Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD tale of two systems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe it's because I live in a major metropolitan area. But my full self-driving is very very good. It turns well, stops at the proper times, it's probably only made two or three minor mistakes in about a thousand miles of FSD. Sometimes it won't see traffic stopping on the highway in the distance but that's obviously more of an NOA thing and comfort (avoid brakes), so I'll just go ahead and start backing down the speed using the steering wheel to help it and then it's fine.

Okay yes I haven't tried to use it in the middle of a high congestion city like the middle of Atlanta or Miami rush hour or something, I mean at that point the system is too conservative to really be able to effectively operate properly, and I have no issue with that. But like I said I live in a major metropolitan area so it deals with plenty of traffic.

And let's be clear I'm a pretty tough grader, I know quite a bit about mechanical engineering and computers. I wonder if maybe it's because I have a 2023 Model 3 and the new cameras are making a big difference, That's the only thing I could think of.

I always keep my hands on the wheel and I'm ready, but if I let it, the car can take me door to door where I want to be, The only thing is it's a little bit conservative sometimes, and it's lane choices and execution time on the highway isn't great (again NOA stack)

Software 2022.40.30.5 which is the first and only FSD software I've used. Also I'm not deep on the Tesla train, I got the car because I'm interested in technology and because I'm commuting 60 miles a day. I have plenty of criticism for the car and the brand, but what I've seen on here is completely different from my experience. The software is 85% there, A little better recognition of things (special Lane markings, decision planning in advance) and probably new cameras for intersection identification, and then to gain some confidence in the decision making to make the car a little less timid and we'll have full self-driving.

Can't comment on bad conditions though I haven't really driven it in heavy rain or snow yet.

It's kind of amazing how different peoples experiences are across different regions. I've got a couple four way stops near me that the car can't get through without major phantom braking and there's nothing abnormally difficult about these.

I have 2022.44.30.5, and I rate FSD beta as C+. This is how I would rate AP in the 2017-2018 timeframe. FSD tried to nail a traffic light control box on a left-turn attempt this week, accelerating right into the weeds instead of turning. It has made illegal left turns from the wrong lane. It has made other crazy maneuvers. Some of the performance I’ve observed is remarkable, the UI graphics are impressive, but the software is unreliable and must be constantly monitored. This makes it essentially useless except as a novelty. I’m hoping that the V11 Highway performance improvements offset the city performance problems.

I'm an FSDb fanboy. It's a mind-blowing technology. The driving performance is ok. It's nice to use when I'm not on my routine commute, like in a new part of town or new city.

It doesn't drive like a human. It makes mostly black and white decisions (I'm slowing down! I'm speeding up! Stop! See human, move over, etc.). I'm not sure when it'll ever drive like a human...

I'm an FSDb fanboy. It's a mind-blowing technology. The driving performance is ok. It's nice to use when I'm not on my routine commute, like in a new part of town or new city.

It doesn't drive like a human. It makes mostly black and white decisions (I'm slowing down! I'm speeding up! Stop! See human, move over, etc.). I'm not sure when it'll ever drive like a human...
Maybe it doesn't need to drive like a human. Perhaps it should drive safely and predictably, even if it's not quite like a human. Just as a bus or semi may drive safely and predictably, yet do not drive exactly like automobiles.

Reactions: Yelobird
Maybe it's because I live in a major metropolitan area. But my full self-driving is very very good. It turns well, stops at the proper times, it's probably only made two or three minor mistakes in about a thousand miles of FSD. Sometimes it won't see traffic stopping on the highway in the distance but that's obviously more of an NOA thing and comfort (avoid brakes), so I'll just go ahead and start backing down the speed using the steering wheel to help it and then it's fine.

Okay yes I haven't tried to use it in the middle of a high congestion city like the middle of Atlanta or Miami rush hour or something, I mean at that point the system is too conservative to really be able to effectively operate properly, and I have no issue with that. But like I said I live in a major metropolitan area so it deals with plenty of traffic....
This makes a HUGE difference at least in my case. I live in the middle of a city and FSD is marginal and almost never is able to complete even a short drive without several interventions and disengagements. Yesterday I celebrated a rare complete drive from my gym to my building of 2½ miles. However when I go out into the burbs it is TOTALY different. FSD can often drive for MANY miles without intervention or disengagement. World of difference.

It's a tale alright. A recent youtuber might have summed FSDb best when he said it does everything well as long as there's no traffic. :)

Aside from fine tuning brake, accel, and steering there's the ominous systemic cloud of indecisiveness, lag, and lack of significant progress. I doubt the current design iteration is capable of solving the big issues even in ideal weather conditions.

Last edited:
I use FSDb every day here in Nebraska. I live on the edge of town, and traffic isn't too bad. For me, FSDb drives just fine 80-90% of the time. I have longer 15-20 mile drives with zero interventions. I've learned where FSDb will inevitably mess up, and preemptively disengage in those spots. I don't find FSDb to be particularly stressful here, and I do marvel at its capabilities every time I use it. I've had a bunch of drives where at the end I thought to myself "FSDb could have made that drive perfectly fine even if I wasn't behind the wheel."

Still a long way to go, obviously, before my car will actually be self-driving. But for me, I'm happy to be participating in this evolution!

Reactions: house9 and Yelobird
I love FSD and use it all the time. I can see why people don't like it, though. My own opinion of it can vary slightly depending on the Mood and the Vibe.

FSD drives too fast if my Mood is chill (e.g. I'm not in a hurry).
FSD drives too slow if my Mood is fast and furious (e.g. I need to get somewhere like now).

FSD drives too fast if the Vibe is chill (e.g. small town weekday traffic at 10 am).
FSD drives too slow if the Vibe is fast and furious (e.g. big city rush hour traffic).

I'd really like to see FSD account for Mood and Vibe, and I think it could.

Once we're on single stack, it would be great if the right scroll button on the steering wheel let us quickly switch between Chill, Average, and Assertive to account for our Mood (since I assume the follow distance won't be supported anymore).

I think it should be able to figure out the Vibe depending on a few factors including how much space is in front of us and behind us (e.g. Vibe is fast and furious when there's a huge gap in front of us and a tiny gap behind us).

Reactions: **BatteryLow**
I wonder if maybe it's because I have a 2023 Model 3 and the new cameras are making a big difference, That's the only thing I could think of.

But my full self-driving is very very good.

Definitely will be good to get some videos of this single point of perfection in action.

I am curious whether a new 2023 solves all the problems. I doubt it, but video evidence would go a long way to answering questions. That regen bar tells the tale as usual.