Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD rewrite will go out on Oct 20 to limited beta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He also claimed the latest major release of the firmware fixed the phantom braking, and immediately after that tweet tons of people said "No, it's still there"

I look forwards to the beta release in hopes to see what people experience with it.

Elon has absolutely no credibility to me when it comes to FSD stuff. Which is kinda funny because he has total credability with me when talking about SpaceX stuff.

I pretty much see him as two people.

Same person. Same bullshit. Different markets.

So you're saying its the best driver assistance available when following cars while using it?
:p

Any driver assistance feature requires some level of prudent use. I just find that AP is most reliable and useful when following cars, although I use it every drive, in all sorts of other situations.

If the rewrite simply improves highway NoA in a "quantum leap" way, I'd be very satisfied.

If the rewrite can eventually do intersections (wide release), I have no words. It would be a monumental / historical achievement imo.

Any driver assistance feature requires some level of prudent use. I just find that AP is most reliable and useful when following cars, although I use it every drive, in all sorts of other situations.

If the rewrite simply improves highway NoA in a "quantum leap" way, I'd be very satisfied.

If the rewrite can eventually do intersections (wide release), I have no words. It would be a monumental / historical achievement imo.

I think its going to solve my biggest gripes with NoA.

As it is now I rank the adaptive cruise control of my Jeep as being superior to the TACC/AP of the Tesla mostly due to the lack of smoothness of TACC/AP, and the lack of consistency.

That's pretty sad because the Jeep is just a very plain ordinary adaptive cruise control system on an ICE vehicle. It shouldn't even be in the league below it. FSD/EAP should be miles, and miles better than it.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
superior to the TACC/AP of the Tesla mostly due to the lack of smoothness of TACC/AP, and the lack of consistency.

In the same way, I do miss certain aspects of the "dumb" cruise control in my old car. With just plain cruise control, the car moves exactly how I expect it to. Most of the reason your Jeep is smoother and more consistent is that it's dumber, ironically.

As for AP smoothness and consistency, it's very smooth and consistent for me when following cars on a highway.

Most of the reason your Jeep is smoother and more consistent is that it's dumber, ironically.

It's really about selecting a system that does exactly what it can do on a consistent basis versus selecting a system which tries to do more than it has the capacity to do.

The Jeep adaptive cruise control is a fairly simplistic system like you said in comparison to Autopilot. It doesn't try to detect stalled cars, and it doesn't try to detect cut-ins. I don't care about these limitations as its just adaptive cruise control. It simply does what it does without making any fuss about it.

The Tesla implementation always seems one step ahead of what it can actually do.

The best example of this is auto-lane change.

There is non-confirmed auto-lane changes that have a UX issue because it requires a recent "hands on steering wheel" detection event (or volume change) before it will allow the non-confirmed auto-lane change. This can cause lane-changes to have a long pause while waiting for user input in addition to the already excessive pause before moving over. They couldn't do non-confirmed lane changes the right way with a driver monitoring system so they opted for this problematic implementation instead.

User initiated lane changes also have an issue of being enabled before the system can really handle it. As it currently exist the system will often fail the lane change if a truck is in the right most lane, and you're attempting to auto-lane change into the middle. It does because the detection bounces around.

With AP1 auto-lane change it never had this issue because it was blind, and relied 100% on the ultrasonic sensors for lane changes.

The hope with the new neural networks plus the rewrite is the system will finally have the smarts to handle what's already been implemented. It's like its finally catching up to itself.

I agree with you in that a lot of us would be perfectly happy if only that happened.

I don't think any of us actually lost anything as consumers. Tesla's AP is and has been the best driver assistance available, so nothing to complain about there.
How about someone who paid for FSD leasing a car in 2016, then in 2019 returned the car after paying off 60% of the FSD price plus interest and got ABSOLUTELY NOTHING from the FSD feature? Elon says the car is more valuable, but Tesla leasing department says the feature depreciated while in vaporware state. I guess when you say "I don't think any of us actually lost anything as consumers" you don't include money, and dismiss "nothing to complain" by saying "it's only money, I have unlimited supply of it", right? Perhaps there are people out there who don't have an unlimited supply of money and don't consider "it's only money" as a valid excuse?

Last edited:
So I'm wondering if this rewrite fixed the phantom braking that has appeared in recent builds? I've heard from numerous co-workers that have been experiencing it (me too), on both HW2.5 and 3.0 cars. So much for Tesla's regression test suites - if it's not catching this new bug in current releases, it won't catch it in this new FSD beta.
Definitely has NOT fixed phantom braking. I had 3 phantom braking events this am drive on my daily commute.

I don't think we'll see anything next week at all. I'll be happy with at least a confirmation that people got it.

Oh man, i have been gone a long time. I remember when you joined and we were both super pro Tesla and their software approach.

Regardless, very excited if this happens next week. One step closer to getting it into my car.

I remember @diplomat33 early days too. We used to spar a little bit before his eyes were opened. LOL

Last edited:
Oh man, i have been gone a long time. I remember when you joined and we were both super pro Tesla and their software approach.

I remember @diplomat33 early days too. LOL

Yeah, I used to be a super fanboy about Tesla's FSD. But that was when I was a noob owner who did not know much about FSD in general. Before I became a Tesla owner, I spent years hearing about how great AP was, watching videos of AP and reading Elon's promises about FSD. I remember watching the 2016 FSD demo and believing it. I thought Tesla had real FSD. Then I became an owner and got to experience AP for myself, the good and the bad. I also researched FSD a lot. I learned a lot about the perception, planning and driving policy required for reliable autonomous driving. I watched videos of what Waymo, Mobileye and Cruise are capable of. It raised a lot of unanswered questions about Tesla's FSD approach. I've also seen Tesla not deliver features that Waymo, Cruise, Mobileye and others have already achieved on their cars.

But I do remain pro-Tesla when it comes to EV's. I am just soured on Tesla's FSD approach. I do hope the FSD rewrite is good. I certainly want it to be good. I just hope we are not falling for hype again.

Don't get me wrong. As a Model 3 owner who paid for FSD, I would love for the FSD rewrite to be real autonomous driving. But I am skeptical. Too many false promises and disappointments. After all, AP2 was supposed to be FSD capable and then Elon admitted they needed AP3. AP3 was supposed to be FSD capable, and then Elon was like "actually, we need a rewrite". Now, he is claiming they were stuck in a local max but this rewrite is the true FSD. Let's see next week.
ROLF!

Coming from the guy who will believe any press release (or demo video) Waymo puts out!

Good one dude!

Yeah, I used to be a super fanboy about Tesla's FSD. But that was when I was a noob owner who did not know much about FSD in general. Before I became a Tesla owner, I spent years hearing about how great AP was, watching videos of AP and reading Elon's promises about FSD. I remember watching the 2016 FSD demo and believing it. I thought Tesla had real FSD. Then I became an owner and got to experience AP for myself, the good and the bad. I also researched FSD a lot. I learned a lot about the perception, planning and driving policy required for reliable autonomous driving. I watched videos of what Waymo, Mobileye and Cruise are capable of. It raised a lot of unanswered questions about Tesla's FSD approach. I've also seen Tesla not deliver features that Waymo, Cruise, Mobileye and others have already achieved on their cars.

But I do remain pro-Tesla when it comes to EV's. I am just soured on Tesla's FSD approach. I do hope the FSD rewrite is good. I certainly want it to be good. I just hope we are not falling for hype again.

I feel you, and I have a little over a month of ownership! AP is good, it has it's own issues to be fixed and FSD is non existent except for marketing videos. Part of me believes Elon even though he has a history - because his history never affected me before. We shall see in the upcoming weeks!

With that being said, I truly admire Tesla in all other aspects: the battery day was impressive to me, the safety part of the car, the design stands out. They achieved a tremendous amount of advancements being the newest (?) car manufacturer around. And they want more!

On top of that, I LOVE the fact that my car has barely any buttons. I see other cars that look like airplane cockpits and feel overwhelmed. 90% of them are so unnecessary! PS: I miss hand controls on the wipers but that's IT!

Reactions: diplomat33
ROLF!

Coming from the guy who will believe any press release (or demo video) Waymo puts out!

Good one dude!

I believe them because Waymo has shown that they have driverless FSD.

If Tesla can show that they have driverless FSD, I will believe it.

The 5 versions of Waymo Driver with revamped the software + hardware suite would like a word with you out back!

My comment was tongue and cheek hence the ;) emoji.

But there is a difference between making improvements over time to your hardware and software and doing a complete rewrite from scratch. Obviously, Waymo has made improvements to their hardware and software over time.

• Disagree
Reactions: mikes_fsd
But there is a difference between making improvements over time to your hardware and software and doing a complete rewrite from scratch. Obviously, Waymo has made improvements to their hardware and software over time.

The unfortunate fact of the matter is that in reality, we know very little about Waymo. All we know about their operations comes from carefully curated press releases; everything else is kept under NDA.

Imagine if all we knew about Tesla's Full Self Driving was the material on their website.

The unfortunate fact of the matter is that in reality, we know very little about Waymo. All we know about their operations comes from carefully curated press releases; everything else is kept under NDA.

Imagine if all we knew about Tesla's Full Self Driving was the material on their website.

That is not true. We have videos from real people not under NDA anymore. We also have blogs that detail how the tech works. We also have reports from real users on reddit who are not under NDA anymore.

• Disagree
Reactions: mikes_fsd