Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like something some bean counting "Joker" would point out. 🫣 😂
IMG_4931.jpeg

IIRC, didn't FSD already warn about attention being off the road and stop warning when you looked straight ahead? The message was something like "Please pay attention to the road" (not precise wording I'm sure). I would expect that in 12.4+ you can keep your hands off the yoke and not get the nag if everything else is copacetic. But the specific behavior above doesn't alone imply anything has changed?
I haven’t had FSD reliable respond to me looking ahead. IME the gaze tracking has been used in the negative sense but not the positive (I.e. it would yell at you and give a nag for looking away but wouldn’t reward you by cancelling a nag for watching the road.)

Are you saying it can sense your nearby hand? It's using the camera to see that your hand is near the wheel?
Yes I made I video about it a while back. It’s been recognizing my hands for a few versions now. What’s crazy is how hard of a time I had making that video. If the camera sees a camera in my hands, it doesn’t work. Even when I mounted my camera somewhere else in the car near me it didn’t work. I needed to have a passenger record it for me to be able to get it on video.

I thought I'd tested it enough to be able to believe it watched my gaze and accepted a return to watching the road to cancel a nag. It's certainly possible I was wrong.

My thinking at the time and still: if it detects my gaze move away from the road, it would make sense for it to detect my gaze returning to the road?

Yes I made I video about it a while back. It’s been recognizing my hands for a few versions now. What’s crazy is how hard of a time I had making that video. If the camera sees a camera in my hands, it doesn’t work. Even when I mounted my camera somewhere else in the car near me it didn’t work. I needed to have a passenger record it for me to be able to get it on video.
Post your YouTube link for people who haven't seen that video please.
I subscribe to your channel and watch your videos. I tried your technique and it works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. Might be we both have MS.

Change of pace from v12.4.
With the foliage now fully out here is an example of an intersection where FSD often doesn't turn right. FSD will only turn when I press the accelerator.
The picture is from the left B-pillar and the blue circle represents where the foliage blocks the camera's view. FSD has already crept as far as it safely can otherwise crossing traffic is impeded which has happened. It's almost like FSD knows it cannot creep any more and also knows it cannot see far enough to safely turn so it simply stops. Of course a human leans way forward and can see far enough to know when it's safe to turn. Thats when I press the accelerator after waiting a long time.

What's also interesting is FSD NEVER turns left here any more. FSD now reroutes to another intersection which is fine by me.
I've reported this intersection before on this forum and to Tesla so I find the change in FSD behavior intriguing. Just unfortunate situation caused by the lack of better forward camera views. My bet is once the foliage is gone FSD will turn right every time safely.

v12.3.6  FSD Won't Move.jpg

I tried doing what you described several times and never got it to work.

I tried doing what you described several times and never got it to work.
I have had it work about 30% of the time. It may have to do with lighting or your model vehicle. Also, my IQ is 20 points higher than yours, so go watch the video @fasteddie7 put on YouTube, where he shows it working during a drive for the entire drive, 💯 of the time. In a non MS, it may work like sex panther. 100% of the time, 60% of the time.

(The IQ joke was for the 20 downvotes Doc... see you Tuesday for the colonoscopy!)

• Funny
Reactions: LSDTester#1
Post your YouTube link for people who haven't seen that video please.
I subscribe to your channel and watch your videos. I tried your technique and it works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. Might be we both have MS.
It still works as of today for me. Either hand works but my right hand in a fist on my leg next to the wheel is 100%, my left hand doing the same on the opposite side works almost as well, but will still throw up nags here and there. The way I’m holding my hand by the wheel in my video is unnecessary just didn’t want to get trolled by youtube comments that I’m not ready to take over. Driving starts at 1:35 if you want to skip my yammering.

It still works as of today for me. Either hand works but my right hand in a fist on my leg next to the wheel is 100%, my left hand doing the same on the opposite side works almost as well, but will still throw up nags here and there. The way I’m holding my hand by the wheel in my video is unnecessary just didn’t want to get trolled by youtube comments that I’m not ready to take over. Driving starts at 1:35 if you want to skip my yammering.
HW 3 cannot see your hands or the steering wheel unfortunately.
1716776622741.png

• Helpful
Reactions: JB47394
HW 3 cannot see your hands or the steering wheel unfortunately.
View attachment 1050957
That is a MY or M3... I stated 3 times already it is probably MS and/or MX specific.
The interior camera shows 70% of the wheel or yoke.
I know because I have a MS and have checked it after watching his video.
He has HW4, I have HW3, with MS it works for both hardware versions.
I can see both hands on the yoke from the interior camera.

Last edited: