Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD rewrite will go out on Oct 20 to limited beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is the only company that can actually do a rewrite, deploy it to their fleet, and then regather all the necessary real world data / miles within a reasonable time frame. Other companies have to work with what they have since they've invested so much already into their simulations and contracted drivers.

*Other* companies don't need to do rewrites because they use the right approach from the start. ;)

How long is all this FSD equipment warrantied for? If Tesla comes out with Robotaxies and you put your car on it. If it were to crash who would be responsible. What is to stop from Tesla saying sorry it was a camera failure and it is out of warranty. Leaving you with high legal costs because someone got hurt

How long is all this FSD equipment warrantied for? If Tesla comes out with Robotaxies and you put your car on it. If it were to crash who would be responsible. What is to stop from Tesla saying sorry it was a camera failure and it is out of warranty. Leaving you with high legal costs because someone got hurt

Legally, the automaker is responsible if their autonomous car has an accident. So if AP was classified as autonomous, then Tesla would be responsible.

Legally, the automaker is responsible if their autonomous car has an accident. So if AP was classified as autonomous, then Tesla would be responsible.

According to what law? I'm not aware of any current law in the US that makes the automaker responsible. And it certainly won't be cut and dried like that. What if the crash was because the owner failed to properly maintain the vehicle? (Like a tire blew out because it was completely worn out.)

• Love
Reactions: mikes_fsd
According to what law? I'm not aware of any current law in the US that makes the automaker responsible. And it certainly won't be cut and dried like that. What if the crash was because the owner failed to properly maintain the vehicle? (Like a tire blew out because it was completely worn out.)

I should clarify. I don't think there is a law. But the SAE definitions say that a L4 or L5 car is responsible for the driving. So if it went to court, I am sure good lawyers could make a strong case for the liability of the automaker if the accident was the result of the actions of the autonomous driving system. Naturally, the other lawyers would argue the opposite. But I think it would be pretty hard to argue that the driver is responsible. If the automaker says that the car is autonomous and says or implies that the human is a passenger and does not need to pay attention, then I don't see how you could hold the human in the car responsible.

In the case of a tire blow out, no, that would be different since it would have nothing to do with the autonomous driving system. The automaker would not be responsible for an accident like that. It would depend on whether the accident was deemed the fault of the autonomous driving system or not. That's just my take.

• Disagree
Reactions: mikes_fsd
Is there any knowledge at this point whether the NN in this rewrite is yet outputting steering or acceleration? This was indicated as a work in progress by Karpathy, however Musk has focused more on hyping the '4D labelling' aspect. Ergo, the appearance is that the primary advancement in the rewrite was labelling rather than absorbing more of the problem. (I am not saying one or the other is a more important step, as the proof will be in the pudding)

Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
diplomat. Know you are negative towards the Tesla technology, but think you are now making this stuff up to cast doubt.
These things and liability will be well worked out prior to mass distribution.

I am not making stuff up just to cast doubt because I don't like Tesla's FSD approach.

As Powertoold just reminded us, Elon said that Tesla would be responsible for a robotaxi related accident. So he said Tesla would assume responsibility.

Also autonomous driving means the human is not driving. If an automaker sells an autonomous driving system and says the human does not need to pay attention to the driving, then I don't see how the human would be held responsible unless it was an accident that had nothing to do with the driving.

Is there any knowledge at this point whether the NN in this rewrite is yet outputting steering or acceleration? This was indicated as a work in progress by Karpathy, however Musk has focused more on hyping the '4D labelling' aspect. Ergo, the appearance is that the primary advancement in the rewrite was labelling rather than absorbing more of the problem. (I am not saying one or the other is a more important step, as the proof will be in the pudding)

I don't think we know the answer to that at this point.

So I'm wondering if this rewrite fixed the phantom braking that has appeared in recent builds? I've heard from numerous co-workers that have been experiencing it (me too), on both HW2.5 and 3.0 cars. So much for Tesla's regression test suites - if it's not catching this new bug in current releases, it won't catch it in this new FSD beta.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Don't get me wrong. As a Model 3 owner who paid for FSD, I would love for the FSD rewrite to be real autonomous driving. But I am skeptical. Too many false promises and disappointments. After all, AP2 was supposed to be FSD capable and then Elon admitted they needed AP3. AP3 was supposed to be FSD capable, and then Elon was like "actually, we need a rewrite". Now, he is claiming they were stuck in a local max but this rewrite is the true FSD. Let's see next week.
I don't think we'll see anything next week at all. I'll be happy with at least a confirmation that people got it.

I am not making stuff up just to cast doubt because I don't like Tesla's FSD approach.

Oh man, i have been gone a long time. I remember when you joined and we were both super pro Tesla and their software approach.

Regardless, very excited if this happens next week. One step closer to getting it into my car.

Are you an expert and careful driver? :)

Seriously, does Elon's reference to safe drivers mean that FSD won't go out to Early Access but instead will go out to a new group of drivers that Tesla considers to be safe drivers based on data they collected?
Neh, the statement that it will go out to a very exclusive group of drivers is just that that when people ask "where is this magical FSD", Elon can say "it's out there, you just don't know anyone from the exclusive group". For all we know, Elon is the only expert driver in that group.

This isn't really much to get excited about. Elon promised many things in the past, like coast to coast autonomy by end of 2017, etc. He also showed us actual videos of FSD navigating intersections, traffic lights, intersections, etc - that video was in 2016! 4 years later, nobody was able to reproduce what Elon showed in 2016 as FSD which is ready, pending only validation and regulation.

So I'm wondering if this rewrite fixed the phantom braking that has appeared in recent builds? I've heard from numerous co-workers that have been experiencing it (me too), on both HW2.5 and 3.0 cars. So much for Tesla's regression test suites - if it's not catching this new bug in current releases, it won't catch it in this new FSD beta.

According to Elon, everything's been fixed with this new rewrite :cool:

According to Elon, everything's been fixed with this new rewrite :cool:
He also claimed the latest major release of the firmware fixed the phantom braking, and immediately after that tweet tons of people said "No, it's still there"

I look forwards to the beta release in hopes to see what people experience with it.

Elon has absolutely no creditability to me when it comes to FSD stuff. Which is kinda funny because he has total creditability with me when talking about SpaceX stuff.

I pretty much see him as two people.

Elon has made the FSD race quite entertaining for the last few years though. Other FSD companies aren't making ridiculous statements and then busting their ass to live up to what they said lol.

I don't think any of us actually lost anything as consumers. Tesla's AP is and has been the best driver assistance available, so nothing to complain about there.

Elon has made the FSD race quite entertaining for the last few years though. Other FSD companies aren't making ridiculous statements and then busting their ass to live up to what they said lol.

I don't think any of us actually lost anything as consumers. Tesla's AP is and has been the best driver assistance available, so nothing to complain about there.

So you're saying its the best driver assistance available when following cars while using it?
:p