Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Upgrade Email

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is tempting to get, but I know they offered it to me before for $2,000. So paying $3,000 now seems to not make sense, especially since nothing has changed in convincing me that they will be able to offer FSD in any reasonable time.

Also, I'm thinking I'll sell my car in 2020 when the new roadster launches (hopefully). I don't think I'll even see FSD before then. The question is if it will improve resale by $3000?

Reactions: mpt and MattUNI
The EAP model 3 will require yet another $3,000 for FSD.
Can this be confirmed?

Yes, that's correct. But EAP includes Enhanced Summon & Auto-Park and NoA already. So none of the features mentioned in the email required the $3k, except the nebulous "future Full Self-Driving features".

What irks me most about this email is that they say the price of this upgrade will increase on August 16th. It doesn't make any sense, because there is literally nothing happening on August 16th which would logically require an increase in the price of the upgrade (we already have access to Enhanced Summon whenever it is released, so even in the unlikely event it is released on August 16th, there's no reason that should affect the upgrade price)!

I'm just digging up the money. No question that it should
be done before the August 16th date. Don't wanna be back
to complain when the price goes up this time. Of course
the upgrade includes the 3.X computer hardware. That's
what we gain now. And software beyond the current level,
as it's rolled out (to HW3 equipped vehicles). People
who have zero trust should be driving a safe bet, like a
Volkswagen diesel.

The announced August 16th date is when all Automation
packages increase in price. We've seen price drops on
the car itself, it's inevitable that something has to go up.

I too would have preferred the $2k upgrade, but I've said
I'd be OK at $3k, and I am. People who don't want more
automation should very simply stick to whatever they have.

Last edited:
Yes, that's correct. But EAP includes Enhanced Summon & Auto-Park and NoA already. So none of the features mentioned in the email required the $3k, except the nebulous "future Full Self-Driving features".

What irks me most about this email is that they say the price of this upgrade will increase on August 16th. It doesn't make any sense, because there is literally nothing happening on August 16th which would logically require an increase in the price of the upgrade (we already have access to Enhanced Summon whenever it is released, so even in the unlikely event it is released on August 16th, there's no reason that should affect the upgrade price)!

Maybe nothing has been announced for August 16th yet? Elon/Tesla said they would increase it and keeping true to their word... until they might decrease it again. Similar to what they are doing to Free Unlimited Supercharging (FUSC), helps with cash-flow or whatever.

Reactions: Enginerd
Elon/Tesla said they would increase it and keeping true to their word... until they might decrease it again.

I could see them increasing the price of FSD for current AP owners to $7k when Enhanced Summon is released, because then there is more value in the upgrade. But it doesn't make much sense to increase the price for current EAP owners; nothing will have changed.

I'm not saying it has to make sense. Tesla can nominally increase the price for whatever reason. But fortunately they are not the ones who get to decide how much it actually will cost. I guess they can collect money from all the people who will bite at $4k, and then maybe drop the price to $2k to get some more takers. I guess two-tier pricing systems do work for maximizing revenue, that's not exactly what this is, though...so we'll see.

Broadly speaking, an email describing the $3k should have gone only to those with EAP, that is correct. But the specific wording in this email appears to be more appropriate for AP-only (not EAP) owners (with the exception of the price) - it's not appropriate at all for EAP owners. So it's all messed up.

I think the conclusion I would draw is that an appropriately worded email to EAP owners wouldn't have been able to promise anything extra to EAP owners, so they simply described what we already have (or maybe will have) without any specific promises at all about the future.

Not exactly convincing me to drop another $3k.

Maybe what FSD will get (and EAP will not) is the no-so-sucky Summon, or NSSS (Ns^3?)?

:p

Given how my 3 almost always turns the wheels enough to back into my garage wall, after pulling out of the garage without issue, I'm skeptical about enhanced summon.

I use summon a bit to move the car out of the garage so I can get my JetSki out. Summon straight out from a perfect park, 18" at least on both sides. Almost every time I try to back the car back into the garage in via summon it turns the wheel and steers it into the wall (driver side). Zero need to move it into the wall.

Don't get me wrong I rolled the dice on $2K FSD, and love EAP for my drives to the NC coast (works perfect for more than 99% of the route), but summon simply boggles my mind. I just want it to pull out, then go back in on the same line and it can't do that.

I could see them increasing the price of FSD for current AP owners to $7k when Enhanced Summon is released, because then there is more value in the upgrade. But it doesn't make much sense to increase the price for current EAP owners; nothing will have changed.

I'm not saying it has to make sense. Tesla can nominally increase the price for whatever reason. But fortunately they are not the ones who get to decide how much it actually will cost. I guess they can collect money from all the people who will bite at $4k, and then maybe drop the price to $2k to get some more takers. I guess two-tier pricing systems do work for maximizing revenue, that's not exactly what this is, though...so we'll see.

Reactions: MaryAnning3
What does the $3,000 upgrade to Full Self-Driving include? Is there a hardware upgrade involved?

I received the same email and already own EAP including NOA and Summon. The email is very confusing and does not describe any new functions that we already have.

It gets you the new 3.0 Computer and any future computer upgrades. It gets you advanced Summon (very soon) and it will eventually get you full self driving as well as Robo Taxi options.

I've seen some of the development software that is currently being tested on HW 3.0 and it's most certainly NOT vaporware. They are much further ahead than what is currently going out to the public. That's not to say that there isn't more work to be done, but I'd say they are 85 to maybe 90% of the way there. The last 10% is the hardest though as it is all the edge case scenarios.

When I got that e-mail I just about had a fit and fell in it.
Both I (and my father) both got Tesla Model 3's and were told point blank by our sales person that EAP was the new terminology for Self Driving, and if we paid $5,000 for EAP, it would be upgraded for free to Self Driving.
I am not stupid. I own six other vehicles (including a Delorean), and my father owns 2 others. I have multiple degrees, and my father is a State Judge. We both heard the exact same thing.
I am returning my Model 3 tomorrow, along with all of the accessories. This is the most egregious form of bait-and-switch I have ever experienced in my life. I don't know WHO told the sales person to "SAY ANYTHING IT TAKES TO MAKE THE SALE" but when it comes to paying $60,000 cash for a vehicle, I refuse to be lied to.

Elon said the price will go up from $6k to $7k on 8/16, and that EAP owners get $3,000 off the upgrade price. So after the 16th it will presumably cost $4k to upgrade from EAP.