get privileges to pay for FSD, and not the possibility to use any of the functions...

It's a private beta.
As a private beta, they can slice and dice it as they want.
upload_2020-10-12_9-56-24.png

So I would think this should go to bad and unsafe drivers first. They are the ones who really need it! Seriously though it is nice to see this actually starting to be available.

It is going out to safe drivers only because the "FSD" is super beta and will require a lot of supervision. So Tesla needs responsible drivers to supervise it.

It'll be interesting to see how they determine expert and careful drivers.

Fred over at Electrek claims that drivers will still have to keep their hands on the steering wheel. Is there any confirmation of that? I think it would be awkward if the car needs to make a 90 degree turn and it turns the steering wheel quickly.

Isn't GM revealing their Hummer EV October 20th?

Seems like a strange coincidence Tesla picks the 1 day GM has something to show.

Nah. I doubt that Elon cares about upstaging GM's reveal of the Hummer EV. I think it has more to do with Tesla's Q3 earnings call being Oct 21. It gives Tesla something big to announce during the earnings call. Not to mention, Tesla can probably claim more FSD revenue.

It'll be interesting to see how they determine expert and careful drivers.

Fred over at Electrek claims that drivers will still have to keep their hands on the steering wheel. Is there any confirmation of that? I think it would be awkward if the car needs to make a 90 degree turn and it turns the steering wheel quickly.
That's just Fred doing Fred things, he wants to sensationalize the message that has been on AP cars since AP1.
That message probably is the same in the beta.
reminder.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
First, a coast to coast demonstration is not realistic. Automatic charging would be required.

Next, with all the construction that is going on, and many construction sites that do not follow "rules of the road" with proper lane marking, etc., the country (US) is not yet ready everywhere.

Here, in NW Indiana, I'm impressed with the new efforts to generate quality lane markings. The use of a solid white line to define these new temporary lanes, allows my Tesla to stay in that lane and not attempt lane changes.

I'm convinced that Tesla FSD will eventually work everywhere. Until the people responsible for proper lane markings, etc. learn to follow a nationwide standard, it may be necessary for the Tesla "fleet" to drive routes and certify where it works. That would put pressure on the local jurisdictions to "get their acts together" and mark the roads properly.

Roads that do not have any marking will need to follow the DOT minimum standard to paint a dashed yellow line to identify the center of the road. A Tesla can then "mark it's lane".

Oh I see a score coming for my driving ability, and would love to know it along with the scoring criteria. It's needed for their insurance anyway; even show it realtime like energy. Make it a game if possible.

I often wonder how I'll be judged by my own car. Surely not just speed related to the speed limit or how many yellow lights I pass. No, that's too easy. I believe the right way would be a measure of speed vs space and clarity of surroundings + road and vehicle conditions. Like every driver my age, we think we're the best and can race city streets quite safely while also breaking every speed limit sign there is. Slow at intersections but then take-off on straight aways, there should be a way to score points for caution, when and where it counts. Parking lots... ultra slow at each row intersection, you know... safe. Bonus points for taking it easy on the suspension.

Look, the car goes 140 mph, so 100 should be plenty safe for the car on good clear roads and proper tire air/tread. Remember, faster driving actually decreases time on the road, and therefore the probability of some idiot crossing into your path. In fact, the faster I go, the more you stand still... it's super safe! Think of Dash from Pixar... so easy.

Man, I'm going to be selected for Beta FSD on points alone! This is my FSD resume Tesla :)

(PS, I promise I'll look at the road more. It's just so boring at city speed limits that it doesn't require much attention.)