Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Transfer - NO - but Tesla says it's really OK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
oh no no no .. the text says "included at time of delivery of the new Tesla vehicle"

Right. it had to be included when the vehicle you're moving FSD from was delivered new.

hence why people who added it after the fact were told they don't qualify- including one who was told there's a code in the system that specifically shows if FSD was originally delivered with the car or not that was checked for it.

So yes yes yes.

and I cannot see how you can conclude based on any grammatical analysis that it refers to the time of delivery of the ORIGINAL vehicle.

Because that's the only vehicle FSD could "exist" on up front-and the only one that could already be owned and registered to you when determining eligibility?

In any event I expect, just like clause 4, Tesla will walk this one back as well (or if you prefer to believe they never meant this one any more than they meant the clause 4 one they'll "clarity" instead of walk back) with updated language.

As I said though much bigger concern appears to be the situations where they might (irreversibly) remove FSD from your old car and you end up with NO FSD on anything if you don't manage to take delivery after that before Sept 30.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Right. it had to be included when the vehicle you're moving FSD from was delivered new.

hence why people who added it after the fact were told they don't qualify- including one who was told there's a code in the system that specifically shows if FSD was originally delivered with the car or not that was checked for it.

So yes yes yes.

As I said though much bigger concern appears to be the situations where they might (irreversibly) remove FSD from your old car and you end up with NO FSD on anything if you don't manage to take delivery after that before Sept 30.
To be sure this is all a mess. But again, I don't see ANY text whatsoever in clause 1 that implies you must have purchased FSD with the original vehicle. All it says is "Be the legal (...) of Tesla vehicle that currently has Full Self Driving capability included at the time of delivery of the new Tesla vehicle".

We've already established what "at the time of delivery of the new Tesla vehicle" means, and so "currently" MUST refer to that same time (though in fact the word is redundant and omitting it would not change the semantics). The only valid inference is that this means the original vehicle must have FSD capability at that time. It says nothing at all about when the original vehicle acquired FSD capability.

So .. no, no, no. :)

The wording is confusing and there's still some confusion with the sales team but I believe "the new Tesla vehicle" refers to the new car you're purchasing.

I've got a 2018 Model 3 which I originally purchased with EAP and then added FSD during that final sale in 2019. I purchased an inventory Model Y yesterday and let them know I wanted to transfer my FSD through text message and they initially responded saying I only had EAP and didn't qualify. However, two minutes later I got another text saying they're emailing me the form for the FSD transfer. They emailed the version of the transfer agreement with the revised wording and it had the correct VIN numbers for the transfer. I'll post back if things don't go as planned but so far, everything seems to be going pretty smoothly.

For those interested, I am in the process of purchasing new MY and asked the Tesla rep to send more details about the FSD transfer. Here is the reply:

Here are some quick guidelines to help process your reservation with the FSD Transfer:
1) Your current vehicle for the trade must be equipped with Full Self Driving (FSD).
2) Your trade valuation INCLUDES the FSD capability on your vehicle and you will need to submit a reservation for your new Tesla in order for the Trade Team to provide you with a hard offer on your current Tesla WITHOUT FSD.
3) When placing your reservation on the new Tesla, you must add the FSD Capability to your order configuration in order to meet all eligibility requirements.
- An acknowledgement document will be sent to you after you place your reservation in order for the FSD Transfer process to begin. The $15000 will then be removed from your MSRP 72 hours prior to you taking delivery of the new vehicle.
4) If selling your vehicle third-party or private-party, you must do the FSD Transfer PRIOR to surrendering your vehicle.
- IMPORTANT: In order for the FSD Transfer process to start, you must place a reservation on a new Tesla vehicle and wait for a VIN to be assigned to you in order for the transfer to take place.
5) Your reservation on the new Tesla must be completed under the same account name and email attached to your current Tesla in order to qualify for the transfer.

For those interested, I am in the process of purchasing new MY and asked the Tesla rep to send more details about the FSD transfer. Here is the reply:

Here are some quick guidelines to help process your reservation with the FSD Transfer:
1) Your current vehicle for the trade must be equipped with Full Self Driving (FSD).
2) Your trade valuation INCLUDES the FSD capability on your vehicle and you will need to submit a reservation for your new Tesla in order for the Trade Team to provide you with a hard offer on your current Tesla WITHOUT FSD.
3) When placing your reservation on the new Tesla, you must add the FSD Capability to your order configuration in order to meet all eligibility requirements.
- An acknowledgement document will be sent to you after you place your reservation in order for the FSD Transfer process to begin. The $15000 will then be removed from your MSRP 72 hours prior to you taking delivery of the new vehicle.
4) If selling your vehicle third-party or private-party, you must do the FSD Transfer PRIOR to surrendering your vehicle.
- IMPORTANT: In order for the FSD Transfer process to start, you must place a reservation on a new Tesla vehicle and wait for a VIN to be assigned to you in order for the transfer to take place.
5) Your reservation on the new Tesla must be completed under the same account name and email attached to your current Tesla in order to qualify for the transfer.
I think they could make that a lot easier. Simply, you remove FSD from your current car and you get a code, the code is good for free FSD on a new Tesla this quarter. If you don't use the code, you can cancel it. FSD is pulled from your car as soon as you use the code. (Or alternately it stays for a bit but the screen shows that the car no longer has FSD, but you can still show people what it's like when they are doing a test drive.)

Even easier - Tesla transfers license as part of the final transaction on their system. Before the title is handed over.
All that really matters is that the new buyer of your car doesn't get fooled into thinking your car has FSD when they buy it. If they are fooled, they might pay as much as $2,000 for the FSD and get angry when it vanishes later. Of course you can still do that, agree to sell them the car, then buy your new car and complete the sale with them. But no big whoop if both cars have FSD for a short period of the transition. No need to be meticulous about it as long as in the end, the old car goes back to its old state and the new car has FSD without paying $15K for it. I don't know what happens if you bought EAP for the old car (as I did) and then bought FSD. I would like to sell my old car with EAP (there was no "AP" at the time I bought it) and get my new one with FSD. They probably won't let me do it.

Sadly, the resale value of my 2018 Model 3 is low enough that a new car would be a pretty significant hit, even without the free FSD transfer. The buyer of my old car would get HW3 though, not much they are likely to do about that. They would also get ultrasonics and radar.

I think they could make that a lot easier…FSD is pulled from your car as soon as…
We know Tesla can’t do that. Hence the whole “Tesla stole the FSD from my third party purchase” drama on trade-ins that 1) had trials, or 2) were employee cars with free FSD that didn’t transfer, and 3) used cars that we’re sold at auction by Tesla itself with FSD flagged for removal.

Reactions: Eugene Ash
The wording is confusing and there's still some confusion with the sales team but I believe "the new Tesla vehicle" refers to the new car you're purchasing.

I've got a 2018 Model 3 which I originally purchased with EAP and then added FSD during that final sale in 2019. I purchased an inventory Model Y yesterday and let them know I wanted to transfer my FSD through text message and they initially responded saying I only had EAP and didn't qualify. However, two minutes later I got another text saying they're emailing me the form for the FSD transfer. They emailed the version of the transfer agreement with the revised wording and it had the correct VIN numbers for the transfer. I'll post back if things don't go as planned but so far, everything seems to be going pretty smoothly.
Just wanted to update that I picked up my Model Y today and everything went pretty smoothly this week. I noticed that FSD was still installed on my Model 3 yesterday so I texted Tesla making sure everything transferred properly. Last night I noticed it had been removed and standard Autopilot was installed. So, just make sure it's been removed from your trade before your delivery date.

My new Model Y shows it has FSD installed. Thanks to Elon and the Tesla team for offering this generous incentive!

All that really matters is that the new buyer of your car doesn't get fooled into thinking your car has FSD when they buy it. If they are fooled, they might pay as much as $2,000 for the FSD and get angry when it vanishes later. Of course you can still do that, agree to sell them the car, then buy your new car and complete the sale with them. But no big whoop if both cars have FSD for a short period of the transition. No need to be meticulous about it as long as in the end, the old car goes back to its old state and the new car has FSD without paying $15K for it. I don't know what happens if you bought EAP for the old car (as I did) and then bought FSD. I would like to sell my old car with EAP (there was no "AP" at the time I bought it) and get my new one with FSD. They probably won't let me do it.

Sadly, the resale value of my 2018 Model 3 is low enough that a new car would be a pretty significant hit, even without the free FSD transfer. The buyer of my old car would get HW3 though, not much they are likely to do about that. They would also get ultrasonics and radar.
The one problem would be if you transfer your old car to a buyer and they talk to Tesla and transfer the vehicle into their account before your FSD transfer goes through, then YOU get screwed.

Just wanted to update that I picked up my Model Y today and everything went pretty smoothly this week. I noticed that FSD was still installed on my Model 3 yesterday so I texted Tesla making sure everything transferred properly. Last night I noticed it had been removed and standard Autopilot was installed. So, just make sure it's been removed from your trade before your delivery date.

My new Model Y shows it has FSD installed. Thanks to Elon and the Tesla team for offering this generous incentive!
If you bought EAP and FSD as two different purchases, as I did and you did, I was hoping you could transfer the FSD to the new car, but the old car would keep the EAP you bought on its own. Of course you paid a lot less for that FSD -- that was the price back then.

Reactions: superblast
If you bought EAP and FSD as two different purchases, as I did and you did, I was hoping you could transfer the FSD to the new car, but the old car would keep the EAP you bought on its own. Of course you paid a lot less for that FSD -- that was the price back then.
You can't do that, as FSD adds on to EAP. (If you don't have EAP FSD costs more.)

But in any case Tesla made it very clear. FSD moves to the new car, the old car gets downgraded to standard Autopilot. (Even if the car never had standard Autopilot, which is actually a bonus for some people.)