Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got back from a 100 mile drive on 55 MPH two lanes and some four lanes. My verdict:

For that situation, V12 was slightly worse than V11. The main problem is that the car often drove too slowly as noted by AI Driver. This is not a phantom braking type thing, and it wasn't dangerous, but it was inconvenient and would have bothered drivers behind me.

Things that were worse
  1. At one point the car came to an unnecessary stop when going from one road to another, at an intersection that it's handled correctly hundreds of times.
  2. The auto wipers were not improved or perhaps worse. Recently I've had zero dry wipes, but had a bunch today. That could be related to cleaning the windshield.
  3. The car seemed to tailgate some other cars, something I have never seen before.
  4. At one point the car drove between lanes for a while instead of changing lanes. I may have video of that.
  5. There's a turn where the car has consistently gone out of the lane for forty feet or so, and that has not been fixed.
  6. It seemed to slow down too much to make a right turn off a road with a 65 MPH limit.
  7. There are still instances when it should turn on the blinker and it does not.
  8. You can no longer stop a nag by using the scroll wheels or the shift stalk (this makes it safe, actually).
  9. I saw the same funky steering wheel dance that AI Driver reported in a destination's parking lot.
  10. At one point I got a "Take over immediately" red steering wheel for no reason that I could see.

Improvements
  1. I can start FSD sooner in my driveway than before.
  2. There's a place where the car would always "lane drift" into the wrong lane, but it didn't do that today.
  3. There's a turn that the car had always come to a stop and sometimes jerked toward the side of the road, but it handled it correctly today.
Perhaps I'm being too picky, but this trip (that I make often) will be slightly less convenient in the future.

The route:

View attachment 1020559
This is discouraging. I had high hopes after seeing the Costco parking lot video. Thank you for the feedback.

Reactions: jebinc
I don't know why V12.2.1 was temporarily disabled on my car this morning. It's still disabled after I drove more than 1.5 miles. Frustrated, I recalibrated the camera and re-enabled FSD. It was a pain to manually drive and to use only auto steer during 20 miles to recablirate the cameras. Once FSD always FSD.
Yeah - I got kicked out of FSD for a week last fall after getting my 5th unprovoked strike. The thing I noticed was that for all its faults, I found FSD better than driving myself.

Based on present data I would predict new FW in 2-3 days if no new waves dump. I would predict 2023.XX based on the fact that we are waiting for a new V12 version and there are people still on .8 who have not gotten a recall version yet.

I just got back from a 100 mile drive on 55 MPH two lanes and some four lanes. My verdict:

For that situation, V12 was slightly worse than V11. The main problem is that the car often drove too slowly as noted by AI Driver. This is not a phantom braking type thing, and it wasn't dangerous, but it was inconvenient and would have bothered drivers behind me.

Things that were worse
  1. At one point the car came to an unnecessary stop when going from one road to another, at an intersection that it's handled correctly hundreds of times.
  2. The auto wipers were not improved or perhaps worse. Recently I've had zero dry wipes, but had a bunch today. That could be related to cleaning the windshield.
  3. The car seemed to tailgate some other cars, something I have never seen before.
  4. At one point the car drove between lanes for a while instead of changing lanes. I may have video of that.
  5. There's a turn where the car has consistently gone out of the lane for forty feet or so, and that has not been fixed.
  6. It seemed to slow down too much to make a right turn off a road with a 65 MPH limit.
  7. There are still instances when it should turn on the blinker and it does not.
  8. You can no longer stop a nag by using the scroll wheels or the shift stalk (this makes it safe, actually).
  9. I saw the same funky steering wheel dance that AI Driver reported in a destination's parking lot.
  10. At one point I got a "Take over immediately" red steering wheel for no reason that I could see.

Improvements
  1. I can start FSD sooner in my driveway than before.
  2. There's a place where the car would always "lane drift" into the wrong lane, but it didn't do that today.
  3. There's a turn that the car had always come to a stop and sometimes jerked toward the side of the road, but it handled it correctly today.
Perhaps I'm being too picky, but this trip (that I make often) will be slightly less convenient in the future.

The route:

View attachment 1020559
Great…. Next, we will hear Elon pronounce that v13 will be, “absolutely mind-blowing”… 🙄

1708575102399.png

Elon ALWAYS says glory days are just a release away… classic dangling carrot 🥕 on the end of a stick behavior…

View attachment 1020682
It is not that this has been solved over a million times by others for him to know exactly what it would take to reach the goal.

To me this is like Clark & Lewis kind of expedition. The ocean is just around the corner they thought, not realizing they are still a 1000 miles from Oregon border.

2 things with v12.2.1 tonight:
1. FSD waits for community gate to open before coming in and going out.
2. 2023.44.30.20/FSD shows message "Autopilot speed is limited for emergency vehicles". It happened on freeway when seeing emergency cars in front and on the adjacent lane.
I wasn't clear when and how you got FSD back after you mentioned it was temporarily unavailable. Apparently you have no such problem now.

I wasn't clear when and how you got FSD back after you mentioned it was temporarily unavailable. Apparently you have no such problem now.
At first I thought Tesla wanted to pause v12.2.1 (Teslafi had no car waiting for update). Then when I was on the freeway I didn't see the lane markers on the screen. I thought probably because of the camera calibration (I had a similar problem wilth 10.x). After camera calibration I still had problem: Tab FSD was enabled but when I tapped on it I could not click checkbox Yes to confirm agreement. It was disabled and only checkbox No was enabled. I tried again couple times then when scrolled down the screen checkbox Yes was enabled. Then I was able to confirm the agreement with Tesla and FSD was re-enabled. I still don't understand the exact reason why FSD was temporarily unavailable earlier.

• Informative
Reactions: JHCCAZ
No skeptics here? lol. "Skeptic" here, lurking and watching all the commentary. No need to criticize anything, all you cheerleaders are doing a great job pointing out all the flaws repeatedly. I have a giant bowl of popcorn.

I jest, really I hope there's a break through, but from the cheap seats, all I see are all the same excuses after every "major -fire- update" (just gotta wait until they set the sliders back to normal! needs more training! etc).

10 years minimum, not on this hardware, ever. (coast to coast in dark and rain?)

I am really curious how they'll be able to rapidly update for local law differences when they have to chunk in enormous amounts of training data to get different models to work in all the various conditions. So far, the right turn on red lights seems to be "just run them all, no worries." Brilliant. No notes.

I spend 7 months with mud on all cameras but the front. When I clean them, they get dirty in 2 blocks. That will never be solved.

Not a skeptic, just pragmatic.