Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD: To Buy or Not to Buy--the $7000 question.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Isn't HW3 supposed to be everything that will ever be needed for full autonomy?
Do you know what you don't know? In other words, until they actually achieve FSD there is no way to know that for sure. They claim it has more than enough processing power to achieve FSD, but like most complex problems the amount of effort to get those last few percentage points to achieve the goal is typically exponential in nature. Those last few percentage points might just be a LOT more training and code, or perhaps you hit a wall with that approach and you need to make some hardware change to break through that ceiling. Not a simple problem to solve with high reliability and confidence, especially the unknowns.

Right, but if they sell me FSD with HW3 and say "This is the last hardware change we will need to achieve full autonomy", and then they come back in 2 years and say "Oooo, yeah just kidding we're going to need different hardware", I'll be asking them when my appointment to swap in the hardware I paid for will be.

Right, but if they sell me FSD with HW3 and say "This is the last hardware change we will need to achieve full autonomy", and then they come back in 2 years and say "Oooo, yeah just kidding we're going to need different hardware", I'll be asking them when my appointment to swap in the hardware I paid for will be.
In that case, you should opt out of arbitration within x days of buying the car. I think x=30, but it's been nearly two years since I bought my model 3.

I don't expected they will complete the FSD even with rewrite the whole coding. ever since Elon announced to move Tesla out of California, the moral in the company has been low, my friends work there are all waiting for upcoming updates. none of them willing to leave. This becomes a serious hold back on developments. Pay 8k for a system that may never complete is not a smart idea.

Note that Stanford released their 2nd place DARPA autonomy software to the public domain, both the source code and hardware.
The year was 2007, the course was in Victorville, on city streets. Carnegie Mellon won but did not release their software or hardware.
When you consider that today GPU are hundreds of times faster than CPUs they used for DARPA 13 years ago, it makes you wonder if the problem is perhaps all software and sensors. That is, the hardware is not the limit.

The piece you would lose, is that if a hardware upgrade is necessary for FSD, you do not get the upgrade for free. That only goes to people that have ordered it with the car. (currently) As we all know, everything changes with Tesla.
Where do you get that? Please cite your authoritative source for this statement, which I believe is 100% wrong.

Reactions: EinSV
@MyMai what do you mean inability? I thought that was a mistake when a dealership was given FSD for demo purposes and they sold it and then removed FSD from the customer. the FSD is tied to the car itself is it not?
Subscription based FSD you can transfer it to new Tesla you purchased later. Like Cyertruck. Standard FSD stay with same vehicle. But when selling Y in the future, with out of date hardwares and higher price tag. It will only hindered the sale. The difference between second hand Tesla with or without FSD is not that much difference.

• Disagree
Reactions: EinSV and Dr. J
Where do you get that? Please cite your authoritative source for this statement, which I believe is 100% wrong.
Since you disagreed with my advice to opt out of arbitration, I'll cite the only authoritative source I know of on hardware upgrades for FSD, even though it doesn't address the assertion of @Ghanziang.

Full Self-Driving Computer Installations

Says: "Tesla cars with Full Self-Driving Capability and Autopilot Computer 2.0 or 2.5 are eligible for a complimentary upgrade to the FSD Computer. " There is no reliable source I know of that promises any hardware beyond the "FSD computer," aka hardware 3.0. If someone expects a free upgrade to 4.0, I would say that Tesla hasn't promised that and that person should expect to litigate to have a chance to make that happen--arbitration probably won't succeed.

If someone expects a free upgrade to 4.0, I would say that Tesla hasn't promised that and that person should expect to litigate to have a chance to make that happen--arbitration probably won't succeed.
I'm well aware of the current language on Tesla's website. It makes no distinction between FSD bought with the car vs bought post-sale. Any HW required for "FSD" is implicit in the purchase price, at or after sale.

Now, if a new HW4 came out and you had not purchased FSD before that, of course you're SOL as to hardware upgrades.

Your musings are based on your apparent litigious nature.

• Funny
Reactions: Dr. J and EinSV