Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD upgrade option disappeared from My Account

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And dang. It went up today.

$5000 now.

Attachments

• F01D019A-8EF3-4E33-8439-5E56AC450B30.png
    F01D019A-8EF3-4E33-8439-5E56AC450B30.png
    321.1 KB · Views: 82
I definitely won't be purchasing at that price. I actually enjoy driving ;).
Pretty miffed that the price increased with no warning. Probably still wouldn't have touched it until I saw what Tesla offered with their first release. Though, I haven't been all that optimistic given the way "E"AP development has been going.
No intentions of purchasing at that price either. Considering how long it took them to get functionality working for "E"AP, I don't need any more bait and switch at this point. Not to mention they'll probably ruin it with some nag-gate anyways.

Reactions: P85_DA
If anyone needed more proof that the “full self driving hardware” in all of our cars is anything but...

I wouldn't interpret this as meaning there will be hardware required for the features we will see in the next few months, but it does let them mess with the price to stimulate uptake as they release the new features.

As it was they couldn't run a price promotion without irritating anyone who had already paid the upgrade price, now they can promote at the original upgrade price without upsetting anyone except the very small numbers (if any) who decide to pay the new price in the next few weeks.

The option didn't disappear from my account, but the prince indeed increased from 4200 euros to 5300.

As said previously, I do not see why I would pay that much at this time, considering I paid for EAP and those features aren't even available yet.

Can think of a couple of reasons why they have done this...

* a demand lever to drive more people to select the option when they buy a car
* Disincentive to upgrade
* "must have" feature about to be released

The price has gone up in the UK too now when looking at a 'Custom order'. After purchase of my Model S it was stated to be £3,800, whereas it's now £4,700. The thing I'll take big issue with is when I ordered mine, FSD was stated as "£3,800 after delivery". Surely they have to honour that price as it was offered to me originally?

I don't see how charging more money for a feature which does nothing is going to convince who already have a car and know the EAP history to buy it. Additionally, those who didn't buy it are not going to jump on it right after a price hike. The only thing I can think of is increasing the difference between pre and post delivery price to entive new order customers who are not familiar with Elon's track record of delivering on promises - so a boost in revenue and average sale price per car. Key point to notice here is that pre-delivery price did not go up.

Reactions: croman
The price has gone up in the UK too now when looking at a 'Custom order'. After purchase of my Model S it was stated to be £3,800, whereas it's now £4,700. The thing I'll take big issue with is when I ordered mine, FSD was stated as "£3,800 after delivery". Surely they have to honour that price as it was offered to me originally?

No. You never exercised your option and Tesla is free to change the price until you do. I've warned everyone extensively about that. If you don't want it, don't bother. Tesla did this exact thing with AP1.

Reactions: Pale_Rider

I saw a bunch of grapes advertised in my local supermarket for £1.99 last week, but when I went back this week they had gone up to £2.49.

Surely the supermarket must honor the price they advertised the grapes at last week? Especially as they are now sour.

The thing I'll take big issue with is when I ordered mine, FSD was stated as "£3,800 after delivery". Surely they have to honour that price as it was offered to me originally?

Not a chance, you had the opportunity to take it at that price but didn't, there was never any promise that the price would stay the same.

I still suspect you'll get another chance to buy it at that price though so I wouldn't give up on that thought yet...

On the other-hand I would take the time to preserve a copy of this bit from the current website:

"All Tesla vehicles produced in our factory, including Model 3, have the hardware needed for full self-driving capability at a safety level substantially greater than that of a human driver."

That is something which you can reasonably claim that you relied on when purchasing your car (assuming you can show it was on the site prior to your purchase) and if that changes you would have something to use, but...

... that is still short of a promise that such a capability will meet the standards set by governments to approve the FSD implementation.

That is of course why Tesla have commented that those who have already purchased the FSD facility would get the free hardware upgrades if required by the legislators...

All a bit tenuous though, but none of that helps your original question as they certainly can change the price.

• Informative
Reactions: TimK