Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The other thing I noticed was the guy in the video had more ‘pay attention to the road’ alerts and had them more frequently than I had when I got the strike I mentioned above. (He also took much longer to react to the blue screen than I do.) either I’ve pissed Elon off and FSD doesn’t like me or there’s something else going on with the monitoring in my car.
I noticed that as well - I think he was not paying as much attention as he should have, but was instead probably looking at James during the drive and not seeing the torque requests.

More important - did everyone notice how small an effort it took to satisfy the torque request? You can see him just reach up and barely move the wheel and the request disappeared. This is for those of you here who say the have to make large efforts to satisfy the request. What you see in this video is what is normal - minimal effort to satisfy.

.....More important - did everyone notice how small an effort it took to satisfy the torque request? You can see him just reach up and barely move the wheel and the request disappeared. This is for those of you here who say the have to make large efforts to satisfy the request. What you see in this video is what is normal - minimal effort to satisfy.
It is about experience. I remember in my first months I would try to torque and nag still so then I would start to stress and shake the hell out of the wheel disengaging AP (pre FSD Beta). Now I NEVER think anything and do the same simple tiny pull on the wheel (left or right hand) and it is just automatic and effortless and almost NEVER a disengagement.

I noticed that as well - I think he was not paying as much attention as he should have, but was instead probably looking at James during the drive and not seeing the torque requests.

More important - did everyone notice how small an effort it took to satisfy the torque request? You can see him just reach up and barely move the wheel and the request disappeared. This is for those of you here who say the have to make large efforts to satisfy the request. What you see in this video is what is normal - minimal effort to satisfy.
I only need put one hand at the 9 o'clock position. No nag for me. The only nags I had were when I looked a little bit long at the screen.

If you have no interior camera, it's incredibly easy to get a strike. Just drive through about two miles of inactive construction zones with both hands on the wheel, and pay attention to the road like you're supposed to instead of noticing the flashing on your dashboard until it starts beeping at you, then do that two or three more times close enough together before leaving the construction zone. Boom. Instant strike.

No, not being sarcastic. The above sounds quite difficult to do. If you get the beeping, you just disengage and carry on driving, don't you? Seems like you then wouldn't get a strike. It would be evident right away that the car was being sensitized by the construction zone, so one would just abandon use of the driver assistance feature at that point. This doesn't seem instant at all. You have to repeatedly make the same error, which seems quite difficult!

Of course, it probably is a bit easier to get one without an interior camera, but it sounds like the flashing dashboard is super easy to see. Just have to be using peripheral vision.

Maybe I need to be more cognizant of & sympathetic to people who can't use peripheral vision, but for me it's just never been an issue seeing the flashing screen to my right, even if I miss the initial warning message. Obviously those unlucky enough to have retinal damage which results in peripheral vision loss may be worse off.

Anyway my point was that those who have a hard time avoiding strikes should definitely not have been in the early roll out group. There's no issue with excluding people from the initial rollout who have below average ability in this regard, regardless of whether we think it is "easy" or "hard." The fact is that there are many many people without strikes (ever!) who use FSD frequently. They'd be safer bets than those who have issues with providing full attention to the driving & supervision task.

It's possible that Tesla gets better disengagement data from rolling to users who get strikes, though. They really believe in the system! This was a randomized rollout though it sounds like, so that was not their actual strategy.

100% preventable if they would have released it to the OG crew

Discussed here and here too. Kind of an asinine decision. Some of the people posting videos of v12...well...I guess it'll be released to everyone eventually, so maybe it doesn't really matter? It's really surprising to me there are not more accidents in general. I think it just goes to show how difficult it is to get in accidents if you're driving relatively "normally" and not drunk or far exceeding the speed of other vehicles.

Wonder if v12 is improved enough for a false sense of security and when it does something unpredictable the drivers are unprepared to react.
Yes, a very predictable consequence of NN approach, even to someone who knows nothing about how they work.

Looking forward to a new smoother v12 which will still be unusable with passengers in the vehicle, due to its propensity to do weird things unpredictably.

Hopefully no more accidents. Unfortunately the random rollout has substantially increased risk of an accident before the next release.

They should have followed the tried and tested same method of Influencers first and then Early Access. That would be a LOT safer and probably provided better feedback results.
Roll out to:
1) Users above certain number of miles (imperfect due to varying number of drivers, but ok)
2) No strikes
3) People who have submitted some bug reports, maybe.

This would result in a good random distribution geographically. And a fair amount fewer irresponsible driving demonstrations, perhaps.

Maybe it's just me, but I am far less likely to use V12 unless they keep a robust prediction visual on the screen. From a trust perspective I don't like the disconnect now that exists between what's in screen and what decision V12 makes
What? There’s literally no way to look at the screen while driving as a means of obtaining actionable info. It’s just not useful at all, except for figuring out what happened via in-cabin video recording afterwards.

It’s not like you drive along and make decisions about whether to take over based on what is on the screen! It would never work - display latency, plus human interpretive latency, plus mapping-visualization-to-actual-environment latency would be huge. Better to just keep eyeballs on what is happening outside the car. And in fact it is the only thing that works.

I am just hoping v12 slows down for red lights in a timely manner. v11: Literally failed to slow down for lead traffic at every red light on Mira Mesa this morning, when there is traffic things seem worse. About six interventions in seven miles. All reported to Tesla. Still had to use brakes sometimes, even after the intervention.

in the video had more ‘pay attention to the road’ alerts and had them more frequently than I had when I got the strike I mentioned above.
He had two pay attention warnings (did I miss one?). That is not going to yield a strike in this time period.

All of his wheel nags were satisfied before proceeding to great stridency.

You have to be more negligent than this (he was HIGHLY negligent: for some reason he did not have both his hands on the wheel at ~9 and ~3, which I just cannot wrap my head around, so he had many more torque nags than he should have, but they were all satisfied so they don’t count) to get a strike. (With current software - prior buggy versions, who knows - I never had problems but can’t exclude possibility of issues.)

- I think he was not paying as much attention as he should have, but was instead probably looking at James during the drive and not seeing the torque requests.
For both the nags he was caressing the screen to put in new waypoints or to check the route. Pretty irresponsible, but at least the speeds were low. If he has severe peripheral vision limitations as many on this forum apparently do, though, it could be quite dangerous.

Last edited:
Reactions: FSDtester#1
He had two pay attention warnings (did I miss one?). That is not going to yield a strike in this time period.

All of his wheel nags were satisfied before proceeding to great stridency.

You have to be more negligent than this (he was HIGHLY negligent: for some reason he did not have both his hands on the wheel at ~9 and ~3, which I just cannot wrap my head around, so he had many more torque nags than he should have, but they were all satisfied so they don’t count) to get a strike. (With current software - prior buggy versions, who knows - I never had problems but can’t exclude possibility of issues.)
I thought I saw 3 and every time he got them he kept looking at the screen. He also waited quite a while to dismiss the other nags.

When I got my strike the other day I had 2 pay attention nags over 30 min, one of which was when I was watching traffic. All the other nags I dismissed immediately. Towards the end of the drive I saw the blue screen and torqued the wheel within 1-2 seconds and got the strike as I was tugging the wheel. There really is no rhyme or reason to the nags or strikes.

I thought I saw 3 and every time he got them he kept looking at the screen. He also waited quite a while to dismiss the other nags.

When I got my strike the other day I had 2 pay attention nags over 30 min, one of which was when I was watching traffic. All the other nags I dismissed immediately. Towards the end of the drive I saw the blue screen and torqued the wheel within 1-2 seconds and got the strike as I was tugging the wheel. There really is no rhyme or reason to the nags or strikes.
I believe it's 3 within a 10 mile stretch is a strike.

There really is rhyme and reason...you'll get nagged more in more complex situations and the less you have constant torque, the more you need to look directly forward and vis versa.

I believe it's 3 within a 10 mile stretch is a strike.

There really is rhyme and reason...you'll get nagged more in more complex situations and the less you have constant torque, the more you need to look directly forward and vis versa.
Well I had less than 3 and more than 10 miles, so that wasn’t it. I’ve had nags when I’m applying constant torque, and gotten nags every 10 seconds on a deserted, straight 2 lane road in the middle of the day. I’ve also gotten ‘pay attention’ nags when I’m staring straight ahead.

I’ve given up on applying constant torque, though - I’ve tried all the suggestions and have yet to find a technique that works, is comfortable, not fatiguing and doesn’t result in accidental disengagements.

Like I’ve said before - I don’t support nag-defeat devices but the nag system Tesla has implemented is annoying enough that I can understand why people would use one.

Well I had less than 3 and more than 10 miles, so that wasn’t it. I’ve had nags when I’m applying constant torque, and gotten nags every 10 seconds on a deserted, straight 2 lane road in the middle of the day. I’ve also gotten ‘pay attention’ nags when I’m staring straight ahead.

I’ve given up on applying constant torque, though - I’ve tried all the suggestions and have yet to find a technique that works, is comfortable, not fatiguing and doesn’t result in accidental disengagements.

Like I’ve said before - I don’t support nag-defeat devices but the nag system Tesla has implemented is annoying enough that I can understand why people would use one.
It literally takes 2 fingers resting on the wheel or yoke (yoke is the easiest).

I can't relate...3 different Teslas, no effort, no strikeouts.

show me a comfortable position to rear 2 fingers that provides enough torque and doesn’t disengage when the car turns.

I can only give my experience for my car but I’ve tried. It doesn’t work.
We've had this conversation before...why try to keep your hands on the wheel when it turns?

I take my hand off, either put my hands in my lap or hover above it. There are tons of testers who never get strikes and don't disengage. Maybe something could be wrong with your car, but it could also be that you are over thinking things.

Reactions: rlsd
Don’t think about it. Just keep your hands extremely comfortably on the wheel at 9 and 3, all the time, and don’t worry about torque.
Just don’t think, and only respond if you see a nag (I see one every 10-20 minutes or so on average I guess?).
Since you have IR illuminators you should have excellent performance. It should be able to see your eyes well in all conditions.

Just chill and enjoy actively driving your car. That is the key. All the more so with v12 - it looks like this will be even more essential.

Don’t think about it. Just keep your hands extremely comfortably on the wheel at 9 and 3, all the time, and don’t worry about torque.
Just don’t think, and only respond if you see a nag (I see one every 10-20 minutes or so on average I guess?).
Since you have IR illuminators you should have excellent performance. It should be able to see your eyes well in all conditions.

Just chill and enjoy actively driving your car. That is the key. All the more so with v12 - it looks like this will be even more essential.
I gotta admit, having the heads up display on the S is a big advantage, because that is where it flashes and nags. Very hard to miss. I have driven 2 different Y's as loaners on fsd and it is much easier on the S

Edit: See Binnacle below..

Last edited:
Think you mean binnacle unless you installed a heads up on your S.
Yeah, what he said!!

Now I have to go Google that damn word... thanks a lot..

1709682592441.png

That's a Google image of a binnacle.. I don't think that is in front of my yoke.
Could be wrong, I like to drink adult beverages..

View attachment 1024984

That's a Google image of a binnacle.. I don't think that is in front of my yoke.
Could be wrong, I like to drink adult beverages..
LOL that's a compass binnacle, for use on an iron or steel ship where it needs those big steel balls for magnetic influence correction (in case the Helmsman doesn't have a pair of his own, which he should if he's going to steer a giant ship).

You might note that this particular binnacle not bolted to the deck of a ship, but is sitting in someone's living room, where the owner can dream of adventures at sea while sipping his own adult beverages.

First thanks for all your great feedback on V12. Second, do you drive with sunglasses and if yes does V12 still lack the ability to properly monitor the driver with the camera?
If it's sunny then I drive with sunglasses. I don't know whether it affects the camera or not. I will look at the screen to see if I get nagged.
I used to wear reading glasses to defeat nags at night with v11. Now I don't need to wear with v12

• Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1

9 and 3 is not comfortable for me for long periods, I’ve tried it.

Also, I don’t have IR illuminators. I’ve tried using my phone to image the camera at night and see nothing.
We've had this conversation before...why try to keep your hands on the wheel when it turns?

I take my hand off, either put my hands in my lap or hover above it. There are tons of testers who never get strikes and don't disengage. Maybe something could be wrong with your car, but it could also be that you are over thinking things.
Many of my ‘pay attention’ nags occur at turns because I’m…. Looking at traffic to make sure the turn is safe!

The best/easiest method I’ve found is to keep my elbow on the armrest with my hand on my knee right next to the steering wheel. As soon as I see the blue screen I reach up and tug the wheel. (If I’m in a high risk situation I’ll have both hands right over the wheel.) This was the same technique I was using when I got my strike last week. I’ve tried putting. Constant torque and I either get a sore back/neck or I disengage or both.