Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Transfer - NO - but Tesla says it's really OK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sales booster version 7
No. I am extremely doubtful that non-transferable FSD holds potential buyers who are owners of FSD Teslas from buying a new Tesla. Also, as long as the monthly subscription is $200 and the full ("low" price according to Elon) is $15000, a simple math tells you can have subscription for 6 years and 2 months and still be under $15,000. It just makes no sense to buy an FSD. Especially as long as the FSD remains a gimmick. You cannot and should not trust the FSD on streets at all. You can trust somewhat the AP, which is included for free. So there are no financial nor practical reason to buy the FSD with a new car. If it transferable - great! That makes sense and I will appreciate it in the future when it is time for me to move on next Tesla. Will this push me to buy a car in Q3 2023? Nah...

Also, this sounds more as a desperation out of low demand.

Hmmm... I've got a 2017 Model S with FSD via hardware 2.5. I paid $3k for the FSD back in the day. This is an opportunity to buy new and pull that investment off of the old hardware into a car with new. A $15k savings. Everybody teach me, which cars have FSD version 4? I may pull the trigger. Would be sad to lose my free lifetime supercharging though.

Reactions: henderrj and MikeC
Hmmm... I've got a 2017 Model S with FSD via hardware 2.5. I paid $3k for the FSD back in the day. This is an opportunity to buy new and pull that investment off of the old hardware into a car with new. A $15k savings. Everybody teach me, which cars have FSD version 4? I may pull the trigger. Would be sad to lose my free lifetime supercharging though.
This is exactly the same way I am thinking about it. Current cars with HW4 are Model Y, Model X, Model S. Model 3 does not yet have it and likely won't until Q4 at least (with Highland refresh).

Reactions: Country Roads
It's nice for anyone needing to upgrade but used car prices are down and any savings might be offset with the hit on trade-in.

I took a second to think about it... it'd be about 13k net of value of current Model 3 and tax credit to go from my 2018 to a 2023 (LR AWD to LR AWD) (based on a carvana quote for my car- I guess I maybe could get more private sale but that's a PITA)

But then it'd be another ~4k for full-car PPF like my current one has... and another 2k for the acceleration boost mine has... and another $300 for homelink... So just a bit shy of $20,000 to trade "up" and I'd probably still only be on HW3 for a Q3 order?

I'd gain a heat pump and "powered" trunk, but I'd lose passenger lumbar, data in my center console, and both (theoretically unused) radar and (still used) ultrasonics too.

Doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

No. I am extremely doubtful that non-transferable FSD holds potential buyers who are owners of FSD Teslas from buying a new Tesla. Also, as long as the monthly subscription is $200 and the full ("low" price according to Elon) is $15000, a simple math tells you can have subscription for 6 years and 2 months and still be under $15,000. It just makes no sense to buy an FSD. Especially as long as the FSD remains a gimmick. You cannot and should not trust the FSD on streets at all. You can trust somewhat the AP, which is included for free. So there are no financial nor practical reason to buy the FSD with a new car. If it transferable - great! That makes sense and I will appreciate it in the future when it is time for me to move on next Tesla. Will this push me to buy a car in Q3 2023? Nah...

Also, this sounds more as a desperation out of low demand.
Tesla know a lot of FSD owners are annoyed that their cars are aging and they still dont have "full value" (whatever that is) out of their FSD investment. For those who DO like FSD (you do not seem to be one of them) and have somewhat older cars the temptation ($$ premising) is to get a HW4 car, and in effect they have been offered a one-time $15k discount. So yes, it is a sales booster. How successful it will be I have no way of knowing.

Tesla know a lot of FSD owners are annoyed that their cars are aging and they still dont have "full value" (whatever that is) out of their FSD investment. For those who DO like FSD (you do not seem to be one of them) and have somewhat older cars the temptation ($$ premising) is to get a HW4 car, and in effect they have been offered a one-time $15k discount. So yes, it is a sales booster. How successful it will be I have no way of knowing.
I actually like the FSD a lot as a technology in progress. It stopped progressing in 2023 though and I see a lot of things the FSD fails to do now when in 2022 it did better. I spent $6k on it in 2019 and considered it as a donation to future tech, so I don't really expect much of a return on my money. I also have a non-FSD 22 MY that I could get in 23 for ~$15k less. And I am waiting on the CT. It will be nice if I could move my FSD from M3 to CT, but that would not be a deal breaker for me though. However, I find that Elon+Tesla are (moderator edit) the buyers too much. Most people don't really care in their REAL life about bloody AI, Dojo, robotaxi and FSD never-ending development, teslaBots, whatevernameoftheson#12, etc. I understand that Elon can smoke weed and (moderator edit) on everyone and do ha-ha for 10 minutes straight on his nonsensical appearances at earnings calls when stock loses tens of billions just because of the optics of the guy. But then, maybe just maybe I should stay away from buying cars from companies run by genius multibillionaires who just don't give a (moderator edit) about customers ... and go check out Mercedes and Rivian next year ... but I love Tesla.

Last edited by a moderator:
I took a second to think about it... it'd be about 13k net of value of current Model 3 and tax credit to go from my 2018 to a 2023 (LR AWD to LR AWD) (based on a carvana quote for my car- I guess I maybe could get more private sale but that's a PITA)

But then it'd be another ~4k for full-car PPF like my current one has... and another 2k for the acceleration boost mine has... and another $300 for homelink... So just a bit shy of $20,000 to trade "up" and I'd probably still only be on HW3 for a Q3 order?

I'd gain a heat pump and "powered" trunk, but I'd lose passenger lumbar, data in my center console, and both (theoretically unused) radar and (still used) ultrasonics too.

Doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

Yeah, I first read about it and thought ooohhhhh...then reality set in, haha.