Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you're reading too much into it. Lots of guys who've been doing this for 2+ years haven't gotten it yet like @Ramphex . Some of them are my neighbors.
Definitely. Heck I was one of the first people to have a car with any form of Autopilot (AP1) back in October of 2014 and I don’t have it either.

At this point Tesla is well past their targeted rollout to special people. People are now mostly at the mercy of their hardware configuration, location, and luck.

🦫 Update, V12 is no longer perfect with Beavers an idiot installed into a roadway.
It's only an inch or so above the street and made of copper or something similar.
It tried to avoid the beaver 🦫 pulling into my neighborhood tonight. 😪😪
It probably ended up hitting a few inches of the beaver.
Nowhere near as violent as V11 trying to avoid it, but noticeable.
So about 21 beaver misses, 1 light touch.
No more Beaver beer bets...
This beaver is fascinating. I need to see a picture of it.

EVERYONE: I sent a Report a couple of weeks ago and asked this thread be made a Sticky and it was denied.

This is by far the dominate thread and needs to be a Sticky

So Everyone send a Report asking it to be made a Sticky.

Also think the named should be changed to V12 Experiences
Will send another myself right now. Only takes 10 seconds.

Last edited:
The common low-hanging-fruit problems we're seeing, like weird stopping behavior at typical stop signs, and driving speeds on typical streets, I fully expect to be solved this year. And agreed that solving these issues alone may be enough to make it a useful L2 system for straight-line city-street driving. (By "useful", I mean one that is less mentally taxing to have on than off, without compromising safety. It's already there on the highway.)

I like your definition of "useful". It succinctly summarizes my feeling but when you say 'highway' do you mean controlled access highway? Because here in Ontario it is not less mentally taxing on uncontrolled highways (too much diving into turning lanes). My FSD supportive husband often turns it and TACC off while on highway drives because of stress involved in using it.

But of course, there is an enormous gulf between "useful L2" and "L4". I am not yet convinced that city-streets L4 is solvable with current hardware (HW4), even with a decade of software refinement. For highway L3, my guess is 2026; i is emphatically not there now. I just did a 200mi highway drive yesterday, with a handful of critical interventions, most involving getting into the wrong lane or ramp. I also expect this to improve dramatically in the next year or two.

I've got HW3, so not likely to ever see city streets usefulness. And waiting to 2026 for even undivided highway usefulness is too long for me. By then I'll be six years into my seven year car ownership cycle and the only compelling reason to stretch out our ownership like we did with the PriusV would be solid L2 on city streets. Instead, another almost 2 years of irritating (nags when I'm holding the wheel and looking straight ahead instead of at the screen and thus miss the flashing blue) and untrustworthy L2 on undivided highways will be the nail in our ownership of this car.

The irritation of the nags is something that I feel has to be resolved before FSD is 'useful' by your excellent definition. There's a stress that comes from worrying about a strike and so that adds to the stress of wondering if the car is going to do something dangerous. With both HW3 and HW4, this is an unresolvable "in the car" lack of hardware issue. The option to pay to upgrade my steering wheel to one that could feel I'm holding it in order to get rid of nags would be tempting but tesla is doubling down on the ineffective interior camera instead.

• Informative
Reactions: Ben W and primedive
Congrats! It will be interesting to see if it convinces you to pay to subscribe or if you'll let it lapse and try again from time to time as there are new releases.
I was thinking that if I did get v12 before FSD expired that I would subscribe for a month since 1.5 weeks won’t be enough time to judge. Plus hearing that updates will be every two weeks really helped.

Reactions: SidetrackedSue
Saw an Ohio pop in there, cmon Pennsylvania!

Two HW4 Model Ys in PA. So we at least know it's possible in the state.

1710852013688.png

This isnt so hard--in theory. The maps have metadata about the lanes in each intersection and where they can turn. Car would have to recognize this sufficiently ahead of time and pre-emptively match the lanes now to the needed lane at the intersection, but it can do some of this already. It just makes mistakes.
You make an interesting point. At least for now, V12 isn't entirely based on vision. It's more like a driver who can simultaneously control the vehicle by and read a map.

EVERYONE: I sent a Report a couple of weeks ago and asked this thread be made a Sticky and it was denied.

This is by far the dominate thread and needs to be a Sticky

So Everyone send a Report asking it to be made a Sticky.

Also think the named should be changed to V12 Experiences
Will send another myself right now. Only takes 10 seconds.
As soon as it's.made a sticky, V13 will pop. 😉

Very good first drive. Addressed the majority of problems I've been having so pretty happy.
Only 1 safety issue, where FSD tried to take a left out of a small road even though a no turn sign was visible.
Agree with others who have mentioned the slowness with auto speed parameter on. However, there were places where this worked great where going slower was appropriate. If Tesla used the current setting as chill mode and bumped the speed up for average and another bump up for assertive that might help.
Next I'll try some of the obstructed view intersections I have.

1710854800369.png

The progress is amazing, but for me, auto-steer is already pretty much what I need. An improved auto-steer without phantom braking or excessive nagging would be great. I hope some of this work into FSD translates into better auto-steer for the rest of us. For driving in the city, what I really want is something that will help to get me out of trouble if someone is about to crash into me, if someone darts into the road, and so on, so a sort of "emergency FSD".

I've tested FSD 11 several times, and even with FSD 12 improving some things, I would find it more stressful to have to babysit the car rather than to just drive myself. For example, just forcing the full stops isn't great when you live in an area that literally has stop signs every 200 feet.

What Tesla is doing is immensely valuable, but will be more useful when it can actually replace a personal vehicle. The "ChatGPT" moment is going to come when they are competing with Waymo, IMO. In that case, maybe I'll care less about the stops. 😁