Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you successfully flipped your car upside down on the visualization screen when the car is parked? I tried but I couldn't.
It's very difficult. Here's how:

Make sure you are in Park.
Put your foot on the brake.
Put the left blinker on.
Wait for it to blink at least 10 times!
Pinch and zoom in and twist.

It doesn't always work.

Upside Down Tessie.jpg

So I've only had FSD 12.3.6 for a week and have had to calibrated my cameras twice. It now has gone back to riding on the line or extremely close to the curb. It also used to get into the turn lane at this specific light, but now it starts to change to that lane and then scoots back over and stays there with the blinker on, so I look like an idiot...

With my own eyes and reading other posts, I don't know how the hell FSD robotaxi will work. Maybe it won't be able to work on older M3s like mine and will need HW4 or 5, but I'm totally confused by how Elon promotes it and what I'm seeing.

So I've only had FSD 12.3.6 for a week and have had to calibrated my cameras twice. It now has gone back to riding on the line or extremely close to the curb.
We've now driven a total of 130 minutes with 2024.14.9 not all on FSD vs 2024.3.25 (which had about 12 hours of driving using FSD). Both are V12.3.6.

Yesterday, during driving in a town, the navigation was showing us as taking the oncoming lanes for the trip. It also showed us slightly in the oncoming lane on the map. The line we'd be taking if we engaged FSD was completely clearly in the oncoming lanes as if we were driving in England. We didn't engage FSD because we were literally driving 3 blocks and had entered the new destination only because it was an unknown town to us so we had no clear idea where on the block the business was. But when I saw the mapping, it made me nervous and I pointed it out to my husband while stopped at the light, and asked him to not take that moment to test FSD for in-town driving.

Quick edit: I just remembered we'd ignored the original routing FSD had calculated, which took us 2x as far for no discernible reason. As I said, we had mapped the route only because we didn't know exactly where the business was in the block, but knew the street and where we were, and could see that driving for several blocks in the opposite direction would not be correct. Whether that's why it didn't map us correctly, I don't know, perhaps it felt it was missing mapping details and that's why it took us on other main streets (we had to cross a river and each of the streets were the only ones to do so.)

On our way to this area of the province (a 3 hour drive), we had not yet updated to 14.9 and the NAV again failed spectacularly but in that case the illogic of the situation made me tell my husband to turn the car around. We had turned off FSD going through the town with our closest hospital while we are staying here and the hospital is nowhere near the highway so we had followed the signs to it so we'd no where it was, and where the ER door was, in order to not have to learn anything during an actual emergency. As we left the hospital driveway, the car gave us two options to continue the trip, a pretty (and new to us) drive through backroads at 1:03 or take the regular route, for 1:20. We decided to take the new route and had gone a kilometer when I told my husband something was wrong. The town with the hospital is a 45 minute drive from the place we are visiting. That's consistent, we've done that drive dozens of times. Yet the NAV was telling us that our regular route was almost 2x as long as usual. We stopped the car, I used my phone to confirm using google and Waze that there wasn't an accident on the main highway, and since there wasn't, we turned the car around to head on our trip our usual routing. Immediately, the car recalculated that we'd arrive in 45 minutes as we expected.

This wasn't a big deal because we knew and corrected. But when we are traveling in places I don't know, I now feel I can't trust the NAV's optional route suggestions since the 'fastest' one offered us was only faster because the NAV had miscalculated the other option.

While this experience was with the older UI, this was also FSD V12.3.6.

Last edited:
I lost the train of the conversation and felt elon's propensity to dribble drivel meant both could be used accurately in one sentence.

But the context was Mensa dribble and to that end, I struggle to find a definition of dribble that fits, whereas drivel fits well. At least using Merriam-Webster.

Reactions: swedge
Yesterday, during driving in a town, the navigation was showing us as taking the oncoming lanes for the trip. It also showed us slightly in the oncoming lane on the map. The line we'd be taking if we engaged FSD was completely clearly in the oncoming lanes as if we were driving in England.
Navigation doesn't show which lane will be used... Sometimes the mapped streets don't always like up with the satellite map...

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Navigation doesn't show which lane will be used... Sometimes the mapped streets don't always like up with the satellite map...
I've never noticed that before but then again we don't tend to use FSD off of highways, so never see the map with such a enlarged mode where the lanes are easily discerned from the map.

But I thought on freeways (and in the city streets too) FSD shows which lanes it will take for its route because I've seen videos where the comment was it showed one route but took different lanes (often the wrong lanes.)

Since the 2024.14.9 update, I've been experiencing a stagger in the startup chime sequence that occurs when you press the brake before buckling the seat belt. There is a slight pause either after the first chime or before the last chime. Not always but most of the time now. Anyone else notice this? Was wondering if there was some meaning to it or my installation got corrupted somehow.

• Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1
Since the 2024.14.9 update, I've been experiencing a stagger in the startup chime sequence that occurs when you press the brake before buckling the seat belt. There is a slight pause either after the first chime or before the last chime. Not always but most of the time now. Anyone else notice this? Was wondering if there was some meaning to it or my installation got corrupted somehow.
Yes, I heard that for some chime recently. Once.

So I've only had FSD 12.3.6 for a week and have had to calibrated my cameras twice. It now has gone back to riding on the line or extremely close to the curb. It also used to get into the turn lane at this specific light, but now it starts to change to that lane and then scoots back over and stays there with the blinker on, so I look like an idiot...

With my own eyes and reading other posts, I don't know how the hell FSD robotaxi will work. Maybe it won't be able to work on older M3s like mine and will need HW4 or 5, but I'm totally confused by how Elon promotes it and what I'm seeing.
Magic won't happen if you don't believe in magic ✨:)

Gonna go off on a tangent here about how people almost certainly shouldn’t focus much on camera calibration.

FSD is everything to Tesla now, the key to Tesla reaching many many trillions of dollars in valuation will not hinge upon needing to hit an extra button in some menu. If camera calibration was ever that important or necessary, Tesla would build the system such that it either calibrates with every new update or better yet goes through a self-calibration every time you start the system. If and when robotaxis ever arrive, I imagine that is exactly what will happen and there will need to be processes built in that ensure the cameras are always properly calibrated like pilots going through all the pre-flight checks before moving down the runway — except without needing a human to do it, because autonomous robotaxis.

Right now if camera calibration was necessary to ensure good experiences for users and therefore subscription revenue, it would not be an extra step.

Last edited:
Gonna go off on a tangent here about how people almost certainly shouldn’t focus much on camera calibration.

FSD is everything to Tesla now, the key to Tesla reaching many many trillions of dollars in valuation will not hinge upon needing to hit an extra button in some menu. If camera calibration was ever that important or necessary, Tesla would build the system such that it either calibrates with every new update or better yet goes through a self-calibration every time you start the system. If and when robotaxis ever arrive, I imagine that is exactly what will happen and there will need to be processes built in that ensure the cameras are always properly calibrated like pilots going through all the pre-flight checks before moving down the runway — except without needing a human to do it, because autonomous robotaxis.

Right now if camera calibration was necessary to ensure good experiences for users and therefore subscription revenue, it would not be an extra step.
Self calibration is rather difficult when the car is not moving. Agree it should in time suggest it but to have it do it randomly disabling FSD would put people in an angry tail spin.