Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where are the front left and front right cameras located? I could never find them
Just an FYI.
When your car is in park select the service screen and scroll down to view cameras. You can then view what each camera sees. It's very interesting to see their field of view. In the picture I posted previously since I knew the car wouldn't move and there was nobody behind me I put the car in park and quickly selected the b-pillar camera and then took a picture of the display with my phone.

Check out the front cameras and you'll find how limited the forward field of view is. On the positive side it doesn't take much of a turn at a low visibility intersection when the car creeps for the front fender cameras to see left and right. I think this is often how FSD addresses poor visibility when turning right.
Of course even if the car had cameras at the very front the car would still have to creep a long way since supervision requires a human to see.

I have had it work about 30% of the time. It may have to do with lighting or your model vehicle. Also, my IQ is 20 points higher than yours, so go watch the video @fasteddie7 put on YouTube, where he shows it working during a drive for the entire drive, 💯 of the time. In a non MS, it may work like sex panther. 100% of the time, 60% of the time.

(The IQ joke was for the 20 downvotes Doc... see you Tuesday for the colonoscopy!)
Just for that you’re not getting any sedation!

I am not the Joker...I am the Batman.... now I am gonna go cry in the corner 😢 😭
You hurt Batman feelings...
IMG_4932.gif

Tesla needs to add an additional detected eye tracking camera/IR emitter like other systems use to become truly hands free and dump all the exceptions.

View attachment 1050989
Agree. In Tesla’s defense, they’ve been figuring all of this out as they go along, and they’ve had to tweak and alter things like driver monitoring several times as they’ve learned just how stupid people can be.

If and when they get this figured out, I think they should offer a driver monitoring camera upgrade, like the one you show. Even if they charged a nominal fee for the upgrade and installation it would be worth it simply to avoid all the nags.

Seems like those cameras would have worked better being on the front bumper right where it curves, then they would have had a better view than a person does instead of making them as close to the human head as possible
The location of the B pillar cameras has been discussed and debated ad nauseam in this and several other threads. IMO the current position isn’t that much different from the drivers view and should be adequate except currently there’s too much processing lag. The problem with placing cameras, farther forward on the bumper, grille or fender, as you suggest, They are much more susceptible to road spray, dirt, etc., and keeping them clean would be very problematic.

The location of the B pillar cameras has been discussed and debated ad nauseam in this and several other threads. IMO the current position isn’t that much different from the drivers view and should be adequate except currently there’s too much processing lag. The problem with placing cameras, farther forward on the bumper, grille or fender, as you suggest, They are much more susceptible to road spray, dirt, etc., and keeping them clean would be very problematic.
Disagree, since where I live we have lots of low visibility intersections which FSD has real problems with. As noted in my earlier post FSD no longer turns right when I want to leave my neighborhood with the foliage out so I have to manually make the turn which is ridiculous. The excuse forward cameras cannot be kept clean is a cop out.
And yes it's been discussed ad nauseam so sorry for bringing it up again. Will be interesting to see how the robotaxi vehicle unveil affects camera location if at all.

Disagree, since where I live we have lots of low visibility intersections which FSD has real problems with. As noted in my earlier post FSD no longer turns right when I want to leave my neighborhood with the foliage out so I have to manually make the turn which is ridiculous. The excuse forward cameras cannot be kept clean is a cop out.
And yes it's been discussed ad nauseam so sorry for bringing it up again. Will be interesting to see how the robotaxi vehicle unveil affects camera location if at all.
I have posted this before, but to restate, they no longer use all 3 cameras with hw4 in the windshield. (The 3rd camera is a dummy, and does nothing) Hw3 does. They should in the same mount replace the wide angle, or near camera, or both with 1 or 2 dedicated cameras looking left and perhaps right.
This would leave 1 forward looking camera that would be complemented with the right and left views. No issues keeping them clean, and both hw3 and hw4 could easily be retrofitted with this. The cabling and connections exist today. Look at the wide angle and near angle in park. They are basically useless. DM me Elon for the invoice.

But the unveiling will not necessarily be the final configuration - just rev 1. All things (design solutions) should improve over time.

I have posted this before, but to restate, they no longer use all 3 cameras with hw4 in the windshield. (The 3rd camera is a dummy, and does nothing) Hw3 does. They should in the same mount replace the wide angle, or near camera, or both with 1 or 2 dedicated cameras looking left and perhaps right.
This would leave 1 forward looking camera that would be complemented with the right and left views. No issues keeping them clean, and both hw3 and hw4 could easily be retrofitted with this. The cabling and connections exist today. Look at the wide angle and near angle in park. They are basically useless. DM me Elon for the invoice.
There’s 3 cameras at the top of windshield? Thought I only saw one

Those other 2 aren’t accessible in the app, do they look left and right or just straight ahead
You can access and view them in the Service Menu. They look straight ahead. The Service menu affords a superior preview of what the cameras see than the App.

Main: Standard angle view camera
Wide: Wide angle a lot like the rear camera
Narrow: Telephoto lens

Also I suspect they don't use a Narrow in HW4 since the camera's have a higher resolution. So they can use "digital zoom".

You can access and view them in the Service Menu. They look straight ahead. The Service menu affords a superior preview of what the cameras see than the App.

Main: Standard angle view camera
Wide: Wide angle a lot like the rear camera
Narrow: Telephoto lens

Also I suspect they don't use a Narrow in HW4 since the camera's have a higher resolution. So they can use "digital zoom".
They replaced that camera with crotch angle camera or 'CAC"... not sure how it helps drive the car.
😂😅