Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's also a camera blind-spot between the side cameras and the front camera. I had someone merge into me while I was turning left and I reviewed the camera footage and the car isn't anywhere to be seen until if appears in the front camera.
You can easily test this. Park in an empty parking lot (church lots work really well). Go into the Service Menu (the hidden one) and bring up the camera feeds. Now have a friend walk around the car while you change camera feeds and see if there is a blind spot, and how large it is. Report back here.

I think the tester group will remain who came late from 3.25. Tesla probably doesn't want someone who just purchased a new car to be in an early release version of the software from a liability perspective. 12.3.6, while it has its faults, is pretty stable and predictable.
I think you are right.

Another tidbit for folks who don't believe the Testers exist: I looked at TelsaFi, which has maps of each versions regional counts, and compared the % of installs in each version which are in US and Canada relative to the total for the version. Why is this informative? Since 2023 fsd 11.3.6 has been included in all updates, world wide, wether or not each car has paid for FSD. When the FSD beta program started (Safety score and all that), only people in the US were allowed in, and sometime later Canada was added. As a result, all of the early beta testers are in US and Canda. So, let's look at the data, taken today:

Version. US & Canada​
2024.20.1 33%​
2024.14.9 79%​
2024.3.25. 100%​

For Omar's fans :) With the ADA Test Operators in Chuck's area and this post from Omar maybe this week is reasonable for v12.4.2
What do you think Gottagofast?

1718670187418.png

You can easily test this. Park in an empty parking lot (church lots work really well). Go into the Service Menu (the hidden one) and bring up the camera feeds. Now have a friend walk around the car while you change camera feeds and see if there is a blind spot, and how large it is. Report back here.
Check me on this, but I think the dash cam footage does not include the pillar cameras, which do overlap with the front view cams. The pillar cams are viewable in the service menu, though, just not the dash cam recordings, I think.

In a lot of ways I think Chuck’s UPL is much easier than many UPLs I have seen in DFW area.

Here is one where the current version (12.3) struggles to cross even in moderate traffic. Waits for traffic to ease completely on both sides, but that means waiting forever most of the day.

View attachment 1057352
Since you live in Tx, you have to be familiar with those highways that pass through small towns. 70 mph between towns, 50 mph or less in the town. Complete with bidirectional frontage roads on either side of the main highway. Entering the highway from one of those frontage roads makes you cut across the other direction of that frontage road, with the other direction having a yield sign.
Traveling to the eclipse in April (from I40 to Denton to Mineola), FSD had a nervous breakdown - several I might say, trying to figure out what speed to go and who was supposed to yield when on the frontage road.

Perhaps this was just the V11 stack at work, or maybe the V12 in a strange world it didn’t understand.

Have you given it a go on those highways?
Chock full of interventions. If Elon is looking for interventions, there is a hornet’s nest right there in his back yard.

You assume these rectangular cropped and projected images on the screen are everything that the camera feeds into the computer.

Agreed. That is why I would say that Tesla has very poor blind spot detection and dissemination. While other manufacturers have a light in the side mirrors that comes on when a car is in the blind spot, the Tesla onscreen visualization cannot be relied upon to make decisions on lane changing.
Here’s a good example - the bumper of the car shown to my left was actually in front of my car’s bumper when this shot was taken. Had I merged I would have caused an accident.

It the accuracy is dependent on relative speed (or anything, for that matter) then it’s worthless as a blind spot monitor.
IMG_4743.jpeg

I had neither AP or FSD engagement. The map on the right had changed, showing much more detail/resolution than normal.

In my Intel car at least, the visualization in the left panel is quite different when FSD is engaged vs. standard visualization. I thought that was a normal thing.

Anyway, it was the map change that amazed me.
I thought you meant the visualization was more detailed. I didn't realize you meant the map. That is very interesting. Never seen or heard of that. Maybe a feature that wasn't meant to be accessible yet? I remember reading that Teslas in China would be getting an enhanced map.

Reactions: DrGriz
Yup, I don't think the visualization was meant to be blindspot detection. This thought is supported by a blind spot ribbon on the video when turn signals are on and the light in the A piller speakers of the Highland. Those indicators should be used primarily instead of visualization vehicle. And, I bet the visualization color of the vehicle beside the ego synchs with the Highland A piller light and the turn signal blind spot camera ribbon.
When activating the turn signal, the visualization highlights cars in red that are in the path of your lane change. More importantly, the visualization camera zooms out to reveal more of the space behind your car specifically when you activate the turn signal in a lane change context. This suggests that the designers had blind spot assistance in mind when working on the visualization.

Here’s a good example - the bumper of the car shown to my left was actually in front of my car’s bumper when this shot was taken. Had I merged I would have caused an accident.

Woah, feels like something's unusually bad with your car. That's a lot of distance shown - mine has never been that far off (not that I watch it that closely all the time, but when cruising on AP I've looked at adjacent vehicles on the vis a fair bit).

And from watching a pile of FSD testing videos the visualization is typically quite accurate.

I thought you meant the visualization was more detailed. I didn't realize you meant the map. That is very interesting. Never seen or heard of that. Maybe a feature that wasn't meant to be accessible yet? I remember reading that Teslas in China would be getting an enhanced map.
Yes. The blue route line on the *map* would waver and would sometimes be in the correct lane of a two lane 35-45 mph country road, or it might be in the right hand ditch, or the left hand ditch, etc. But there was that level of detail.

Reactions: cyborgLIS

It the accuracy is dependent on relative speed (or anything, for that matter) then it’s worthless as a blind spot monitor.
View attachment 1057421

Is it possible that the car was traveling much faster, such that by the time you physically checked its position, it was already at your bumper? Seeing a car that was passing me and that close in the visualization would inform me that I don't have space to change lanes. On the other hand, if I was overtaking that driver, it would mean I have enough clearance.

Reactions: zoomer0056

View attachment 1057421
I don't believe the visualization was ever meant to be used as a blind spot detection safety feature.

Reactions: hobertg